Robin Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the worst things about depression is it seems to disproportionately affect the most gifted people.

RIP Robin.

 
Absolutely shattered to hear the news that Robin Williams has passed away.

I always thought he was one of the most gifted comedians you'll ever see and some of his films have always been fondly remembered by me personally. Some that come to mind include Dead Poets Society, Mrs Doubtfire, Jumanji, One Hour Photo and Good Morning Vietnam.

His death really demonstrates that depression is a silent killer and is indiscriminate to anyone. There needs to be more understanding of the disease before we can address the issue of helping those with depression and potentially wanting to go as far to end their life like Robin has done. 

I woke up and heard the news this morning in Australia and I've felt flat all day. It's just weird to know that someone you've never met but are very familiar with through television is no longer here anymore.

RIP Robin Williams 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't see this thread.

Gutted, I love Aladdin & Mrs Doubtfire, can't believe it, Jumanji was one of my favourite childhood films too. Only 63 too, apparently he has battled with depression for years and always felt like he had to be ‘on’ in public which in itself must be draining.

Rest in peace.

 
I think what Slawth meant is that people who are just a bit down say they have depression, which isn't the same thing at all and so lessens the way it is perceived.  He didn't mean depression isn't a genuine illness.

 
Tragic. 

I loved Mork and Mindy. Also brilliant in The Birdcage, The World According to Garp and Good Morning Vietnam.

 
Devastated. It's always strange to mourn someone you never met but he was my childhood. Aladdin, Mrs Doubtfire, Hook, Jumanji....such good memories! His role as the genie in Aladdin had me in tears of laughter. 

A I grew older I began to appreciate his later films, Good Will Hunting being one of my all time favourites. 

RIP

 
I was never a fan but he made me laugh sometimes. It's tragic that he felt he couldn't face life anymore, and my heart goes out to the ones he's left behind - I know from experience just what they are going through.

 
He was one of the main reasons I ventured into a career within Animation, his voice work was second to none. He created so many great characters and memories from my childhood. The outpour of tributes from the world just show how much of a great personality he was.

RIP. 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Before my time, but inspired me with films such as Jumanji and Popeye.

 
Cant belive it. Just cant. A true legend. A true genius. I cant rate him highly enough.

R.I.P. Robin.

 
I think what Slawth meant is that people who are just a bit down say they have depression, which isn't the same thing at all and so lessens the way it is perceived.  He didn't mean depression isn't a genuine illness.
Just leave it mate, people on this forum are just wanting to have an argument with me they will just for anything to have a bite at my posts even if that means looking at it in the worst of ways.

But thanks anyway, you are one of the few friends I have here.

 
Very sad, not his biggest fan as an actor but horrible news. Depression is a b*tch.

 
Very sad news was completely shocked to hear this, a comedy genius that will be sorely missed. It is often a tell tale sign of depression when you put others happiness ahead of yourself and it was clearly the case with him. RIP

 
I didn't realise that Mork and Mindy was a spin off of happy days. Looked up the Mork appearance on You tube and although I can't say I was a great fan he certainly had a very different talent.

Worth a watch, especially meeting Laverne, very funny.


 
Robin Williams is one of those actors that feels like an uncle for people of my era, constantly being beamed in to your living room and making you laugh, Morc And Mindy, Mrs Dowbtfire, Hook, Jamangi (all have been mentioned) and so many more

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top