Rik Mayall Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it was suicide. Talking to a friend about this just now, he told me he'd found info online about an accident on a Quad-bike some time ago. I can't know for sure, but this mate of mine seems to think there's a strong possibility of there being a connection between this accident and his tragic death.

What else can I say? Immense talent, tragic loss. The Young Ones and Bottom are the obvious ones, but I also loved his performance as Alan B'Stard in The New Statesman.

RIP

 
You're right Tommmy.  I remembered that he had a quad bike accident a few years back which left him in a coma for four days and left him with epilepsy.  So there may well be a connection.

Watching footage of him last night on the news was very sad - it was the clips of him as "himself" rather than when playing his characters that got to me.  I guess partly as he was a similar age to me and I "grew up" with him, it feels like I have lost a friend.  And I always had a thing for him, he was such a good actor you didn't realise when he was in the Young Ones just how good looking and charming he actually was.  A very sad loss.

 
His wife has said she doesn't think it was a heart attack because he had a strong heart... She thinks he may have suffered a fit of some kind.

Quite possibly linked to his quad bike accident a few years back.

On his accident Mayall said he was better than Jesus because he was dead for 3 days and still came back. 

 
From the BBC Website. Some fine quotes. The last one is very apt given the coaltion government in the U.K.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27772259

Rik Mayall: His best lines
_75406309_theyoungonesextrapicforquotesstory.jpg
The Young Ones ran for two series between 1982 and 1985
Here is a selection of some of the funniest lines from the late Rik Mayall's comedy career.

The Young OnesMayall played obnoxious, poetry-writing anarchist Rick in The Young Ones, a man obsessed with Cliff Richard, starring alongside his friend and comedy partner Adrian Edmondson as Vyvyan. Their slapstick comedy and schoolboy humour achieved cult status.

Rick (Ode to Cliff Richard): Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you, Cliff?

Neil: Wow... that was really pretty bad, Rick

Rick: Bad for society when the kids start to get into it!

_66933045_line2.gif

Rick (to Madness who are performing in the pub): Do you lot know Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard?

Suggs: You hum it... I'll smash your face in.

Rick: I'll go sit over there.

_66933045_line2.gif

Rick: God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis.

_66933045_line2.gif

Rick: What are you doing, Vyvyan?

Vyvyan: I'm entering a contest to win a Ford Tippex. You have to say what Cornflakes mean to you in 10 words. So I said: Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes.

Rick: Pathetic! You'll never win, Vyvyan.

Vyvyan: Why not?

Rick: It's only nine words.

Vyvyan (writing): Corn... flakes!

BottomMayall and Edmondson played Richie and Eddie, two flatmates who lived on the dole in Hammersmith, London. As well as three TV series and five tours, it spawned the film Guest House Paradiso. The violent slapstick often involved fires, explosions and hefty blows to the head with a frying pan.

Richie: What about pin the tail on the donkey?

Eddie: We haven't got a donkey.

Richie: Well, pin the tail on the chicken.

Eddie: We haven't got a tail.

Richie: Oh. Well, pin the sausage on the chicken?

Eddie: We haven't got a chicken.

Richie: Well, pin the sausage on the fridge.

Eddie: Or a pin.

Richie: Sellotape a sausage to the fridge!

Eddie: We haven't got a sausage!

Richie: Put a bit of sellotape on the fridge!

Eddie: It's not much of a game, is it?

_66933045_line2.gif

Eddie: Why are you putting mayonnaise on your face?

Richie: It's not mayonnaise, it's sun tan lotion.

Eddie (examining bottle): Never heard of low calorie sun tan lotion.

Richie: What? Oh no, blast! Oh God! Oh! Argh-rrgh! Phuh! Well where's the sun tan lotion then?

Eddie: You squirted that into your cheese roll.

Richie: But I ate that!

Eddie: Yeah, I know.

Richie: Well why didn't you tell me?

Eddie: Because I don't like you very much.

_66933045_line2.gif

Richie: "Eddie, have you strained your vegetables?"

Eddie: "No it's just these hired trousers are a bit tight!"

_66933045_line2.gif

Richie: This is just my London pomme-de-terre. My main castles are scattered all over the place, you know, 'cause I never know where I'm going to be... Bloody fox hunts go on for ever these days, don't you find? Never know where you're going to end up. Start off in Burke-shire, end up in... ah, eh, eh - Twat-shire!

Blackadder IILord Flashheart only appeared in two episodes of Blackadder, written by Ben Elton and Richard Curtis. But Mayall managed to make the sex-obsessed, daring action hero one of the show's most memorable characters.

Flashheart: It's me, Flash! Flash by name, Flash by nature. Hurrah!

Blackadder: Where have you been?

Flashheart: Where haven't I been! Woof!

_66933045_line2.gif

To Baldrick (dressed as a bridesmaid): Thanks, bridesmaid. Like the beard. Gives me something to hang on to!

_66933045_line2.gif

To Lord Melchett: Hey Melchie! Still worshipping God? Last thing I heard He started worshipping ME...

_66933045_line2.gif

To Nursie: Ah Nursie, I like it firm and fruity. Am I pleased to see you or did I just put a canoe in my pocket?

Blackadder IVFlashheart: Hi, Flashheart here. Yeah, cancel the state funeral, tell the King to stop blubbing. Flash is not dead. I simply ran out of juice! Yeah, and before all the girls start saying "Oh, what's the point of living anymore", I'm talking about petrol! Woof, woof!

_66933045_line2.gif

Flashheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.

Others: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?

Flashheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on.

_66933045_line2.gif

Flashheart: Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: The blood, the noise, the endless poetry.

The New StatesmanMayall played the corrupt, sleazy and utterly odious Conservative MP Alan B'Stard in the uproarious political satire The New Statesman, written by Loz Marks and Maurice Gran, which ran from 1987 to 1992 as well as returning for a number of specials.

Alan B'Stard: I suppose life's just too easy for me. I mean, I'm incredibly rich, I've got the largest majority on the House of Commons and, if I was any better looking, I think people would suspect I was an android.

_66933045_line2.gif

Alan B'Stard: We hear an awful lot of leftie whingeing about NHS waiting lists. Well the answer's simple. Shut down the health service. Result? No more waiting lists. You see, in the good old days, you were poor, you got ill and you died. And yet these days people seem to think they've got some sort of God-given right to be cured. And what is the result of this sloppy socialist thinking? More poor people. In contrast, my policies would eradicate poor people, thereby eliminating poverty. And they say that we Conservatives have no heart.

_66933045_line2.gif

Alan B'Stard: Who in this country was not moved when that great Englishman, Gazza, wept bitter tears at the World Cup last year? People thought that he was crying because he had been booked by the umpire and so would miss the final. But that was not the reason. He was crying at the thought that the Conservative government, the only government this young hero had ever known, was behind in the opinion polls.

_66933045_line2.gif

Alan B'Stard: Why should we, the country that produced Shakespeare, Christopher Wren - and those are just the people on our banknotes for Christ's sake - cower down to the countries that produced Hitler, Napoleon, the Mafia, and the... the... The Smurfs!

_66933045_line2.gif

Alan B'Stard: You know the really great thing about a fudged coalition is that neither of us need to carry out a single promise of our election manifestos.

 
His wife has said she doesn't think it was a heart attack because he had a strong heart... She thinks he may have suffered a fit of some kind.

Quite possibly linked to his quad bike accident a few years back.

On his accident Mayall said he was better than Jesus because he was dead for 3 days and still came back. 
I did wonder that. You can never be sure what kind of unseen damage a massive shock like that can do to someone.

A very gifted actor. RIP.

 
_66933045_line2.gif

Alan B'Stard: We hear an awful lot of leftie whingeing about NHS waiting lists. Well the answer's simple. Shut down the health service. Result? No more waiting lists. You see, in the good old days, you were poor, you got ill and you died. And yet these days people seem to think they've got some sort of God-given right to be cured. And what is the result of this sloppy socialist thinking? More poor people. In contrast, my policies would eradicate poor people, thereby eliminating poverty. And they say that we Conservatives have no heart.

_66933045_line2.gif
That would be funny if it wasn't really happening.

This is probably my favourite Young Ones scene:


 
From the BBC Website. Some fine quotes. The last one is very apt given the coaltion government in the U.K.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27772259

Rik Mayall: His best lines
_75406309_theyoungonesextrapicforquotesstory.jpg
The Young Ones ran for two series between 1982 and 1985
Here is a selection of some of the funniest lines from the late Rik Mayall's comedy career.

The Young OnesMayall played obnoxious, poetry-writing anarchist Rick in The Young Ones, a man obsessed with Cliff Richard, starring alongside his friend and comedy partner Adrian Edmondson as Vyvyan. Their slapstick comedy and schoolboy humour achieved cult status.

Rick (Ode to Cliff Richard): Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you, Cliff?

Neil: Wow... that was really pretty bad, Rick

Rick: Bad for society when the kids start to get into it!

_66933045_line2.gif

Rick (to Madness who are performing in the pub): Do you lot know Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard?

Suggs: You hum it... I'll smash your face in.

Rick: I'll go sit over there.

_66933045_line2.gif

Rick: God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis.

_66933045_line2.gif

Rick: What are you doing, Vyvyan?

Vyvyan: I'm entering a contest to win a Ford Tippex. You have to say what Cornflakes mean to you in 10 words. So I said: Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes. Cornflakes.

Rick: Pathetic! You'll never win, Vyvyan.

Vyvyan: Why not?

Rick: It's only nine words.

Vyvyan (writing): Corn... flakes!

BottomMayall and Edmondson played Richie and Eddie, two flatmates who lived on the dole in Hammersmith, London. As well as three TV series and five tours, it spawned the film Guest House Paradiso. The violent slapstick often involved fires, explosions and hefty blows to the head with a frying pan.

Richie: What about pin the tail on the donkey?

Eddie: We haven't got a donkey.

Richie: Well, pin the tail on the chicken.

Eddie: We haven't got a tail.

Richie: Oh. Well, pin the sausage on the chicken?

Eddie: We haven't got a chicken.

Richie: Well, pin the sausage on the fridge.

Eddie: Or a pin.

Richie: Sellotape a sausage to the fridge!

Eddie: We haven't got a sausage!

Richie: Put a bit of sellotape on the fridge!

Eddie: It's not much of a game, is it?

_66933045_line2.gif

Eddie: Why are you putting mayonnaise on your face?

Richie: It's not mayonnaise, it's sun tan lotion.

Eddie (examining bottle): Never heard of low calorie sun tan lotion.

Richie: What? Oh no, blast! Oh God! Oh! Argh-rrgh! Phuh! Well where's the sun tan lotion then?

Eddie: You squirted that into your cheese roll.

Richie: But I ate that!

Eddie: Yeah, I know.

Richie: Well why didn't you tell me?

Eddie: Because I don't like you very much.

_66933045_line2.gif

Richie: "Eddie, have you strained your vegetables?"

Eddie: "No it's just these hired trousers are a bit tight!"

_66933045_line2.gif

Richie: This is just my London pomme-de-terre. My main castles are scattered all over the place, you know, 'cause I never know where I'm going to be... Bloody fox hunts go on for ever these days, don't you find? Never know where you're going to end up. Start off in Burke-shire, end up in... ah, eh, eh - Twat-shire!

Blackadder IILord Flashheart only appeared in two episodes of Blackadder, written by Ben Elton and Richard Curtis. But Mayall managed to make the sex-obsessed, daring action hero one of the show's most memorable characters.

Flashheart: It's me, Flash! Flash by name, Flash by nature. Hurrah!

Blackadder: Where have you been?

Flashheart: Where haven't I been! Woof!

_66933045_line2.gif

To Baldrick (dressed as a bridesmaid): Thanks, bridesmaid. Like the beard. Gives me something to hang on to!

_66933045_line2.gif

To Lord Melchett: Hey Melchie! Still worshipping God? Last thing I heard He started worshipping ME...

_66933045_line2.gif

To Nursie: Ah Nursie, I like it firm and fruity. Am I pleased to see you or did I just put a canoe in my pocket?

Blackadder IVFlashheart: Hi, Flashheart here. Yeah, cancel the state funeral, tell the King to stop blubbing. Flash is not dead. I simply ran out of juice! Yeah, and before all the girls start saying "Oh, what's the point of living anymore", I'm talking about petrol! Woof, woof!

_66933045_line2.gif

Flashheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.

Others: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?

Flashheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on.

_66933045_line2.gif

Flashheart: Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: The blood, the noise, the endless poetry.

The New StatesmanMayall played the corrupt, sleazy and utterly odious Conservative MP Alan B'Stard in the uproarious political satire The New Statesman, written by Loz Marks and Maurice Gran, which ran from 1987 to 1992 as well as returning for a number of specials.

Alan B'Stard: I suppose life's just too easy for me. I mean, I'm incredibly rich, I've got the largest majority on the House of Commons and, if I was any better looking, I think people would suspect I was an android.

_66933045_line2.gif

Alan B'Stard: We hear an awful lot of leftie whingeing about NHS waiting lists. Well the answer's simple. Shut down the health service. Result? No more waiting lists. You see, in the good old days, you were poor, you got ill and you died. And yet these days people seem to think they've got some sort of God-given right to be cured. And what is the result of this sloppy socialist thinking? More poor people. In contrast, my policies would eradicate poor people, thereby eliminating poverty. And they say that we Conservatives have no heart.

_66933045_line2.gif

Alan B'Stard: Who in this country was not moved when that great Englishman, Gazza, wept bitter tears at the World Cup last year? People thought that he was crying because he had been booked by the umpire and so would miss the final. But that was not the reason. He was crying at the thought that the Conservative government, the only government this young hero had ever known, was behind in the opinion polls.

_66933045_line2.gif

Alan B'Stard: Why should we, the country that produced Shakespeare, Christopher Wren - and those are just the people on our banknotes for Christ's sake - cower down to the countries that produced Hitler, Napoleon, the Mafia, and the... the... The Smurfs!

_66933045_line2.gif

Alan B'Stard: You know the really great thing about a fudged coalition is that neither of us need to carry out a single promise of our election manifestos.
Laughed out loud at the pin the sausage to the fridge etc.  Thanks for that. 

Difficult to believe he was only in two episodes of Blackadder - as the extract says, his character made such an impact!

and yes the poliical comments are bang on!

 
Very sad to hear about Rik Mayall. I first saw him as the Brummie Kevin Turvey in 'A Kick Up the 80's and watched nearly everything else he was in... The Young Ones, Comic Strip, Bottom, Blackadder.

If anyone hasn't watched 'Kevin Turvey The Man Behind The Green Door' watch it on YouTube. I had watched it so many times I knew the script word for word.

He is going to be sadly missed.

RIP RIK

 
That would be funny if it wasn't really happening.

This is probably my favourite Young Ones scene:

The Bambi episode is fantastic.

I love the Young Ones, not "loved" but LOVE it.  It was the TV equivalent of Punk music for me; raunchy, political, gross, and insane.  But it all blended perfectly and I'm glad it faded out when it did.  I still own the DVD's and I will be breaking them out this weekend.  Plus Rick (Young Ones) has reemerged these days as Russel Brand.

Sad day, and far too young.  May he Rest In Piece

 
Laughed out loud at the pin the sausage to the fridge etc. Thanks for that.

Difficult to believe he was only in two episodes of Blackadder - as the extract says, his character made such an impact!

and yes the poliical comments are bang on!
I've always thought that was one of the funniest scenes in Bottom.

 
Laughed out loud at the pin the sausage to the fridge etc.  Thanks for that. 

Difficult to believe he was only in two episodes of Blackadder - as the extract says, his character made such an impact!

and yes the poliical comments are bang on!
 He was in 3 blackadders .... a lot of people dont really think of the orginal blackadder, I really liked it but it didn't do too well witht he critics and the viewing figures. However the series was stolen by a two minute cameo. I can't find it on youtube only on the link below, but trust me Rik at his finest as Mad Gerald

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrvui4_rik-mayall-as-mad-gerald_lifestyle

 
Nice tribute to Rik

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-28785183

Rik Mayall tribute mural painted on Harlow Playhouse

_76933124_mayall.jpg
The tribute to comedian Rik Mayall has been painted on doors of the Harlow Playhouse
Continue reading the main story Related StoriesA 20ft (6m) high mural of Rik Mayall has been created in his birthplace in Essex.

The comedian died in June, aged 56, from an "acute cardiac event", his wife said.

Street artist Dave Nash decided he wanted to pay tribute to Mayall when he found out he shared his home town of Harlow with the comedian.

Mr Nash suggested the idea to Harlow Council, which found a suitable space on the doors of the town's playhouse.

"I grew up watching Rik Mayall in The Young Ones and Bottom," said Mr Nash, who paints under the tag Gnasher.

"It blew my mind when I found out he was from Harlow too, and I wanted to remember his life in some way in the town."

'Fitting tribute'

Mayall was born in Harlow but raised in Worcestershire which he left in 1976 to study drama at Manchester University.

Mr Nash, who now lives in Norwich, said he hoped the mural would bring a smile to people's face and prompt children or young people to finding out more about the comedian and his work.

Harlow councillor Emma Toal said: "At first we had difficulty finding such a large space for the mural but we think the town's theatre, which entertains thousands of people every year, is the perfect location for this tribute.

"We felt if we could help recognise the joy he brought to so many people we should do something.

"The final result is absolutely stunning and a fitting tribute to a man who made millions laugh."

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top