Best start to a film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spudulike

Pobeda!
Messages
7,299
Reaction score
1,330

What's your favourite film begining? It's an important point because the film wants your attention. Mine is the Max Von Sydow-voiced intro to von Trier's 'Europa'.

I've no idea how to post the clip but the url is above. Please excuse my lack of technical knowledge and post your favourite film beginnings.

Edit: jeez - no idea how I did that! ...

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I love the opening scene to Lost in Translation. I'd have been happy if it had lasted for the duration of the film>


 
I'm sure there are loads but the one that immediately comes to mind is Die Hard With a Vengeance.

.... I love me a bit of Die Hard. 

 
Pulp Fiction.

"Any of you f**king pricks MOVE, and I'll execute every motherf**king last one of ya!"

That whole scene is brilliant. An amazing start to a film as you'll ever see.

 
Pulp Fiction.

"Any of you f**king pricks MOVE, and I'll execute every motherf**king last one of ya!"

That whole scene is brilliant. An amazing start to a film as you'll ever see.
That's a pretty good pick! 

Most QT films have a pretty good opening, doesn't Inglorious Basterds start with the scene on the French diary farm with Christophe Waltz sniffing out the jews hiding under the floor with him switching from speaking English, German and French throughout. 

 
That's a pretty good pick! 

Most QT films have a pretty good opening, doesn't Inglorious Basterds start with the scene on the French diary farm with Christophe Waltz sniffing out the jews hiding under the floor with him switching from speaking English, German and French throughout. 
Yes! It's my favourite QT film and that opening is both tense and moving. Watching the dairy farmer silently leak tears as he points to the positions under the floor where the jews are hiding...love it.

I'm ashamed this one slipped my mind!

 
Yes! It's my favourite QT film and that opening is both tense and moving. Watching the dairy farmer silently leak tears as he points to the positions under the floor where the jews are hiding...love it.

I'm ashamed this one slipped my mind!

I love it when Waltz pulls out his pipe which is ridiculously larger than the dairy farmers. 

tumblr_lr25fp99Nb1qig3dlo1_r2_500.gif


 
I have two:  a)  The slow motion walk at the beginning of 'Reservoir Dogs', and b) the camera pointed at the feet during a walkup to the stage in 'Stop Making Sense'.

 
Good thread. A few of my faves in no particular order:

Goodfellas

Apocalypse Now

Betty Blue

The Searchers

Blue Velvet

The Conversation

 

The Searchers: very good choice. Was second on my list. Not a long enough clip - will find another.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

I forgot this - Chisum - the music, paintings and John Wayne on his horse under that tree...

 
Just because they are indented into pop culture you would have to say the start of the Star Wars films.

 
"Lost in Translation" Thankyou, what a wonderful start to my day


 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top