Movies and all it includes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite good intentions I never got to the cinemanto see 'Atonement' - good inetention because the book is superb. The only thinng that worried me a littlw about the film was how well they would be able to piece together the four distinct sections of the book. I guess the fact that it has been so well received means they managed it well - anyone who has seen it care to comment?

 
Despite good intentions I never got to the cinemanto see 'Atonement' - good inetention because the book is superb. The only thinng that worried me a littlw about the film was how well they would be able to piece together the four distinct sections of the book. I guess the fact that it has been so well received means they managed it well - anyone who has seen it care to comment?
Well I have seen the movie and read about 80 pages of the book so I will give it a try.

I first read the book. Well, the first 80 pages or so anyway. But I didn't like it. Nothing happened. Well, okay, some things happened but not any major things. I just kept reading about the characters (which can be interesting) and about Brionys fantasies.

In the end I gave up. My mother too, though she gave up earlier.

I then thought that I wouldn't watch the movie. If I don't like the book then I would surely not like the movie, right?

Well I did see it in the end. Mostly because I do like Kiera Knightley and James McAvoy was great in "The Last King of Scotland". I also liked the trailer.
icon_wink.gif


I was really surprised to see a movie that was...well...great. Great story, great acting, great music (won a Golden Globe for that too) and great cinematography (think it's called that).

The story jumps every know and then just like the book. For example, we see the fountain-scene from two angles.

The jumps works quite well. The movie makes it quite clear that it jumps so it's not very confusing for the slow-minded (will be interesting to see if my mom can handle it though
icon_rolleyes.gif
).

As for the different sections I'm not sure exactly what you mean, Loz, as I haven't read the entire book. But I think I can guess what you mean and I would then say that the movie handles it well.

I think the acting in the movie is superb. Knightley and McAvoy are great. Too bad they didn't win but I hadn't expected them to.

Two other actresses who should be mentioned is Saoirse Ronan who is just excellent as the young Briony and Romola Garai who plays the slightly older version of Briony and does it really well.

Garai, Ronan, Knightley and McAvoy makes this good movie into a great one. Them and Vanessa Redgrave who plays the oldest version of Briony. She's great too.

Finally I just have to say one thing. There's a war-scene in the movie that are just great. It goes on for about 5 minutes in one sweeping motion, without cuts or anything. Simply amazing and apparently it took some time to get right.

 
Gonna be interesting to see who wins it. But I think we can all count on Daniel Day-Lewis getting the award for "Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role".

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Ellen Page (she was amazing in Juno) but I don't think she'll win. It'll probably be between Marion Cotillard and Julie Christie.

As for the supporting roles I'll go with Amy Ryan (she was great in Gone Baby Gone) and Javier Bardem who was really good in No Country For Old Men (my mom hated his guts, still does actually
icon_lol.gif
).

 
Just saw Cloverfields tonight. I really enjoyed it, except for the ending, it just ends abruptly. In the movie, it had comedy in situations where "the monster" was about to get them, so made me laugh when other people were cringing in thier seats. I can't really describe the monster, you'll just have to see it. Even though it could never happen, the movie still leaves you thinking "what the heck would I do if that happened!" Overall good movie, definatley worth $10
happy0034.gif


A little warning, the camera is not steady for most of the movie, so be prepared when the screen constantly shakes.

 
The nominees for the Academy Awards came out today. Can't say I'm too happy.
icon_sad.gif


 
What's wrong?
300.gif


Although I must say that it is a bit strange that in the Best Original Song -category three out of five songs are from Enchanted. Haven't seen the film, though.
317.gif


 
What's wrong?
300.gif
Although I must say that it is a bit strange that in the Best Original Song -category three out of five songs are from Enchanted. Haven't seen the film, though.
317.gif
ugh don't i wanted to shoot myself fo seeing that movie! unless you like singing, no killing or monsters along with a predictable plot then go see it.

 
What's wrong?
300.gif
Although I must say that it is a bit strange that in the Best Original Song -category three out of five songs are from Enchanted. Haven't seen the film, though.
317.gif
ugh don't i wanted to shoot myself fo seeing that movie! unless you like singing, no killing or monsters along with a predictable plot then go see it.
Based on what I know about it, it's not gonna be on my "must see" -list any day soon.
icon_wink.gif
icon_lol.gif


 
Pills...just makes you wonder what drove him into it. R.I.P.
icon_sad.gif


 
I read the news about Heath Ledgers a couple of hours ago I guess and I still can't believe it.

I've never met him and only seen a few of his movies (probably only a couple of them) and yet I cry as if he was a close personal friend or family. I've tried to think of something else but the tears just keeps coming.

I miss him even if I've never knew him.

I'll always remember him as Ennis Del Mar and I'll always remember him as an actor that should have won the Oscar when Brokeback Mountain came. Ang Lee called him a new Marlon Brando and I won't disagree with him on that.

A brilliant actor but perhaps not made to be in the spotlight.

I remember when he was on Oprah with the rest of the actors/actresses from Brokeback Mountain. He seemed so down to earth and he seemed so in love with Michelle Williams. They seemed like a perfect couple.

It's sad that his daughter Matilda will have to grow up without her father.

R.I.P. Heathcliff Andrew Ledger

- You will be missed and remembered

346.gif


 
But the cgi monsters were not that good. Not compared to Dobby and Gollum - The dynamic duo
icon_wink.gif
If the monsters weren't even as good as Dobby, then they must have been pretty average. Dobby was nowhere as well done as Gollum. Even when you consider that Gollum in the first movie was based on a different design to what we saw in the other two movies.

 
But the cgi monsters were not that good. Not compared to Dobby and Gollum - The dynamic duo
icon_wink.gif
If the monsters weren't even as good as Dobby, then they must have been pretty average. Dobby was nowhere as well done as Gollum. Even when you consider that Gollum in the first movie was based on a different design to what we saw in the other two movies.
Of course you're right. Gollum was amazing. Perfection. It should have been good enough to earn him (or rather Andy Serkis) a nomination for best actor in a supporting role.

Dobby doesn't come close of course but if you compare Dobby to the monsters in I Am Legend then I would have to say that Dobby is slightly better. He seems more real then the monsters.

Too bad because otherwise the movie was really impressive.

 
"Quantum of Solace."
Wow! I have no idea what that name means.
icon_eek.gif
300.gif


I know what the individual words mean, but to see them together makes no sense to me.
317.gif


 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top