Lofty's Wall of Sound - What are you listening to?

I dislike Eurotechno as much as anyone, but I'm really enjoying an album called 'Discovery' by Daft Punk. It's different to most other stuff I listen to, but I still like it.
How do you define Eurotechno? I've always thought Eurotechno is bands like 2-Unlimited, Aqua, Ace of Bass, Scooter and all of that Eurovision style crap. Compared to them Daft Punk seems almost like Kraftwerk to me. ;)

The worst thing I've heard in ages is "Donk", or whatever they call it. I remember seeing a programme about the music scene on VBS.tv

Oh wait, this one has to be one of the worst things I've EVER heard:

If you haven't already heard it, you might not want to press play on that video(it's THAT bad). YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

 
You're clearly a much more knowledgable man in this subject, Maks. I don't know, it's just sometimes I hear a new record (it has to be with proper instruments, none of this dance/rave/electro crap), it sounds very neat and well done, inevitably each verse reaches a high point, goes to the catchy chorus, and starts again with verse 2, and if you're lucky, you might here a bridge or a solo of some sort from the more mainstream bands. But, every now and then (for instance, yesterday, I was in the car with my dad, and he had an old Squeeze album on, much of it just the lead singer and his acoustic guitar - I'm a sucker for anything acoustic - and it was just plain and simple, and I loved it, I was straight onto Spotify/Napster/Youtube trying to find the songs I liked) I hear a real gem, one that hasn't been touched up too much, and it's utterly brilliant from years gone by. My main problem is that I've grown up in an age where well-produced music is the only stuff around - The Gaslights are a wonderful exception as after listening to Sink Or Swim more and more, it's proved to be one superb album - everything has to be just right. It does say something about our society today, where anything with any imperfections (a bum note by the singer, guitar etc.) is frowned upon, but that's what gave the old music some character, and sadly, I missed out on them, and I'm gutted I did.
Your dad is clearly a man of taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z5qGa9co2Q

This is spectacularly good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tstjeLGRow...=PL&index=6

If you get the chance to see the great Glenn Tilbrook, you must go. He tours all the time (I saw him the other week in cardiff in a tiny venue) and is just brilliant live.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
How do you define Eurotechno? I've always thought Eurotechno is bands like 2-Unlimited, Aqua, Ace of Bass, Scooter and all of that Eurovision style crap. Compared to them Daft Punk seems almost like Kraftwerk to me. :D The worst thing I've heard in ages is "Donk", or whatever they call it. I remember seeing a programme about the music scene on VBS.tv

Oh wait, this one has to be one of the worst things I've EVER heard:

If you haven't already heard it, you might not want to press play on that video(it's THAT bad). YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
I made it as far as 1:18. Do I get a medal?!

 
I made it to 53 seconds, mainly because I love pigs, and I was hoping to see that person in a pig suit again (he/she does show up at 53 seconds, but I had had enough by then). Reminds me of a poor man's Techntronic.

 
Big Bang - Norway's ultimate live band.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
This may be the best known Big Bang tune, in Norway anyway.

Not a lot of people outside of Norway knowing who they are, but if you ever get the chance to see them live, I strongly recommend it.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I like that song To The Mountains, MHL. Good stuff, that.

Also, the new 30 Seconds to Mars song is quality (Kings & Queens) off their new album This Is War. It's very Muse-like, so Muse fans should give it a listen.

 
TOOL - my favorite band alongside Big Bang and Pink Floyd.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I like that song To The Mountains, MHL. Good stuff, that.Also, the new 30 Seconds to Mars song is quality (Kings & Queens) off their new album This Is War. It's very Muse-like, so Muse fans should give it a listen.
The missus likes Muse, I don't, but thought 30 seconds to Mars was a good song.

 
Good choice, sir! Lateralus is among my favourite songs.
Saw Tool at Roskilde a couple of years ago, just spectacular :JC_doubleup:

My favorite Tool songs are Lateralus, Opiate, Sinkfist, The Pot and the solo part in Jambi.

Actually there's only Tool songs I really really love, and Tool songs I love.

Also listen to A Perfect Circle.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
How do you define Eurotechno? I've always thought Eurotechno is bands like 2-Unlimited, Aqua, Ace of Bass, Scooter and all of that Eurovision style crap. Compared to them Daft Punk seems almost like Kraftwerk to me. :JC_doubleup: The worst thing I've heard in ages is "Donk", or whatever they call it. I remember seeing a programme about the music scene on VBS.tv

Oh wait, this one has to be one of the worst things I've EVER heard:

If you haven't already heard it, you might not want to press play on that video(it's THAT bad). YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
I listened to the whole thing (I win whatever prize is it is), and I seem to remember seeing it on MTV Dance or something at some point not long ago... Put a donk on it, is as you say, awful. Not sure if it's possible to find anything worse, but I don't think I want to try.

Discovery is a brilliant album, but then again Daft Punk are just brilliant all over.

Anyway, I spent last night listening to Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis and am now about to listen to Moon Safari by Air... mainly because they're good as background music while I do some reading.

 
I'm currently converting some of my old cassettes to mp3, so my listening has been somewhat restricted to the albums I've been doing. Most recent albums converted...Bad Manners - "Return Of The Ugly"

Bad Manners - "Ska'n'B"
Now you're talking! Always had a soft spot for Buster and the boys.

 
Saw Tool at Roskilde a couple of years ago, just spectacular :JC_doubleup: My favorite Tool songs are Lateralus, Opiate, Sinkfist, The Pot and the solo part in Jambi.

Actually there's only Tool songs I really really love, and Tool songs I love.

Also listen to A Perfect Circle.
I agree with you on The Pot. What a tune.

I'm not the biggest fan of A Perfect Circle, however. They're not bad by any means, but I don't feel they're as good as Tool, and I can never forgive them for their awful cover of When the Levee Breaks.

 
Shine on You Crazy Diamond is nothing short of a masterpiece and I mean across all the art forms. As a tribute song it is unparalleled, not just for the general quality of the song but for the lyrics - anyone who knows even a little bit about Syd Barrett must recognise how heart breaking a song it is and, for me, Roger Waters' lyrics and the combined efforts of the four Floyd members for the music have combined to create something that touches on perfection.

I was going to bore you all to tears by banging on about the lyrics and what I think of them but that is rather pointless as all that matters is what you think of them yourself.

If you don't know anything about Barrett then they probably won't stand out as much as they would to someone who does - worth googling him and reading that first.

Remember when you were young

You shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond

Now there's a look in your eyes

Like black holes in the sky

Shine on you crazy diamond

You were caught in the crossfire

Of childhood and stardom

Blown on the steel breeze

Come on you target for faraway laughter

Come on you stranger

You legend

You martyr

And shine

You reached for the secret too soon

You cried for the moon

Shine on you crazy diamond

Threatened by shadows at night

And exposed in the light

Shine on you crazy diamond

Well, you wore out your welcome

With random precision

Rode on the steel breeze

Come on you raver

You seer of visions

Come on you painter

You piper

You prisoner

And shine

Nobody knows where you are

How near or how far

Shine on you crazy diamond

Pile on many more years

And I'll be joining you there

Shine on you crazy diamond

And we'll bask in the shadow

Of yesterday's triumph

Sail on the steel breeze

Come on you boy child

You winner and loser

Come on you miner for truth and delusion

And shine

 
I agree with you on The Pot. What a tune.I'm not the biggest fan of A Perfect Circle, however. They're not bad by any means, but I don't feel they're as good as Tool, and I can never forgive them for their awful cover of When the Levee Breaks.
Didn't like When The Levee Breaks either. Some of the Perfect Circle stuff is quality while some songs I don't like.

But then again it's hard to top Tool, for me anyway. Keenan always has his other projects, but they're never even close to the pure quality of Tool.

Saw Tool at Roskilde a couple of years ago and it was just an amazing experience.

 
Shine on You Crazy Diamond is nothing short of a masterpiece and I mean across all the art forms. As a tribute song it is unparalleled, not just for the general quality of the song but for the lyrics - anyone who knows even a little bit about Syd Barrett must recognise how heart breaking a song it is and, for me, Roger Waters' lyrics and the combined efforts of the four Floyd members for the music have combined to create something that touches on perfection.I was going to bore you all to tears by banging on about the lyrics and what I think of them but that is rather pointless as all that matters is what you think of them yourself.

If you don't know anything about Barrett then they probably won't stand out as much as they would to someone who does - worth googling him and reading that first.

Remember when you were young

You shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond

Now there's a look in your eyes

Like black holes in the sky

Shine on you crazy diamond

You were caught in the crossfire

Of childhood and stardom

Blown on the steel breeze

Come on you target for faraway laughter

Come on you stranger

You legend

You martyr

And shine

You reached for the secret too soon

You cried for the moon

Shine on you crazy diamond

Threatened by shadows at night

And exposed in the light

Shine on you crazy diamond

Well, you wore out your welcome

With random precision

Rode on the steel breeze

Come on you raver

You seer of visions

Come on you painter

You piper

You prisoner

And shine

Nobody knows where you are

How near or how far

Shine on you crazy diamond

Pile on many more years

And I'll be joining you there

Shine on you crazy diamond

And we'll bask in the shadow

Of yesterday's triumph

Sail on the steel breeze

Come on you boy child

You winner and loser

Come on you miner for truth and delusion

And shine
I know it's like sweaing in the church but I like the live verson on PULSE the best.

 
Back
Top