Favourite Retro Console/Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eight Times

First Team Regular
Messages
4,148
Reaction score
383
I'm quite a fan of the Sega Dreamcast (although it's not THAT retro, but it's getting there).

Also a big fan of the Super Nintendo, I've got a nice NTSC set up in my room, always liked the look of it, compared to our English

one.

SNES-USA.png


Nice!

Best retro games:

Super Mario Bros 3

Zelda: A Link To The Past

Sonic

Alex Kid In Miracle World

Goldeneye 64

 
Streets of Rage

Wolfenstein 3D (the first proper FP game)

Contra

R-type

Mike Tysons punch out

Ghosts n Goblins

Deus Ex

Oh christ, I could be here for days.

 
Don't think it gets better than N64. GoldenEye. Pistols, one shot kills, in the basement. Mario Kart was also excellent. Can't think of the amount of hours wasted in my Uni dorm doing that. There used to be 20 of us, whoever finished last got shoved off and we'd play for hours. Good times.

 
Ghosts n Goblins
Pure class mate!

Just a few..

Outrun

Shinobi

Golden Axe

Afterburner

Paperboy

Hard Drivin'

R-Type

Space Harrier

Systems..

gallery_753_310_166357.png


a130st.jpg


/monthly_07_2011/post-2-0-50323000-1312025076.jpg

 

Attachments

  • Commodore-64.jpg
    Commodore-64.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
If I had to pick just one, the platform of choice for me is Commodore 64. So many classic games and they certainly knew how to get the most out of the hardware. I mean, 64 kilobytes of RAM! :happy001:

Some C64 game tunes just bring happy memories:


I know I haven't played the more recent games, but I can only talk about what I know. But still, Grim Fandango is a masterpiece: the plot, the characters, the music.

Pinball machines are probably out of scope for this thread, but I did play them A LOT as a teen and in my early twenties. I also played the heck out of some arcade games as well. I think Frogger was the first one that I played(on a ferry to England on of our family holiday trips). I've played so many arcade games over the years, so I could just sit here and type names all day.

 
NES:

Shadowgate

Dragon's Lair

Super Mario Bros

Some weird football game, can't remember the name

Mega Drive:

Forgotten name, but it was a racing game with miniature cars that raced around tables and desks and things.

Premier Manager - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Manager

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Maks, are you me? Tim Schafers games were all brilliant back then, the Monkey Island series being the best of the lot.

 
I've bought 'mega drive - ultimate collection' the slogan is 'an epic collection of over 40 gaming classics' they're all old Sega games for Playstation 3. Featuring: Sonic, Streets of Rage, Eco the Dolphin, Shining Force, Golden Axe and some more. Gotta love it! B)

 
I still have my SNES and 64 in a box in my apartment, love both of them. Got my 64 years after it came out for like 20 bucks, it was great for my dorm room at college.

Also, Day of the Tentacle is brilliant, downloaded it last year and played through it again, finally beat it!

However, I spent a lot of time on my Playstation, loved going through the RPGs like Final Fantasy VII-IX, plus Chrono Cross and Xenogears (most underrated game ever?). I saw the other day on the PS3 store that you can download PS1 games for like 5 bucks a piece, I may do that some day when I am bored.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Com Amiga was my platform dragons lair space ace, birds of prey, spelunker (great side scrolling platformer)

Lately I have been reminiscing about laser disc games and enjoying Cobra Command and Road Blaster both anime laser disc games. I know they seem boring but it is all about the nostalgia for me.

Al

 
NES:

Shadowgate

Dragon's Lair

Super Mario Bros

Some weird football game, can't remember the name

Mega Drive:

Forgotten name, but it was a racing game with miniature cars that raced around tables and desks and things.

Premier Manager - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Manager
Was it this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m08miUSCHI

Indeed it was ace, my best mate from school picked it up second hand, took it back to his place, came

back out with me for a bit, then he later got home to find his dog had chewed it :laugh2:

Another classic - Lemmings, I liked the Amiga version best, the music is great.

Other classics:

Gods

Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

Residen Evil 2

Street Fighter II Turbo

 
Wolfenstein 3d

Monkey Island

Populous

Spear of Destiny

Duke Nukem

Police Quest

Space Quest

Doom

Larry

.

 
Tim Schafers games were all brilliant back then, the Monkey Island series being the best of the lot.
Yeah, he definitely had some far out ideas when it came to plots for the games and a weird(in a good way) sense of humour. I've only played the first two Monkey Island games, but those two are classics for a reason. Last month I was visiting a friend for a long weekend and one afternoon while having a beer or ten, we started talking about old games and decided to try the new Special Edition(with new enhanced graphics and sounds) of the first Monkey Island game. My friend downloaded the first two(both Special Editions) from some online store for around €10(might have been less than that). It was still a lot of fun.


 
Last edited by a moderator:
First ever console I played? NES. First console I owned? SNES.

However I did get to use a few oldies at my uncle's oftenly:

Intellivision, Genesis, Neo-Geo and an Atari.

I still have my SNES to this day and over 30 games along with my N64 and PlayStation 2.

My favourite classic games include Street Fighter II, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Goldeneye.

Got my first PC when I was 8 and discovered Duke Nukem, even though the aliens scared the life out of me even in my sleep I couldn't stop playing it.

 
Streets of rage for the megadrive. I know have it on my Iphone. I also have Golden Axe and Sonic on my iphone. One game i cant find tho is Cool spot! That was a class game.

 
For me its always been fighting games:

Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition

Also, in other genres, Golden Axe, Prince of Persia, Bare Knuckles

 
So I cracked the other day and bought Chrono Trigger on my PS3, awesome so far!

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top