1 song by an artist

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh dear, I do hate to have to keep saying NO to you!

 
I am being very good and not choosing solo artists where they already have a band track (and vice versa - hence why I have a Reed/Cale track but not a Velvet Underground one).

Not really in 1-10 order although I have listed it that way

1. The Smiths - London

2. Joy Division - Shadowplay

3. David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World

4. Lou Reed / John Cale - Starlight

5. Neil Young - Don't Let it Bring You Down

6. Johnny Cash - Hurt

7. Tindersticks - Say Goodbye to the City

8. Joni Mitchell - The Last Time I Saw Richard

9. The Cure - A Night Like This

10. Jeff Buckley - Lover, You SHould've Come Over

 
Great smiths and cure choices Loz though I'm surprised of all the johnny cash songs to choose from you've gone for a cover!

 
I did hum and hah over that for a while bjd and nearly didn't choose it for that very reason.

However it is a stunning cover (a thousand times better than the original) and is a fine example of someone so late in their career still being able to deliver a song that is as relevant to the modern music market as anything they ever did when they were in their prime. There are not too many aging artists that can say the same.

 
However it is a stunning cover (a thousand times better than the original) and is a fine example of someone so late in their career still being able to deliver a song that is as relevant to the modern music market as anything they ever did when they were in their prime. There are not too many aging artists that can say the same.
I totally agree with the underlined bit, and for that i think Rick Rubin has to take a fair amount of the credit, though i have to say i do prefer the original. I love that NIN album and it fits perfectly right there at the end. Still, you say tomato...

 
ive tried to do this but i simply cant. every time i get to ten i remember another 2 or 3 and simply cant decide. oh and moi, is it me?

 
I've made a list of my favourite songs by my favourite artists, but to condense them down to a Top Ten is totally impossible. I spent ages trying to whittle them down but couldn't make my mind up. I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, in the end I thought "f*ck it" and decided to list the ones who made the final edit - though I'm sure there's loads more that I didn't remember.

So, apologies all round for not sticking to the rules of Top Ten, I've finally ended up with a top 263, in a rough chronological order: -

Hank Williams - Lost Highway

John Lee Hooker - Dimples

Howlin' Wolf - Smokestack Lightnin'

Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy

Bo Diddley - Bring It To Jerome

Fats Domino - Walkin' To New Orleans

Gene Vincent - Blue Jean Bop

Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

Eddie Cochran - C'mon Everybody

Snooks Eaglin - Nine Pound Steel

Buddy Holly - Rave On

Little Richard - Long Tall Sally

Contours - Do You Love Me

Isley Brothers - Shout (pts 1 & 2)

Sam Cooke - Twistin' The Night Away

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - You've Really Got A Hold On Me

Roy Orbison - It's Over

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Dancing In The Street

Bob Dylan - It Ain't Me Babe

Phil Ochs - I Ain't Marching Anymore

Animals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place

Yardbirds - For Your Love

James Brown - I Got You (I Feel Good)

Pretty Things - Rosalyn

Kinks - Tired Of Waiting For You

Otis Redding - I've Been Loving You Too Long

Chuck Berry - No Particular Place To Go

Joe Tex - I've Got To Do A Little Better

Spencer Davis Group - Keep On Running

Supremes - Stop! In The Name Of Love

Donovan - Hey Gyp (Dig The Slowness)

Prince Buster - Ghost Dance

The Sonics - Psycho

Lorraine Ellison - Stay With Me Baby

Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound Of Silence

Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted

Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

Mamas & Papas - Monday Monday

Wilson Pickett - Don't Knock My Love

Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever

Tammi Terrell (with Marvin Gaye) - You're All I Need To Get By

Young Rascals - Groovin'

Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Doors - Break On Through

Bee Gees - I've Gotta Get A Message To You

Cream - I Feel Free

Leonard Cohen - Suzanne

Sam & Dave - Soul Man

Dandy Livingstone - Rudy, A Message To You

Dr.John - Jump Sturdy

Four Tops - Do What You Gotta Do

Janis Joplin - Piece Of My Heart

Country Joe & The Fish - Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine

Byrds - Wasn't Born To Follow

William Bell (with Judy Clay) - Private Number

Laurel Aitken - Jesse James

Manfred Mann - Mighty Quinn

Aretha Franklin - I Say A Little Prayer

Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Canned Heat - On The Road Again

Small Faces - Long Agos And Worlds Apart

Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billy Joe

Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

Zombies - Time Of The Season

Grateful Dead - Truckin'

Toots & The Maytals - Pressure Drop

Jimi Hendrix - Red House (Hendrix In The West version)

Jackie Wilson - I Get The Sweetest Feeling

Marianne Faithfull - Sister Morphine

Blood Sweat & Tears - You've Made Me So Very Happy

Joe Cocker - Delta Lady

Slim Smith - My Conversation

Tremeloes - (Call Me) Number One

Pink Floyd - Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (Ummagumma version)

Moby Grape - Ain't That A Shame

Booker T & The MGs - Time Is Tight

Flying Burrito Brothers - Wild Horses

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Teach Your Children

Kris Kristofferson - Me & Bobby McGee

Undisputed Truth - Smiling Faces Sometimes

Marmalade - Reflections Of My Life

Melodians - Sweet Sensation

Jr.Walker & All Stars - What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)

Jimmy Cliff - Many Rivers To Cross

MC5 - Kick Out The Jams (live)

Derrick Morgan - The Moon Hop

Tim Buckley - I Had A Talk With My Woman

Jackson 5 - I Want You Back

Who - Magic Bus (Live At Leeds version)

Scotty - Draw Your Brakes

Beach Boys - Tears In The Morning

Desmond Dekker - Pickney Gal

Grand Funk Railroad - Inside Looking Out

Edwin Starr - War

Ken Boothe - Freedom Street

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Lee Perry - I Am A Madman

Van Morrison - Cyprus Avenue

It's A Beautiful Day - White Bird

Donny Hathaway - The Ghetto

Cat Stevens - Father And Son

Iggy & The Stooges - Search And Destroy

Elvis Presley - The Wonder Of You

Nick Drake - River Man

Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair

Joni Mitchell - Carey

Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up

John Lennon - Mother

Lindisfarne - Clear White Light

Santana - Samba Pa Ti

Slade - Get Down And Get With It

Al Green - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart

Status Quo - Gerdundula

Stevie Wonder - Superstition

Chairmen Of The Board - Give Me Just A Little More Time

Free - The Hunter (Free Live version)

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Up Around The Bend

T.Rex - Jeepster

Isaac Hayes - I Stand Accused (long version)

Spooky Tooth - Society's Child

Cher - Gypsy's, Tramps & Thieves (ode to scousers)

Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride (The Road Goes Ever On live version)

Buffy Sainte-Marie - Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee

Faces - Stay With Me

Staple Singers - I'll Take You There

Stone The Crows - One Five Eight

Wishbone Ash - Sometime World

Rolling Stones - Tumbling Dice

Chi-Lites - Oh Girl

David Bowie - Rock & Roll Suicide

Stray - All In Your Mind

Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water

Rod Stewart - Mandolin Wind

Move - Do Ya

Temptations - Papa Was A Rollin' Stone

Family - Burlesque

Moody Blues - Isn't Life Strange

Lou Reed - Vicious

Humble Pie - Hot'n'Nasty

Eagles - Tequila Sunrise

Queen - Now I'm Here

New York Dolls - Personality Crisis

Paul Simon - Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard

Barry White - Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe

Groundhogs - Cherry Red

Thin Lizzy - The Rocker (Vagabonds Of The Western World version)

Steely Dan - Reelin' In The Years

Wings - Maybe I'm Amazed

Nazareth - Vigilante Man

Millie Jackson - (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right (live version)

Bad Company - Shooting Star

Diana Ross - Touch Me In The Morning

Ohio Players - Fire

Roxy Music - Do The Strand

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia

Budgie - Breadfan

Linda Lewis - Rock-A-Doodle-Doo

Ike & Tina Turner - Nutbush City Limits

Horslips - Dearg Doom

ZZ Top - Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers

Terry Reid - River

Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin'

U-Roy - Natty Rebel

Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown

Rory Gallagher - Walk On Hot Coals (Irish Tour '74 version)

Heavy Metal Kids - Rock'n'Roll Man

War - Low Rider

Black Oak Arkansas - Jim Dandy

Cockney Rebel - Tumbling Down

Syreeta - Harmour Love

Genesis - I Know What I Like

Neil Young - Don't Let It Bring You Down

Rufus - Tell Me Something Good

Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You

Judge Dread - Bring Back The Skins

Frankie Miller - Take Good Care Of Yourself

Four Seasons - December 1963 (Oh What A Night)

Paul Kossoff - Time Away

Big Youth - Lightning Flash (Weak Heart Drop)

Ann Peebles - (You Keep Me) Hanging On

David Allan Coe - If That Ain't Country

Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Faith Healer (SAHB Live version)

Hawkwind - Psychedelic Warlords (Disappear In Smoke)

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

Led Zeppelin - Trampled Underfoot

Max Romeo & Upsetters - War Ina Babylon

Dr.Feelgood - Roxette

Parliament Funkadelic - Get Off Your Ass And Jam

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird (One More From The Road live version)

Journey - Look Into The Future

Ijahman - Jah Heavy Load

ELO - Livin' Thing

Donna Summer - I Feel Love

Chicago - If You Leave Me Now

Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant

Linton Kwesi Johnson - Dread Beat An' Blood

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams

Clash - Clash City Rockers

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Exodus (longer album version)

Police - So Lonely

Pointer Sisters - Fire

Peter Tosh - Stepping Razor

Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper

Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Roadrunner (Once)

Blondie - Heart Of Glass

Rainbow - Stargazer

Streetwalkers - Walking On Waters

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock (If You Want Blood You've Got It live version)

Boomtown Rats - Mary Of The 4th Form

Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want To Go Home

Boston - More Than A Feeling

Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster

Saints - This Perfect Day

Commodores - Easy

UFO - Doctor Doctor (Strangers In The Night live version)

Nils Lofgren - No Mercy

Steve Miller Band - Take The Money And Run

Nick Lowe - Switchboard Susan

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Refugee

Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight

Stranglers - Something Better Change

Dave Edmunds - Queen Of Hearts

Jam - Going Underground

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Ramones - Sheena Is A Punk Rocker

Undertones - Teenage Kicks

Joe Jackson - I'm The Man

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights

Bob Seger - Hollywood Nights

Madness - Night Boat To Cairo

Specials - Ghost Town

Mighty Diamonds - Right Time

Pretenders - Stop Your Sobbing

Hank Williams Jr. - A Country Boy Can Survive

George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today

Squeeze - Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)

Rose Tattoo - The Butcher And Fast Eddie

Willie Nelson - Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain

Motorhead - Ace Of Spades

Gregory Isaacs - Night Nurse

Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God

Prince - Little Red Corvette

Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Bangles - Eternal Flame

Robert Palmer - Addicted To Love

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood

Crowded House - Weather With You

Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkways (live version)

Tanita Tikaram - Cathedral Song

Michelle Shocked - Anchorage

Lucky Dube - Going Back To My Roots (Captured Live version)

Suzanne Vega - Luka

Robbie Robertson - Somewhere Down The Crazy River

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

Simply Red - Holding Back The Years

Sinead O'Connor - Sacrifice

Steve Earle - Ben McCulloch

Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger

Morrissey - Piccadilly Palare

Johnny Cash - Hurt

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bluebeard must be a mutant who was counting up to ten on his fingers!

 
If it's not Leslie-Ann Down it's Nanette Newman

 
Bluebeard,

Dolly Parton? I will Always Love You?

where did that one come from, sentimental value I assume.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top