DEDICATIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many thanks, Tim W, you can't beat a bit of the Temps with breakfast! :D

Here's one you might like...

 
Apparently it's over 40£, but I think I bought mine for 30€ from a local record store some years ago. Still well worth the price, especially as I think some of the albums on it aren't available as separate albums anymore(?)
I'd be surprised if any of the original albums were still available, or come to that, whether they were actually ever released on CD. If you're lucky, you might manage to pick up the occasional vinyl copy, but then you're talking collector's items with price to match.

 
Here's the Diana Ross version - sounds like she's trying to do a Dusty Springfield in parts. It's on "Let the Music Play: Supreme Rarities 1960-1969"

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I remember you telling me about Diana Ross's version when we were having a drink in Hastings - you're right, there's definitely a touch of the Dusty's about her version ;)

Just found this on YouTube - there's some brilliant stuff on there nowadays...

 
This one's for you, Eggy! (Secret confession - I used to really fancy the bald one in The Flying Pickets!)

 
One for The Moos - I love this video so it's really for me as well!

 
And I can't go to bed without posting a song for Geezer! Good Night all!

 
sorry, double post - my finger twitched!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
And one for Lofty
Ok I must be really slow tonight, but I don't get that one at all. However, when I was in hospital, I did have this album (along with Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, War, Roberta Flack, Donny Hathaway and so on) on my mp3 player:

41XPAQHQRPL._SS500_.jpg


And so for you, here's one of my favourite songs from this album:

 
Oh Lofty! And here was me thinking youn hated Thatcher as much as I did. Alan Price wrote the Jarrow Song in protest at what she was doing to the workers of Britian. Not as powerful as Billy Bragg's Between The Wars, but more tuneful! Mind you Georgie Fame was the better of the two musically.

THE JARROW SONG(Composer : Alan Price)Alan Price My name is Geordie McIntyre, An' the Bairns don't even have a fire So the wife says "Geordie, go to London Town!" And if they don't give us half a chance , Don't even give us a second glance Then Geordie, with my blessings, burn them down Come on follow the Geordie boys, They'll fill your heart with joy They're marching for their freedom now Come on follow the Jarrow lads, They'll make your heart feel glad They're singing now, yes now is the hour My name is little Billy White, And I know what's wrong and I know what's right An' the wife says "Geordie, go to London Town!" An' if they don't give us a couple of bob, Won't even give you a decent job Then Geordie, with my blessings, burn them down Come on follow the Geordie boys, They'll fill your heart with joy They're marching for their freedom now Come on follow the Jarrow lads, The joy'll make your heart feel glad They're singing now, yes now is the hour Well I can hear them an' I can feel them An' it's as just as if they were here today I can see them, I can feel them An' I'm thinking nothing's changed much today Not all came here to stay their way and die But they would come and hit you in the eye Now's the time to realize that time goes on Nothin' changes, changes, changes Now I can feel them, I can see them An' it's as just as if they were here today I can feel them and I need them An' I'm thinking nothing's changed much today Not all that people stay their way and die But they would come and hit you in the eye Now's the time to realize that time goes on And nothin' changes, changes, changes My name is little Alan Price, I tried to be nice all of my life But I'm afraid that up to date it doesn't work Because when you lay some money down, The people try to put you down Now where do I stand, either side or not Come on follow this Geordie boy, He'll try and fill your heart with joy We're marching for our freedom now Come on follow this Jarrow lad, He'll try and make your heart feel glad We're sayin' it now, yes now is the hour

 
And here's Billy Bragg singing live on Top of the Pops.

 
Oh I see, Sorry, I wasn't thinking farther than the title. And I thought, what, me a Northerner? No that everyone North of Watford is a complete and utter scumbag, of course. There was a time when "Northerner" was the ultimate insult - I swear I remember "You dirty Northern bar steward" being sung at ... Southampton! Now where's the sense in that, you may ask. Ok. Well. For "Northern" read North London. And for North London read N17. All makes sense now, right?

Dirty Northern bar stewards!

 
Here's one for Ethical Strategy on his birthday. Wilson Pickett recorded this when ES was two years old!

 
SO Brain M, you think you can just swan off for years and come back without even bringing a bunch of flowers? I didn't bring you up to be like that! Here's what we sang when we realised you'd gone:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top