Brazil 1970 - The best ever?

Backbiter

An Untouchable
Messages
8,517
Reaction score
4,141
If you've read about the legend of Pele, Jairzinho, Rivelino, Tostao, Gerson, Carlos Alberto, Clodoaldo and a bunch of forgotten 'defenders', here's a compilation from the 1970 WC that's worth a look:




 
Slightly before the time I started watching football.

They were a fantastic team.

Carlos Alberto goal on the Final v Italy summed this team up.

 
Definetly one of the best international teams, so many players in their prime and wonderful to watch. The tournament that cemented Pele as the worlds best. My own two favourite memories of him, the attempt from the halfway line against Czech( I think) and the dummy he sold the keeper against Peru, neither resulted in a goal though both showed his genius.

It has to be said though, we didn't have a bad team there ourselves and pushed the Brazilians all the way in the group game, a match played at noon local time in over 100 degree heat. In the quarters we should have beaten West Germany and would possibly have gone on to meet the Brazilians again in the final.

 
One of the great images from the 1970 World Cup:

16683831_10211403174492759_4628777075156801039_n.jpg


 
I'm just a bit young for that one but I remember collecting a world cup coin collection when my dad got petrol! 1974 or 1978 are the stand out world cup tournaments for me. The Netherlands in 74 - amazing and the flair and atmosphere of Argentina's games in 78 - I had simply seen nothing like it. 

 
The Brazilian team that is my favourite is the 1982 one. Zico,Socrates,Junior. Some team. Remember being gutted when they lost 3-2 to Italy and went out of the World Cup.

 
The bbc showed the full Brazil v England game from 1970 before I think the 2002 World Cup.

Jairzinho was some player in that Brazilian side.

Thanks to the footage on youtube we can enjoy watching great football from this era again and again.

Well I do anyway.

 
The bbc showed the full Brazil v England game from 1970 before I think the 2002 World Cup.

Jairzinho was some player in that Brazilian side.

Thanks to the footage on youtube we can enjoy watching great football from this era again and again.

Well I do anyway.
The 1970 Brazilian team was a great side as was the 1982 one. Carlos Alberto's goal in the 1970 final is one of the greatest of all times. The 1974 team was poor compared to the 1970 one. A few of the 1970 side played in 1974 but from I can remember the team lacked a lot of spark. 




 
The Brazil team at West Germany 1974 took a far more physical approach.

Memories of being kicked off the park in 1966.

Pretty sure that there is a good article on the Brazilian approach to the 1974 Finals in thesefootballtimes site.

 
Bit before my time as the first World Cup I remember was Spain 82.

Love watching all the old World Cup archives, love the way commentators sounded like they were speaking over an old telephone too! 

 
Best ever - Chelsea 2004/5. Enough said. Drogba>Pele, Lampard>Rivelino, Makelele>Gerson, Kezman>Jairzinho...

 
Bit before my time as the first World Cup I remember was Spain 82.

Love watching all the old World Cup archives, love the way commentators sounded like they were speaking over an old telephone too! 
I still say that the 1982 World Cup Finals are my favourite tournament.

However I really enjoy watching the 1970,74 and 78 footage.

 
I still say that the 1982 World Cup Finals are my favourite tournament.

However I really enjoy watching the 1970,74 and 78 footage.
Those air horns in Spain 82...great childhood memories, a proper football noise, not like those bloody vuvuzelas in South Africa.

 
I still say that the 1982 World Cup Finals are my favourite tournament.

However I really enjoy watching the 1970,74 and 78 footage.
1982 was a great tournament. The Brazilian team was superb. Scotland went 1-0 up against them and ended up losing 4-1. Scotland's goal was a great strike from David Narey.




 
107,412 were in attendance for the 1970 Final.

David Narey played in the same Dundee Utd team as the legendary Peter Bonetti for Dundee Utd at the start of the 1979/80 season.

 
Or how about Brazil 1982. This biography of Socrates just appeared and it looks a cracker. The guy smoked 40 a day, loved his beer and was even a trained doctor. And managed to find time to captain Brazil at the World Cup!

Doctor Socrates cover.PNG

 
Back
Top