I should just say one more thing, I haven't addressed the Scouse objection that our ground was bigger and that this helped our average attendances be higher. There is probably some truth in this and I admit I haven't fully checked it out myself yet. I will get around to it though but it might take some time. However, I will say this, my suspicion is that it doesn't affect things that much at least not as much as one might think.
There are two reasons for this. Firstly, we only got those mega-high attendances (70k +) about once a season and certainly not every year. They weren't a regular occurrence, it wasn't like it happened three, four or five times a season and skewed our average upwards.
Secondly, the way you work out how this affects average attendances between two teams is by looking at your rivals maximum capacity, taking the numbers above that maximum that Chelsea got and dividing that number by the number of games that season. i.e. Arsenal got 72,500 against Spurs in 1921 so Highbury could hold that many (at least). Given that they could get that number in their ground the advantage we had over them was only the difference between 72,500 and whatever we got. Obviously, in this case, we wouldn't gain much advantage over Arsenal with a crowd in the 70,000s. It's not our fault they couldn't squeeze that many in again until 1935 when they got 73,295 against Sunderland. So if we got 76k against Spurs in 1920 it only gave us an advantage over the season of somewhere between 2,705 (76k - 73,295) and 3,500 (76k - 72,500). This is only 167 or 128 people per match (21 home games in those days).
It's true that Anfield didn't have a very high capacity (it's highest crowd was 58,757 against us in 1949/50 though I don't know if that was its absolute maximum) so any seasons with attendances higher than this at the Bridge would have to be subject to checking how this affected our average compared to theirs but, again, I don't think it would destroy the obviously higher attendances I outlined above. I guess we shall see. Sometime. Later. I've done enough for now.
There are two reasons for this. Firstly, we only got those mega-high attendances (70k +) about once a season and certainly not every year. They weren't a regular occurrence, it wasn't like it happened three, four or five times a season and skewed our average upwards.
Secondly, the way you work out how this affects average attendances between two teams is by looking at your rivals maximum capacity, taking the numbers above that maximum that Chelsea got and dividing that number by the number of games that season. i.e. Arsenal got 72,500 against Spurs in 1921 so Highbury could hold that many (at least). Given that they could get that number in their ground the advantage we had over them was only the difference between 72,500 and whatever we got. Obviously, in this case, we wouldn't gain much advantage over Arsenal with a crowd in the 70,000s. It's not our fault they couldn't squeeze that many in again until 1935 when they got 73,295 against Sunderland. So if we got 76k against Spurs in 1920 it only gave us an advantage over the season of somewhere between 2,705 (76k - 73,295) and 3,500 (76k - 72,500). This is only 167 or 128 people per match (21 home games in those days).
It's true that Anfield didn't have a very high capacity (it's highest crowd was 58,757 against us in 1949/50 though I don't know if that was its absolute maximum) so any seasons with attendances higher than this at the Bridge would have to be subject to checking how this affected our average compared to theirs but, again, I don't think it would destroy the obviously higher attendances I outlined above. I guess we shall see. Sometime. Later. I've done enough for now.