A little extreme, yes, but it's essentially what we did with Napoli and Koulibaly last summer. According to them, by the time we tabled the right offer, it was days before deadline day and they didn't have enough time to find a replacement. This is a player we started chasing in July of that summer. Pretty silly negotiation imo. The respect angle is important because selling clubs always want to save face for their fans. They want to look like they got the best deal for all parties involved and weren't mugged off. You have to respect that factor while taking advantage of the fact that they're open to selling.
That's a load of hogwash though.
You don't start looking for a player after you've agreed to sell your own, I guarantee they were looking around when the negotiations were taking place if I remember correctly they were linked with Lindelof, Manolas and a few others, which all broke down and they couldn't attract anyone of a suitable level to be a replacement.
Negotiations go both ways, if your negotiating partner isn't playing ball its hard to gauge what would be a good deal them.
This is all hypothetical but lets say it isn't our side being difficult.
Lets say you believe the current market value of your managers no.1 pick for CB is £40m, you see that Napoli do have someone already to fill the spot in Tonelli and Chrvches so that they might consider a sale and you know that players like Lindelof and Manolas are willing to leave their respective clubs for a step up and that Napoli might be interested in signing them as replacements.
Lets also say that we are potentially tabling back up deals in case we can't get our man, avoiding another Djilobodji debacle and we are confident a deal can be agreed in principle for the managers fifth choice say in Luiz relatively easily.
You ask for an initial valuation they say they aren't selling,
Do you continue trying at this point or do you give up? On here there is a lot of moaning about us not backing managers and not signing the players they want so I don't think you can complain about us continuing.
This is your managers top priority so you can't take no for an answer, you see if a bid just under market value say £30m plus £10m in add ons might get negotiations started, you get a flat no.
You decide to wait a couple of weeks then table another bid of say £35m plus £7m in add ons to see if that gets the ball rolling, whilst only £2m more overall, which will be the figure quoted in the media but it should be a lot more attractive as there is more up front. You still get a flat no.
You probably start to pursue other targets like Lindelof and Manolas, to which there had been rumours and find out that Napoli have been enquiring also so they clearly have been listening to the offers and are contemplating a sale. So you enquire again and get a he is not for sale, you press a little harder on their links with the other players and they say it will take a ridiculous bid for them to consider and mention £55-60m ball park. Whilst looking into other options a £30m price tag has been put on Luiz and you believe that reasonable and therefore don't want to get shafted by Napoli.
You see if they want to come to the table with a £40m bid plus £7m in add ons and again get a no, however by this point it doesn't seem like the figure is the issue it's that Napoli are struggling to pick up their replacement options and are getting tentative again.
The negotiations now all seem to depend on Napoli getting their man so you have to sit patiently tying up other transfers getting the Luiz deal in place, and have one final crack a week or 2 before the transfer window closes and table a £42m bid plus £10m in add ons which they give the response you mention above.
At this point Napoli know they haven't got there man and therefore that they were never in a position to sell but they now have to placate the Player and his agent as we know they wanted to leave as well as try to make themselves not look overly hard to deal with, so they deem this a suitable excuse.
To me I wouldn't see this as an unreasonable approach for the club to have taken and from what I remember being written at the time is the most likely scenario to have played out. The figures may also be wrong my memory is not that detailed.
Could we have got our man if we offered £60m off the bat maybe, but we could have had a similar situation just starting off from a much higher position who knows.