New Phone Advice / Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will have to remember to ask you lot for advice when my current contract expires next year.  I don;t think I shopped wisely for my current phone - I signed up by walking into a phone shop on Sunday, 20th May 2012 - not the best day to make a sensible decision!!

 
I will have to remember to ask you lot for advice when my current contract expires next year.  I don;t think I shopped wisely for my current phone - I signed up by walking into a phone shop on Sunday, 20th May 2012 - not the best day to make a sensible decision!!
No, but I bet you were darn happy regardless.

 
My contract is now up, I am due an upgrade. But I already have an Samsung S3 so dont really want a new phone, anyone know what the deals for sim only upgrades are like? I presume they are cheap, will call into town at lunch time and see whats what.

 
Then you should go for the Galaxy S4 Zoom. It's ugly as hell but no phone can beat 10x optical zoom and xenon flash on a 16mp camera.
Wow, just seen that phone, never knew it even existed! I think its not quite powerful enough for a 18 / 24 month deal, and you are right, its definitely ugly!! I imagine the follow up model to this will be so much better. It is a great idea, just needs a bit more power on board and an improvement on aesthetics.

 
Wow, just seen that phone, never knew it even existed! I think its not quite powerful enough for a 18 / 24 month deal, and you are right, its definitely ugly!! I imagine the follow up model to this will be so much better. It is a great idea, just needs a bit more power on board and an improvement on aesthetics.
Mate, what power are you talking about? It can't get much better, than what the Active offers.Also take a look at the soon coming out Butterfly S.

 
Prefer 2GB+ of Ram. The S4 Zoom has 1.5GB

There's 800MB of Ram on my S2 and a little after a year it became slow. Want to try to get the best spec possible as well. I am a fussy bugger!

 
Mate, what power are you talking about? It can't get much better, than what the Active offers.

Also take a look at the soon coming out Butterfly S.
I believe the Butterfly S is for the Asian markets only.

 
Went to the phone shop at the weekend and had a play around with the phones.

Really liked the feel of the HTC One, the user interface looks great and the phone itself has been beautifully crafted. Such a shame that the camera would be a step down for me, as I likely would have snapped this one up otherwise.

Played with the S4, nice big screen, do I want to have touchwiz again though, for 24 months this time instead of 18? I am not so sure. Rooting the phone is something I would consider, although does that void warranty?

Then there's the iPhone 5, a lovely phone but a small screen and it will be outdated in a matter of months, and I don't think its worth the cost.

I was surprised to see how far the Sony phones have come on also.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Defintely going to buy a new phone. This Xperia U is just pants for being an actual phone. I can't hear a word anyone says to me even at full volume. I have to put people on speaker phone just to hear them and even then it's not particlarly clear.

Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap-mid range Android phone that first and foremost actually works well as a phone?

 
Anyone know the best site (other than ebay) to get sell on prices for phones? Ive came to the conclusion my best option at upgrade is to get a little bit cheaper deal with a new phone, but I`m going to keep my S3 and sell the new phone probably. I expect an iPhone 4 will probably be the easiest to sell.

 
Defintely going to buy a new phone. This Xperia U is just pants for being an actual phone. I can't hear a word anyone says to me even at full volume. I have to put people on speaker phone just to hear them and even then it's not particlarly clear.

Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap-mid range Android phone that first and foremost actually works well as a phone?
Galaxy S2 maybe? Nexus 4? What about a Windows Phone? You would have no issues with those I would presume. 

 
Well, define "cheap-mid range" ;)

The 16GB Nexus 4 is £280 which is a quite good price for the hardware, Google is subsidising is LG to keep it down. It has some cons though like no LTE, no sd card slot, very average camera, inaccessible battery...

The question is what is important for you besides the price?

 
I've gone for the Nexus 4, ordered it just now. I was tempted by the Nokia Lumia thing with Windows 8, but doesn't seem to have many apps yet, plus W8 was sh*t last time i used it, although that was on a desktop to be fair.

 
Welcome to the club ;)

A word of advice, you might want a case as both sides are glass it is easy to scratch it.

 
Due to seeing the good reviews on the HTC One I am planning on getting this tomorrow. Iphone speaker has broke and I'm due an upgrade so cant wait.

Just some questions, have the people on here that have used it find it any better than the Iphone 5 or Samsung S4?

And whats the battery life like? This is important for me. My iPhone 4 lasts me all day at work (after turning the brightness down).

 
I know a few people using the Windows phones and they like them so far.  Much better OS than the last Windows efforts

 
The Windows phones are much improved. I think the Nokia 920 (928 now?) is a very good and solid piece of hardware. I haven't seen too many other Windows dedicated phones but they seem to be gaining in popularity overall.

I have to be honest and say that Windows 8 is a good start as well. Metro is awful and utterly useless on a desktop machine. However, the built in driver support is more than adequate and it appears to use resources much more efficiently than Windows 7. I believe Windows 8.1 should really make the new platform more appealing to the masses.

Back to the phones, any news as to when the next Google phone is going to release? I keep reading rumours of it being a Motorola device.

 
The Windows phones are much improved. I think the Nokia 920 (928 now?) is a very good and solid piece of hardware. I haven't seen too many other Windows dedicated phones but they seem to be gaining in popularity overall.

I have to be honest and say that Windows 8 is a good start as well. Metro is awful and utterly useless on a desktop machine. However, the built in driver support is more than adequate and it appears to use resources much more efficiently than Windows 7. I believe Windows 8.1 should really make the new platform more appealing to the masses.

Back to the phones, any news as to when the next Google phone is going to release? I keep reading rumours of it being a Motorola device.
Windows phones are improved (and maybe from 8.1 they even will be usable ;) but they are not selling that good, there's not that much interest in windows phones on the market. At the moment I can't see a bright future for them.

Google has purchased Motorola Mobility, so once the already developed models have run out all new Motorola phones will be Google phones. I think the first one might be the Moto X, coming sometime this year. There are now Google editions though from most big manufacturers: samsung galaxy s4, htc one, sony xperia z, even huawei is rumoured to release one.

 
Due to seeing the good reviews on the HTC One I am planning on getting this tomorrow. Iphone speaker has broke and I'm due an upgrade so cant wait.Just some questions, have the people on here that have used it find it any better than the Iphone 5 or Samsung S4?

And whats the battery life like? This is important for me. My iPhone 4 lasts me all day at work (after turning the brightness down).
I'm rockin the One and I absolutely love it. The battery will get you trough the day for sure, it's probably better than on the 4.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top