Brian M's Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
ha. so firstly you say I have questionable taste in film after I say that I do not like a monologue from a particular film. but you also seem to suggest that I do not like the film or the direction. which I did not mention (and is untrue as it goes).

when called on this, you ignore it. you don't have to duck the issue- just accept the mistake. it won't damage your pride I promise. we all make them.

when I went to school, which was not long ago (as you enjoy pointing out for some reason), I was educated with facts. now, it is your opinion that the monologue is terrific. that is not a fact.

my opinion is that it is poor- over-alliterative and out of place.

there is no reason why your opinion should be more valid than mine and I'm happy with my judgement.

 
V for Vandetta was pretty good...i wouldn't say it's avatar worthy though he he he, just messing with you Brian
icon_wink.gif


 
there is no reason why your opinion should be more valid than mine
That is absolutely true. Opinions are always valid, even if they are weighed down by bias or prejudice or ignorance (general social comment, not directed at you).

 
ha. so firstly you say I have questionable taste in film after I say that I do not like a monologue from a particular film. but you also seem to suggest that I do not like the film or the direction. which I did not mention (and is untrue as it goes).when called on this, you ignore it. you don't have to duck the issue- just accept the mistake. it won't damage your pride I promise. we all make them.

when I went to school, which was not long ago (as you enjoy pointing out for some reason), I was educated with facts. now, it is your opinion that the monologue is terrific. that is not a fact.

my opinion is that it is poor- over-alliterative and out of place.

there is no reason why your opinion should be more valid than mine and I'm happy with my judgement.
although it is your opinion, the monologue was not out of place no matter what...the film is called V FOR VANDETTA, thus all the V's, i will agree that it is poor though, quite annoying anyone could just find a million words with the same starting letter...

 
anyone could just find a million words with the same starting letter...
Indeed they could. But try doing it in a way where the monologue not only makes complete sense, not only tells us instantly all we need to know about the person speaking, but also SETS UP THE ENTIRE PREMISE OF THE REST OF THE MOVIE.

Not quite so simple now, I suspect...

 
Loz give Bri back his avatar. I know you listen to me!! and Catherine of course.The winking gay pirate or nothing.
The winking pirate is 'in production' or, in other words, I am waiting for Gem to get back from holiday as I have no idea how to make the bugger wink!!

 
[Not quite so simple now, I suspect...
Actually if you sit with a very good dictionary and an even better Thesaurus I think you will find it is quite easy to do (if a little time consuming) as long as you don't decide to make the film 'X for Xylophone' - I had an English teacher back in about 2nd or 3rd year who used to task us with doing things like this as she saw it a a way of extending our vocabulary!

 
The winking pirate is 'in production' or, in other words, I am waiting for Gem to get back from holiday as I have no idea how to make the bugger wink!!
Horse. Barn door. Bolted!

 
It is something we have done as an exercise in our little local "Writer's Circle". Good fun in fact. Seeing that different people can come up with up such different things. In fact, the exercise in our small group of 10 proved Brian right, in that it did show the nature of the person who is delivering the prose.

I haven't seen V for Vendetta, so cannot comment on the film. Sadly, I can no longer visit the cinema. Sitting down in one confined space for longer than 15 minutes has become an impossibility. So now I'm left to watching DVDs which is an entirely different experience. I also have get my own cup of tea.

 
I have to say Jane, that sitting down in one's own home watching a good DVD (ideally with some yummy home delivered Thai food!) is probably one of my favourite things to do.

Sometimes the simple pleasures are everything. :(

 
I have to say Jane, that sitting down in one's own home watching a good DVD (ideally with some yummy home delivered Thai food!) is probably one of my favourite things to do.Sometimes the simple pleasures are everything. :(
Trust me Brian, very few people appreciate the simple pleasure more than I do. I'm thankful for them every day.

But I'm not sure that sitting down in my own home to watch a DVD is quite the same for me as it is for you.

1) Home delivery? Here - No way

2) Thai food? You're dreaming.

3) Bear, a very hefty dog lying outstretched on top of me on the sofa, is not the most comfortable and is potentially quite dangerous. - Yes, I can tell him to get down, but I can't bear (sic) the look of rejection in his face.

4) Bella, constantly bringing me a ball/teddy to throw. If I don't immediately do it, she whines and puts the ball/teddy in a more accessible place, just in case I missed it the first time. Yes, I could tell her to **** off, but again, I can't bear the look of rejection in her face.

Whereas, a trip to my local cinema, where someone would bring you a cup of tea and a biscuit if you went to the matinee. No teddys, no hefty dogs, just peace and quiet and the chance to watch the film uninterrupted - bliss. Of course I wouldn't be without my dogs for anything, but I did enjoy a trip to the cinema. That WAS one of my simple pleasures. But really there's no need for you to remind me of the pleasure that can be had from the very smallest things in life, I promise you. Lucky for you to be able to enjoy both.

 
Going to the cinema is a great thing and something that I am missing a lot due to not being able to get out in the evenings at the moment.

Having said that I am not so keen on it when the cinema is packed and the film is accompanied by a soundtrack of sweetie wrappers rustling, coke being slurped and the slightl sickly smell of popcorn which hangs onto your nostrils like a slug to a drainpipe.

To get round this we often used to go to late night showings (i.e. 11pm or midnight starts) that way you often end up watching the film with only about 15 other people (and we have had a couple of times when we have had the entire cinema to ourselves). Another way round it is to wait until the film has already been on for a few weeks however this often means it is moved onto one of the smaller screens.

 
The young one's over here have just about ruined going out to see a movie. Not only do they not turn off their phones in the theater, but they actually hold conversations on them while your trying to watch the film. I have had to ban myself from going anymore lest I end up in jail charged with giving some teenager a "forceable cell phone enema".

Brian turns his phone to vibrate mode

 
in my part of Florida it is impossible for adults to go to a movie unless you want to sit amongst teenagers as Scott says with phones, popcorn and non stop movement and noise.

lunchtime during school hours is about the least dangerous or the over 18 club part of the movie theatres which cost a lot more (no not porn Brian).

 
Mobiles on in a cinema would cause me to draw blood! Thankfully it is not something which appears to happen often here yet (other than by mistake)

 
The young one's over here have just about ruined going out to see a movie. Not only do they not turn off their phones in the theater, but they actually hold conversations on them while your trying to watch the film.
Oh, now we're getting to one of my ALL TIME PET HATES. :evil:

I tell ya Scott, I'm a pussycat most of my life, but in the cinema, if ANYONE talks or has their mobile phone on (even texting - which has a bright screen that is very distracting) - I either shout at them to turn the damn thing off (none too politely) or I physically get up (and yes, I've done / do this) and grab it out of their hand and threaten (loudly) to shove it up their ar*e if they turn it on again.

Don't get me wrong, I don't start off at Defcon 1. I'll say something polite like, 'Dude - you wanna keep it down?' or something. But if they ignore me (I'm a big lad with a face full of thunder when grumpy, so very few do) or worse, give me a mouthful of smart-ar*e comments, then it goes down hill rapidly.

Sometimes at the behest of whatever gal I'm with ('Don't cause any trouble!") - or if it's a first date and I'm on my best behaviour, I'll go and get one of the cinema staff, bring him right up to where the w*nkers are sitting, and very publicly point to them and let the staff deal with it. But usually I'll just say something myself.

Fortunately there are certain cinemas you know have a 'civilized' clientele. And certain cinemas that get yobs and kids etc. And these days I only ever go to the civilized ones, due to living in the yuppie North Shore (of Sydney), where the real estate prices keeps out the yobs and twats (who in Sydney live - broad generalization but a truism nonetheless - South or West of the city).

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top