FIFA 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
May join you two in this Swansea thing, it sounds like a challenge. Never done it before, always gone a Chelsea or Man City i.e. a team I can spend spend spend!

Will probably start on World Class, that's generally my level, but on my Man City dynasty I'm on Legendary. See how it goes.

 
Incredible start to my Swansea campaign. Am on World Class, had a bit of a rough pre-season (home draw, away loss, home win), and suffered a disaster in the last pre-season match were Borini got injured and is out for 55 days. So I was without a good striker going into the first game of the season. But, as soon as the league started, it's been unbelievable. Let's review what's happened so far.

I went through the squad and put all players below 60 up for sale, all of whom have been sold, making me collectively a solid £4-5million. Swansea also have an abundance of strikers, so Kuqi was sold too, leaving me with Borini, Dobbie and Beattie for one striker spot in a 4-3-3.

I bought a decent, 71 rated left back to replace Tate, who cost me about £1million from Motherwell I think, a guy called Hammill, pretty good signing so far.

Bought Josh for £1.5million and though he's the lowest rated player in my 3 man midfield of him, Pratley and Bodde, he's far an away the best midfielder.

I bought Sam Walker from Chels too, for around £1million, more than adequate sub for De Vries, though I can see Walker replacing him soon.

However, losing Borini was such a huge loss, and the other strikers were particularly average (well, Dobbie is, Beattie proved me very wrong in the first League Cup match of the season) so I went looking for an adequate replacement around 70 rating until Borini comes back, with around £6million to play with. A couple of players who thought Swansea weren't prestigious enough, until I stumbled upon Hoilett of Blackburn, rating 74, available for £4.5million. Snapped him up for just under £6million in the end, and he's been an absolute sensation since. Scored on his debut against Cardiff in a 2-0 win, can play on the wing brilliantly, lightning quick. Shrewd bit of business there I think!

Line-up:

------------------------De Vries

--Angel Rangel---Monk-----Williams---Hammill

-------------------------Bodde

------------Pratley--------------McEachran

--Dyer-----------------Hoilett--------------Sinclair

Very happy with the side I have. Currently looking for a centre back of sorts, as I only have 3 at the club. However, something I found pretty amusing. First league game of the season, Swansea 2-0 Cardiff. Only 3 days later, first league cup match of the season against....Cardiff! As a rule I play my "second string" in the League Cup, just because it saves the "first string"'s stamina. Final score? Swansea 7-0 Cardiff. Beattie scoring 4, Van Der Gun scoring 3. Absolutely awesome stuff. I'm really enjoying this!

 
Anyone play on PC? Silly question but can you separately assign defensive controls? Just can't defend for sh*t right now.

 
Anyone play on PC? Silly question but can you separately assign defensive controls? Just can't defend for sh*t right now.
What exactly do you mean? im on xbox and if you hold b (shoot button) then you get an AI player helping you out trying to get the ball from the opposition.

Other way to help improve the defence is that you can edit the workrate in attack and defence on each player at the custom formation screen!

I usually set Essien to cover for Luiz if he decides to go on a run forward and it works like a charm!

 
What exactly do you mean? im on xbox and if you hold b (shoot button) then you get an AI player helping you out trying to get the ball from the opposition.

Other way to help improve the defence is that you can edit the workrate in attack and defence on each player at the custom formation screen!

I usually set Essien to cover for Luiz if he decides to go on a run forward and it works like a charm!
Exactly. I'm used to almost 8 years of playing with the shoot button also being defender charge (not AI). Just feels too weird now. Almost given up playing online..

 
RBJ - Did you keep Allen? He's pretty good in mine.

I feel like I might have to sell Borini or Sinclair now that I'm in the EPL, trying to land Sturridge to lead my line.

 
Allen's always the first person off the bench (Pratley's stamina is abysmal, but he's quality for the first 60 minutes or so) and he starts the games where any of the 3 need a rest. Bodde has been a sensation for me though, main stay at CDM, and a pretty good free-kick on him too!

I've just hit the January window so I have a fair bit to go yet, about 4 points clear at the top, but I had a bad December.

Borini I haven't been that impressed with, my front three now is Hoilett---Beattie---Sinclair, Beattie surprised me a lot, Borini I use as his substitute/replacement when he's knackered. Will probably sell Borini, possibly have a stab at getting Lukaku in the EPL!

 
I agree, I am thinking about losing Sinclair and Borini to raise some funds for some other guys.

BTW, if you need a youngish (25) attacking RB, look at Marvell Wynne. Plays for the Colorado Rapids in the MLS. His speed stats are crazy, and his price is perfect for a team like Swansea.

 
I am doing a Chelsea one now, in addition to my Swansea. I did this with the idea of really getting our average age down, so my current side looks something like this.

--------------Cech-------------------

Ivan---Luiz---Terry------Coentrao

---------Ramires-------Lampard

------------Modric------------

Hulk------Torres------Neymar

Bench: Pastore, Van Der Wiel, Zhirkov, Mikel, Sturridge, Josh, Kakuta, Bruma, De Bruyne

Transfers cost a lot obviously, but it helps when you sell off Malouda, Drogba, Anelka, Essien, Kalou, Bosingwa, Paulo, Ashley, Alex.

The only annoying thing is Modric is a CAM and doesn't slot in well at CM, would rather Lampard played CAM and Modric at CM.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, who would take this season?:

Community Shield Winners over City.

In the League Cup semifinals, after losing 2-0 at Old Trafford, we win 4-3 on aggregate and advance to the finals in what would go down in one of the greatest games ever at SB. However, we lose to Arsenal (thereby giving them a trophy!) in the final in extra time off a cheap deflection, after Terry is red-carded 15 minutes into the game.

We finish 2nd in the league, 5 points behind United.

Van Persie wins the Golden Boot.

We win the FA Cup easily, beating West Brom 4-0 in the finals.

We win the Champion's League 1-0 over Barcelona, with Modric getting the ball after a Barca corner in the 87th minute and setting Torres through on a fast break for Nando to slot in, 1 v 1 with Valdes.

2nd in the league, Arsenal beat us in a final, but we end up with the FA Cup and Europe.

Thoughts?

 
My first thought is that we're not in the Community Shield.

On a less pedantic note, a late winner against Barca in the CL final would certainly turn a mediocre domestic campaign into a good year, and second in the league + LC final + FA Cup win is only mediocre rather than actively bad.

 
I am doing a Chelsea one now, in addition to my Swansea. I did this with the idea of really getting our average age down, so my current side looks something like this.

--------------Cech-------------------

Ivan---Luiz---Terry------Coentrao

---------Ramires-------Lampard

------------Modric------------

Hulk------Torres------Neymar

Bench: Pastore, Van Der Wiel, Zhirkov, Mikel, Sturridge, Josh, Kakuta, Bruma, De Bruyne
This is why I gave up on my Chelsea one towards the end of the 3rd season -- it's too easy.

In my first 2 years, I won the league both times, won the League Cup both times, won the FA Cup the first year, won the Community Shield one of the years, and won the Champions League the 2nd year (not eligible the first year). And my squad looked like this:

GK - Cech, Turnbull, Hilario

D - Ivanovic, Luiz, Terry, Cole, Alex, Skrtel

M - Lampard, Essien, Mikel, Ramires, Malouda, Dempsey, Bale, Perotti, Busquets, Kakuta

F - Torres, Drogba, Anelka, Kalou, Higuain, Neymar, Sturridge

The only 'regulars' that I sold were Bosingwa, Ferreira, and Zhirkov. And it wasn't because I needed funds; I simply needed space on the team.

 
Started my Swansea game and sold 5 players to fund my 8 million pound move for Lukaku. On world class he has scored 17 in 9 games. Amazing in the air as you'd expect bet he's also scored a couple of 30 yarders. Recommend him if you can get him

 
This is why I gave up on my Chelsea one towards the end of the 3rd season -- it's too easy.

In my first 2 years, I won the league both times, won the League Cup both times, won the FA Cup the first year, won the Community Shield one of the years, and won the Champions League the 2nd year (not eligible the first year). And my squad looked like this:

GK - Cech, Turnbull, Hilario

D - Ivanovic, Luiz, Terry, Cole, Alex, Skrtel

M - Lampard, Essien, Mikel, Ramires, Malouda, Dempsey, Bale, Perotti, Busquets, Kakuta

F - Torres, Drogba, Anelka, Kalou, Higuain, Neymar, Sturridge

The only 'regulars' that I sold were Bosingwa, Ferreira, and Zhirkov. And it wasn't because I needed funds; I simply needed space on the team.
I agree that it is easy, the only time I really tend to play with them is during the summer when I want to buy all the players that we are linked with. I usually pick a midtable English team like Everton, then get mad when I have to play Chelsea in every damn final, both English and European.

 
Just started a manager mode for the first time with Chelsea and "world class" board difficulty.

First day of the transfer window and I've managed to sign Neymar, Ganso and Hazard. What a joke! :laugh2:

 
Question for you guys -- when you play online as Chelsea, do you leave Luiz at CB? It seems like I have to move him out to RB and put Ivanovic or Alex in the middle, or else I start leaking goals. Luiz's work rate is rated "high" for both offensive and defensive (as is Essien), so if I leave them both in their default spots, they often go charging up the pitch when I have the ball......but leave a MASSIVE hole right down the middle if the opponent counter attacks.

 
Ok, who would take this season?:

Community Shield Winners over City.

In the League Cup semifinals, after losing 2-0 at Old Trafford, we win 4-3 on aggregate and advance to the finals in what would go down in one of the greatest games ever at SB. However, we lose to Arsenal (thereby giving them a trophy!) in the final in extra time off a cheap deflection, after Terry is red-carded 15 minutes into the game.

We finish 2nd in the league, 5 points behind United.

Van Persie wins the Golden Boot.

We win the FA Cup easily, beating West Brom 4-0 in the finals.

We win the Champion's League 1-0 over Barcelona, with Modric getting the ball after a Barca corner in the 87th minute and setting Torres through on a fast break for Nando to slot in, 1 v 1 with Valdes.

2nd in the league, Arsenal beat us in a final, but we end up with the FA Cup and Europe.

Thoughts?
My most major issue with this season is that Arsenal won a trophy but in all seriousness yes I'd definitely take it. FA Cup + Champions League is a go for me.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top