Arsenal v Chelsea on 25th Aug 1984

erskblue

Legend
Messages
38,784
Reaction score
30,053
Here we go again. Thought I'd continue on from that season !

Our first game of the 1984/85 season is away to Arsenal on Sat 25th August. Looks like it's live on ITV and a 11.30 am kick off.

Quiet close season signing wise, with only Clive Walker leaving to Sunderland for £75,000 and Doug Rougvie arriving for £150,000 from the Scottish double winners, Aberdeen.

A round up below so far, of our pre season friendlies .

3th Aug we beat Aberystwyth Town 4-1 in a friendly

4th Aug  we beat Wrexham 1-0 in a friendly

7th Aug we lost to Bristol City 0-1 in a friendly

Two more friendlies to go until the big kick off. On 15th Aug we play Brentford and then on the 21st Aug we play Doncaster Rovers .

 
1984-85.jpg
 Photo courtesey of the great bounder friardale site.

I'll be saying that very often...

 
Memories of the Arsenal game....

We’d just come back from a lads holiday in San Antonio. Six of us went to the game; four Chelsea and two Arsenal. Parked up round the back of Highbury Fields, saw a big black and white mob of Goooners, a good couple of hundred, outside Highbury and Islington Station.

We were bottom left of the Clock End as you look down the pitch. I remember it being packed but not as big a squash as Grimsby or QPHa Boxing Day for example.

Arsenal mates who were in the North Bank said it was the most full they’d seen the Clock End, which included when Villa won the league there a couple of years before, which I went to some strange reason- think the gate for that one was about 56,000 BTW.

My cousin who was big into FV was with Chelsea in the North Bank. It didn’t go off- can’t remember whether they stayed there incognito for the whole game, but he said he didn’t rate their firm on the evidence of what he saw that day.

Got very pissed after at Victoria, and that’s about it.

 
Here we go again. Thought I'd continue on from that season !

Our first game of the 1984/85 season is away to Arsenal on Sat 25th August. Looks like it's live on ITV and a 11.30 am kick off.

Quiet close season signing wise, with only Clive Walker leaving to Sunderland for £75,000 and Doug Rougvie arriving for £150,000 from the Scottish double winners, Aberdeen.

A round up below so far, of our pre season friendlies .

3th Aug we beat Aberystwyth Town 4-1 in a friendly

4th Aug  we beat Wrexham 1-0 in a friendly

7th Aug we lost to Bristol City 0-1 in a friendly

Two more friendlies to go until the big kick off. On 15th Aug we play Brentford and then on the 21st Aug we play Doncaster Rovers .
Been waiting for this thread Ersk, thanks, look forward to the read and people's stories and comments

 
pat-jennings-of-arsenal-punches-the-ball-clear-during-the-canon-one-picture-id954284256
 Pat Jennings punches clear from Kerry Dixon in front of the massive Chelsea support in the Clock End.

 
My cousin who was big into FV was with Chelsea in the North Bank. It didn’t go off- can’t remember whether they stayed there incognito for the whole game, but he said he didn’t rate their firm on the evidence of what he saw that day.
From what I saw in the Sardine packed Clock End, was a Chelsea mob ( Hickey's? ) who got sussed by Old Bill at the back where the open terrace becomes covered. They were then moved down to the front & escorted round or into the paddock.
After the game we were walking en mass past their East Stand, when suddenly a gap appeared as Denton & his crew were walking the opp way through us. To be honest they threw a few 'right handers', & I didn't see much resistance as some of ours scattered ( obviously not our 'main guys',) which caused many of us to get split up.
I lost my mates, & when I got back to Finsbury Park, I waited over the road outside a Betting shop. Within a few mins who should suddenly walk round the corner with his crony's, yep you've guessed!.
Probably because I was on my own & wasn't wearing a CFC shirt, they stared & walked by. Somewhat a reality check as I had been married 6 years ( getting grief for still going to games ) & my eldest son was 3 months old at the time. Had I got home bruised & battered, would never had heard the last of it!.
 

 
What a morning! Remember queuing up around 9am, the queue went up the hill and round the corner. The team bus came down the hill to be welcomed by thousands of boys in blue!

I stood halfway up the clock end, practically in line where Kerry shot from for his goal. The thing that made me laugh  was when the first fan appeared on the North Bank a big cheer went up from the already packed Clock end! I think I would have been a bit self conscious in that situation with thousands taking the P&£s out of you.

i remember it being very hot and we were packed in really tight! When Kerry scored I went dizzy from shouting! What a adrenaline rush, we had arrived and were ready for the first division 

 
Great day out. Still remember big Doug’s tackle that crunched one of theirs (can’t recall who though) and of course, that goal..

Chelsea here, Chelsea there...

 
Great day out. Still remember big Doug’s tackle that crunched one of theirs (can’t recall who though) and of course, that goal..

Chelsea here, Chelsea there...
Was it Viv Anderson?

 
One more Pre Season Friendly to go. v Doncaster Rovers on 21st August 1984.

How times have changed re who we play in Pre Season Friendly Matches !

 
Back
Top