Good songs by bands you hate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I first started paying attention to FNM when Epic became a hit, so I wasn't aware they even existed before Mike Patton had joined the band. Angel Dust was their first record that I bought, but I soon bought all the earlier records too as Angel Dust totally rocked my world! I didn't like Introduce Yourself too much, but when I've heard FNM play those songs live with Mike Patton, I hear some potential in the songs. I never liked Chuck Mosely's voice and along with the sacking of Jim Martin it was one of the best decisions the band made IMO.

Soon after buying all the FNM records I bought Mr. Bungle's debut and liked it a lot(just have to ignore some of the lyrics that are quite immature and just plain silly). I wasn't that fond of their second record, but their third one(California) is a good one!

I've given a listen to a lot of Mike Patton's later projects and I must say that even though I don't like some of them that much(Fantomas, Adult Themes for Voice), he does experiment a lot, that's for sure and he sure finds different kinds of people to work with(Bj?rk, Sepultura, Massive Attack).

I definitely think he's got some talent himself and I would even go as far as to say that without Patton, FNM wouldn't have gone into the direction they went after Patton joined the band. He didn't have time to influence Real Thing, but on Angel Dust you can definitely hear his influence. I'm not saying FNM was all about Patton, but he certainly had a big part in it.

Have been meaning to check out Tomahawk's records, but haven't got around to doing it yet. Just saw this which reminds me of the more aggressive songs on Angel Dust, so it might worth checking out the records.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top