Robin Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what Slawth meant is that people who are just a bit down say they have depression, which isn't the same thing at all and so lessens the way it is perceived. He didn't mean depression isn't a genuine illness.
Oh indeed BQ, it was only Weatherman who mentioned something and I believe it was only because the post was misinterpreted [apologies if this is not the case WM], nothing sinister about it. In fact Seven Times also reiterated that he believed he ‘missed the point’. May I just say that if member genuinely thinks their posts are being purposely misread just so they can be attacked then report them – we look at such incidents and if there is a common theme (i.e. a certain member constantly harassing another) then it will be looked into.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh indeed BQ, it was only Weatherman who mentioned something and I believe it was only because the post was misinterpreted [apologies if this is not the case WM], nothing sinister about it. In fact Seven Times also reiterated that he believed he ‘missed the point’.

May I just say that if member genuinely thinks their posts are being purposely misread just so they can be attacked then report them – we look at such incidents and if there is a common theme (i.e. a certain member constantly harassing another) then it will be looked into.
No don't worry about it, I kind of overreacted to be honest. It was just a coincidence at the time I don't think I've ever had a problem with weatherman before and now that I come to look at it this wasn't a case of everyone against me at all, so I'm sorry for the out burst.

Now lets get back to it.

 
Loved Mork and Mindy when it was on.  Liked some of his films especially Good Morning Vietnam. Not only for the comedy but the music was great as well.

RIP Robin.

Alan Brazil the former footballer and now Talksport presenter has made some disgraceful comments about Robin Williams' passing. Not going to post them as I find them extremely offensive so if people wish to read them there are plenty of articles on the internet. I'll let you decide what you think. Suffice to say, Talksport has apologised. Brazil for the sack?

 
Tragic news.  He's an iconic childhood figure for many of us and will be missed.  If anyone hasn't seen his standup routines, I'd recommend them.  I'm sure they're on youtube or something.  Undoubtedly his best work.

 
No don't worry about it, I kind of overreacted to be honest. It was just a coincidence at the time I don't think I've ever had a problem with weatherman before and now that I come to look at it this wasn't a case of everyone against me at all, so I'm sorry for the out burst.

Now lets get back to it.
Slawth I'm not on here to have a go at anyone mate, least of all you. Fair play for saying so. Onwards and upwards Chels.

 
What frustrates me about this is when people around me are discussing it and the first thing they say is 'but he had a lot of money'... how in the hell does that play into it? Depression is depression and you can have millions, you can have nothing, you can have a family, you can be alone... having lots of money and love doesn't exempt you from depression. Christ, so ignorant. I butted in and said money means nothing and the response I got was ‘oh I know’... so why share the opinion that you’re perplexed he committed suicide because he had money in the first place then?! I’ve probably offended people but insinuating that’s how they came across but I’m sorry – they did.

Sorry to hijack the thread for an attack on colleagues.

 
I wouldn't worry about offending people who say such crass things, Gem!  If you don't put them right they'll go on spouting their ignorant opinions.

Depression is no respecter of wealth, position or status.

My heart goes out to Robin Williams' family. My father died when I was 18 and for a long time I felt very angry that he'd left us, combined with guilt that I was feeling that way.  And his was a natural death.  But people who commit suicide genuinely believe their families will understand and be grateful to them. 

 
RIP, he made some great movies.

Terrible, horrible way to go and such a shame leaving behind family and a loving wife.

The news said he had financial troubles, and his alcohol and drugs vices were well known.

No doubt he was a complex character.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's disgusting that Twitter trolls have forced his daughter Zelda Williams off Twitter with their awful comments, and graphic, photoshopped pictures of his dead body. What's wrong with people?

As for the suicide itself, I have my own very strong views on the matter which I won't go into on here. All i can say is that his death is very sad, he obviously couldn't live with himself.

 
I think it's disgusting that Twitter trolls have forced his daughter Zelda Williams off Twitter with their awful comments, and graphic, photoshopped pictures of his dead body. What's wrong with people?
That is awful!  I despair of some people and the internet just seems to bring out the worst in some people.  I just can't express out contemptible they are.

 
I have to say I found Robin Williams death far sadder than I had expected to. Normally I find the public reaction to celebrity deaths over the top, especially when there is do much heartache in the world which slips a long way under the radar.

However this one I find different. He was an exceptionally talented comedian and equally exceptional actor. Whether or not you were a fan of his films if must be hard to deny his ability as an actor. To be able to credibly pull off say Mrs Doubtfire or his Flubber character and also the roles that I remember him most for such as Awakenings, Garp, Fisher King and Dead Poets Society is a mark of his ability as an actor but also, for me, the second group I listed, his compassion. It is a very rare thing for a human being to be able to convince an audience of utter compassion if he doesn't feel it. I don't think Robin Williams pulled off.a rare thing in some of those fine moments, I think he was bearing his soul and it is a testament to him that people liked it.

Then I factor in the issues which he has struggled with in his personal life and I get a picture of a man whose ability to make me smile and cry on the big screen could do it equally in real life. That is why I say the world is a slightly less colourful place without him in it.

 
That is awful!  I despair of some people and the internet just seems to bring out the worst in some people.  I just can't express out contemptible they are.
Must admit that it really doesn't surprise me nowadays. I think it has a lot to do with TV and a lot of the sh*t that is broadcast in the name of comedy. So many programmes now rely on shock behaviour for their laughs. It's seems the bigger and more disgusting the shock the bigger the laugh regardless of who it may offend.

Some people in their private life just can't help themselves and think others, particularly celebrities, are fare game for abuse. You can bet that those posting the offensive material are happy with their work and probably boosting to their mates who all think it hilarious.

Think I'm beginning to sound my age here.

 
Has anyone seen One Hour Photo? That was the first serious role I saw him in and his performance still spooks me today. Not the greatest of films but I thought he was very believable in it.

 
However this one I find different. He was an exceptionally talented comedian and equally exceptional actor. Whether or not you were a fan of his films if must be hard to deny his ability as an actor. To be able to credibly pull off say Mrs Doubtfire or his Flubber character and also the roles that I remember him most for such as Awakenings, Garp, Fisher King and Dead Poets Society is a mark of his ability as an actor but also, for me, the second group I listed, his compassion. It is a very rare thing for a human being to be able to convince an audience of utter compassion if he doesn't feel it. I don't think Robin Williams pulled off.a rare thing in some of those fine moments, I think he was bearing his soul and it is a testament to him that people liked it.
I think it was genuine. One thing that has struck me is the amount of affection for the man from people who knew him and met him, beyond the usual tributes when someone passes away. It makes his death even sadder.

There are some touching stories about him here:

http://movies.uk.msn.com/features/remembering-robin-williams-and-the-many-lives-he-touched#image=1

 
Last edited by a moderator:
An excellent article, bluedave.  Thank you for posting that.

And a reminder here that we never know when a kind word might make the difference

10530740_10154518722090455_6435791578024769791_n.jpg


 
Has anyone seen One Hour Photo? That was the first serious role I saw him in and his performance still spooks me today. Not the greatest of films but I thought he was very believable in it.
Just back today and this is the first I knew about it!! Can't believe it.

That film was the one that sprang to my mind. Thought it was a powerful film that got everyone thinking he was a bit of a perv/weirdo but in the end he was just a very lonely man with a longing for the family that others had, and a fairly tragic character.

He's been in so many great things over the years going right back to Mork & Mindy.

All his characters were total off the wall types that its no great surprise that he himself has suffered from mental issues over the years.

It's just frightening that it can take such a grip of you that it could lead to suicide. Like many others I've been a bit dismissive of it over the years. I think when Gary Speed took his own life it probably opened my eyes a bit to it.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top