New Phone Advice / Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a tablet (some cheap Chinese knock-off) that started not working very well about 6 months after the bloke I bought it from was kicked off of Ebay.  A bloke a work says that if I "root" it and take a shedload of stuff off, it will be fine again.  Is there anywhere I can get decent instructions on how to do this without making it into more of a paperweight than it already is?  Once I can get into the OS, I'm happy enough, it's just the whole process and sources and stuff

Cheers

Kev

 
Depends what OS it is mate, if its just android (Jelly bean, or Ice cream sandwich or whatever) then as long as you have USB connection it should be pretty straight forward. Give us the details and I`ll see what I can find.

 
Cheers mate - it's just Android 2.3 and has a USb port.  I'm quite happy to mess around with it because, at the moment it's less use than a Fat Waiter at a football cloob. The battery goes from full charge to dead in about 20 minutes, mostly because it thinks it's a phone so is constantly polling for a mobile signal and running cell standby.

 
Looks like it could be a bit of a pain to do, this thread seems your best bet.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1586570

 
This seems as good an idea as any, but with the news that by 2014 roaming charges will be banned within the EU because it's seen as a restriction of movement, does this mean we can get a contract from any country in the EU and pay the same price?

So theoretically, if say German (poor choice, as things are expensive there) phone contracts are significantly cheaper, we could just sign up for one and use it anywhere within the EU for no extra fee? Or would a local address usually be required? Either way, it'll work with pay as you go.

 
Looks like it could be a bit of a pain to do, this thread seems your best bet.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1586570
Cheers mate, I'll have a look

 
This seems as good an idea as any, but with the news that by 2014 roaming charges will be banned within the EU because it's seen as a restriction of movement, does this mean we can get a contract from any country in the EU and pay the same price?

So theoretically, if say German (poor choice, as things are expensive there) phone contracts are significantly cheaper, we could just sign up for one and use it anywhere within the EU for no extra fee? Or would a local address usually be required? Either way, it'll work with pay as you go.
If roaming and the obscene rate for data charges go then I don't see why not.

It would no doubt mean everyone having all sorts of weird and wonderful numbers.

I am surprised that Skype / 3G based phones have not taken off as much just yet.

 
I've been using the htc one now for a few weeks and I really like it.  The sense 5 interface is a lot classier than touchwiz on the S4 although I still prefer stock android.  The best features of the htc one are the speakers, which are really good, and the camera software which takes little video clips (zoe's) every time you take photo and auto creates a 30 second video highlight of events based on time and location.  Very cool. The low light performance of the camera is also spectacular.  It's well worth consideration instead of the S4.

 
I've been using the htc one now for a few weeks and I really like it. The sense 5 interface is a lot classier than touchwiz on the S4 although I still prefer stock android. The best features of the htc one are the speakers, which are really good, and the camera software which takes little video clips (zoe's) every time you take photo and auto creates a 30 second video highlight of events based on time and location. Very cool. The low light performance of the camera is also spectacular. It's well worth consideration instead of the S4.
Interesting mate

Does that do it in HD? if so do you have to clear it out regularly to stop the storage becoming full very quickly?

 
Interesting mate

Does that do it in HD? if so do you have to clear it out regularly to stop the storage becoming full very quickly?
First of all, it's a setting so you have the option to just take normal photos.  If you turn it on, then every time you take a photo it effectively starts recording 1 second before you press the shutter and then carries on for another 3 seconds.  When you look at the photo is plays back the whole 4 seconds, with sound and then goes to a still at the point you pressed the shutter.  You can then use an on screen slider to move to whatever point in the 4 seconds you want.  it's really handy if people have been looking away or blinking because you can set and save the exact moment you wanted to capture.

The 30 second highlights are created by taking the photos, zoe's and any video that you have shot and grouping them by date and location - on the assumption they are all related, i.e. a wedding or sporting event or day out etc.  There is a choice of themes you can apply which apply visual and audio effects.  The result is a little montage of the event which you can save and share.  You can also control what clips are included in the montage.

And it is in HD, yes.

I thought it might be a bit gimmicky, but it works really well.

I haven't had any problems with storage space.  The htc one has 32gb built in and I don't keep a lot of media on mine.  Music is mainly on Spotify and I don't have video other than what I shoot.

 
I'm rockin the HTC One as well (in fact, writing this on it) and I love it too. Performance is absolutely top notch, did not have a single lag in these 3 weeks of use, and even the battery life is great. Can use it all day basically and still survive the day, while if I don't use it all the time, 2 days on a charge works.

I have also installed a custom ROM which basically gave me Android 4.2.2 and some nice editions. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but with following the thorough instructions it took about 10-15 minutes.

Get the One, or the soon to come out Butterfly S.

 
Definitely considering the HTC One.. I watched the Gadget show last night and it won the best Android phone over the S4 etc.

Unless something else comes out in August that smashes competition I cant see past this phone at this stage.

I like the iPhone as well, but they haven't brought anything new to the table really and I want the big screen.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
One of the areas for concern (reading detailed review now), is the camera.

A good camera important to me, as I take a lot of snaps when on holiday etc and like to print them. Having a good camera on my phone makes everything super convenient. It's probably the only weakness that I have seen.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Really depends on how big you want to print. In real life use I find it very good. In low light it is spectacularly good.

 
I like to make canvas collages etc.. hmm. I could still go for it and just use my regular camera for the snaps.

Will keep investigating, I have until August to decide anyway.

Any emerging phone rumours etc?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
This seems a good place to ask my question!

My mobile phone is a chunky little Nokia which is now bordering on being antique, but I love it. Thing is, I'm using T-Mobile pay as you go, and it's costing me a fortune now that I don't have a landline.

The thing is, being an old git, I know next to nothing about mobile phones and just wanted a bit of advice. I want a contract where I pay monthly with possibly unlimited calls, but there are so many phones on the market I've no idea what to choose. I'll be going down to a phone shop in town later this week, but don't want to get ripped off or sold a pup, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, you lovely people :wink:

 
A carrier bag full of tuppences and the phone box down by Aldi, Steve.  AND, you get to look at all the lovely titty cards while you are calling the premium rate w**k line :)

 
A carrier bag full of tuppences and the phone box down by Aldi, Steve.  AND, you get to look at all the lovely titty cards while you are calling the premium rate w**k line :)
Excellent, sounds just what I need!

 
One of the areas for concern (reading detailed review now), is the camera.

A good camera important to me, as I take a lot of snaps when on holiday etc and like to print them. Having a good camera on my phone makes everything super convenient. It's probably the only weakness that I have seen.
Then you should go for the Galaxy S4 Zoom. It's ugly as hell but no phone can beat 10x optical zoom and xenon flash on a 16mp camera.

 
One of the areas for concern (reading detailed review now), is the camera.

A good camera important to me, as I take a lot of snaps when on holiday etc and like to print them. Having a good camera on my phone makes everything super convenient. It's probably the only weakness that I have seen.
Nokia Windows Phones have by far the best cameras on phones. If you don't want Windows Phone, Undertow's suggestion is the one to go with.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top