Horror flicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
What so frightening about the Devils (based on Aldous Huxley's Devils of Loudun - a work of non-fiction about a real event) was (for me) knowing that it had really happened - that there was a time when things like that were accepted by society as normal, or even desirable.

 
Me too. I give them credits for trying and for once giving us a horror movie without loads of deaths and blood everywhere. But it wasn't good enough. The "scary" parts were few and too far apart. Not at all scary during the day scenes.Besides, the boyfriend was such an a*sehole that I couldn't care less what happened to him.
I actually liked Paranormal Activity. Though I agree that the scary parts were too far apart. Also liked The Blair Witch Project when it came out. It's something about the realistic approach I find much more efficient than a Holywood production about a evil mad man who's on a killing-spree, shedding litres of blood and the hero has to kill him about 5 times before he die..

The Shining is one of my all time favorites. That movie still gives me goosebumps and a feeling of unease. Brilliant!

When I was a teenager I liked the danish movie the Nightguard (Nattevagten) Remember watching it togheter with my girlfriend at the time and having to walk (run) home in the dark.. :unsure:

 
I prefer horror films that have a bit of suspense in them rather than the slasher/gore fests generally. Some good mentions on this thread already. Here are a few others that you may like (in no particular order):

1) Suspiria - Dario Argento at his best. Tacky and may seem a little low budget and camp at first. But very scary and is regarded as highly influential in the World of Horror films. many films have copied parts of it.

2) The House of the Devil - Low budget film by a director who wanted to show some respect to the horror films of the 70's/80's. Well done and a great build up of suspense after a slow start.

3) The Descent - Definitely one of my gorier picks. The film combines uses claustrophobia to great effect.

4) Open Water - One of those 'realtime' style films that has become popular in recent years. Borrows from Jaws a little at times but the idea of being stuck treading water in the middle of the ocean is terrifying.

5) 1408 - Good performance by John Cusack as the sceptical ghost hunter.The Carpenters will never sound the same again ;)

 
Missed this thread first time round.

The Exorcist is head and shoulders the winner for me. I actually would name it in my top 10 films of any genre.

The Shining would be my next choice and after that would come Jaws and Psycho.

Modern horror films seem to require a direct correlation between number of corpses, volume of blood and and projected fright level - the story is entirely superfluous.

Slasher films and torture films bore me to tears

 
I like People Under The Stairs... Wes Craven movie... also a dope hip hop group from Los Angeles. So you got the best of both worlds!

 
Missed this thread first time round.

The Exorcist is head and shoulders the winner for me. I actually would name it in my top 10 films of any genre.

The Shining would be my next choice and after that would come Jaws and Psycho.

Modern horror films seem to require a direct correlation between number of corpses, volume of blood and and projected fright level - the story is entirely superfluous.

Slasher films and torture films bore me to tears
I liked the first Saw movie, but the sequels were bad.

 
Bumping this thread in time for Halloween. Anyone got any new suggestions?

 
Some new-ish movies:

Insidious - The movie in itself is just okay, but there are a few scary scenes that are very well done.

Let the right one in - Not really scary, but a very good movie.

[Rec] - A really good spanish film.

Pontypool - Slightly scary movie with an original-ish story.

Cabin in the Woods - Original but with clichés. I really liked it.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil - More fun than horror perhaps, but I really liked this movie.

This Halloween I might watch some oldies like Jaws again.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, "Insidious" wasn't that good but it did have a couple of scary moments. I also agree with you about "Let the Right One In", even though I probably saw the bar stewardized American version of it. I actually thought "Drag Me To Hell" was pretty good, even though it's supposed to be somewhat of a comedy. "Tucker and Dale" and "Cabin in the Woods" are both on my list of movies to watch, as is "The House of the Devil", which I have also heard good things about.

 
1 I saw the devil

2 The Thing

3 Shinning

4 Alien

5 Cabin in the woods ( just cause it was the last one I saw and extra points for Joss Whedon )

 
The Pink Panther with Steve Martin... the thought of him playing Inspector Clousaeu feels with me so much fear I cant even bring myself to watch it

 
Insidious was a great horror but one I saw last night called Sinister (be out shortly) was fantastic for scares.

 
Oh! I've just seen that the Exorcist is about to start on ITV4 - not sure if I can bear to watch it! Scary stuff!

 
I would disagree, ( as I should cause I called it one) Serial killer movies are Horror movies.

What do you call a movie a with a serial killer as the main antagonist?

Thriller? Nah, can't do that, he is driven on by a lust for blood as much as any Jason or Freddy or Zombie you can name.

Who as a "horror" film antagonist can you name that wants blood as much as Kyung-Chul in I saw the devil?

 
I would disagree, ( as I should cause I called it one) Serial killer movies are Horror movies.

What do you call a movie a with a serial killer as the main antagonist?

Thriller? Nah, can't do that, he is driven on by a lust for blood as much as any Jason or Freddy or Zombie you can name.

Who as a "horror" film antagonist can you name that wants blood as much as Kyung-Chul in I saw the devil?
I'd call it a drama. It's a character study with bleak subject matter and over the top action. The term "thriller" is a bit ambiguous for my taste so I rarely use it as a descriptor for movies, but I'd definitely call ISTD a thriller before I'd call it a horror movie.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I would disagree, ( as I should cause I called it one) Serial killer movies are Horror movies.

What do you call a movie a with a serial killer as the main antagonist?

Thriller? Nah, can't do that, he is driven on by a lust for blood as much as any Jason or Freddy or Zombie you can name.

Who as a "horror" film antagonist can you name that wants blood as much as Kyung-Chul in I saw the devil?
Its more of a psychological thriller / crime drama in my opinion.

Its certainly much darker than other psychological thrillers like the machinist, memento etc, but to me its still in that area.

Albeit its a bit sick.

PS

Have any of you seen the movie "Old boy" ? Well worth a watch if you liked I saw the devil.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top