Favourite Retro Console/Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant games back in the day, Always preferred it to the FF games myself.

 
I've had a hankering for a lot of these older Square RPG's lately. I think Skyrim is brilliant, but part of me misses the days of picking your party and walking around on a world map encountering random enemies.

 
I remember having one for the PSX called Xenogears which was cool, big robotty things. Loved that game. The only thing that got tedious on those games was when you got later into a game and fights against bosses would take about an hour, you would get his health down to nearly nothing then he would heal to full and it would be another hour. Used to do my head in, especially in the later FF games. Oh and Skyrim is bloody brilliant.

 
I remember having one for the PSX called Xenogears which was cool, big robotty things. Loved that game. The only thing that got tedious on those games was when you got later into a game and fights against bosses would take about an hour, you would get his health down to nearly nothing then he would heal to full and it would be another hour. Used to do my head in, especially in the later FF games. Oh and Skyrim is bloody brilliant.
Xenogears is one of the greatest games ever, especially storywise. My biggest complaint with it though was certain dungeons required Tomb Raider style jumping, which just didn't need to be there. I was stuck in one spot for 3 hours once, but all the random enemies I encountered leveled me up so much I was able to steamroll all the boss fights after.

dkw - Did you ever play Chrono Cross? I really liked that game, although I heard CT is much better. I wish they would add some trophies to get for old PS1 games, CC would be perfect since there are like 45 characters to recruit.

 
GoldenEye for the N64 may be one of the best games I ever played. The head-to-head deathmatch was spectacular. A buddy of mine and I played Turok as well.

I got big into the Phantasy Star series especially 2 for the Genesis. That was a great game.

Final Fantasy II for the SNES was one of the best RPG games I played for that console.

Anyone get into the TurboGrafx 16?

This thread brings up many gaming memories. :-)

 
Nah mate, never played Chrono Cross for any decent length of time. I remember it but didnt really get into it. Turok was superb Arq, I never had a N64 so only played Goldeneye a few times on a mates. Good after pub game. Speaking of which, the best after pub game ever was either Sensible Soccer or Micro Machines.

 
GoldenEye for the N64 may be one of the best games I ever played. The head-to-head deathmatch was spectacular. A buddy of mine and I played Turok as well.
dkw is right there is only one after pub game better than this and that is of course MarioKart 64. Endless hours of drunken amusement.

Can I just say on this topic, that the new version of Goldeneye is not in the same league. Single player has just been fiddled with too much. Not sure why the story had to change so much. Also not sure why Sean Bean had to be replaced with some fat plonker going on about bank bonuses. Seriously it's not as if the first story was topical, why make the second one so?

 
Hey, I said it was Micro Machines, not Mario Kart. Were both equally correct though, brilliant laughs after a night on the ale.

 
MarioKart 64 was amusement while drinking the ale and after the ale. :laugh2:

I haven't played the new Goldeneye but I heard that it was a little disappointing.

One of the games I got into on the NES was Ninja Gaiden. That was fun but it was very predictable. I guess most of those games were that way back then...

 
The ninja gaiden game on the xbox nearly destroyed me, ridiculously hard.

 
Hey, I said it was Micro Machines, not Mario Kart. Were both equally correct though, brilliant laughs after a night on the ale.
Worms Armageddon was good for booze fueled gaming as well.

 
The ninja gaiden game on the xbox nearly destroyed me, ridiculously hard.
I didn't like that one as much. Maybe it's because I was used to the old-school style game on the NES.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top