What is you favourite film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uno

An Untouchable
Messages
9,944
Reaction score
1,024
My favourite film is Cast away. Tom Hanks is a genius and Wilson breaks my heart everytime when he floats away.

 
My favourite film is Cast away. Tom Hanks is a genius and Wilson breaks my heart everytime when he floats away.
Never seen it but everyone says it is excellent.

Mine is Goodfellas.

The foul language, the performances from Liotta, Pesci and De Niro, THAT tracking shot as Henry Hill walks through the restaurant with Karen, THAT "funny, how?" scene, the voice overs, the freeze-frames, the direction. Faultless, superb, I've probably watched it over 50 times.

 
Really?

I don't know what my favorite film is, I rarely see movies more than once unless the missus or a mate wants to see it again. Similar to the question of my favourite song or favourite food it really changes all time.

I do enjoy gangster movies though, Goodfellas, Casino, The Godfather, The Departed, Public Enemies, etc. are right up my street.

edit: Looks like I share a taste of films with blueblur  :good2:

2nd edit: I love Taxi Driver, that would also be right up there.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Really?

I don't know what my favorite film is, I rarely see movies more than once unless the missus or a mate wants to see it again. Similar to the question of my favourite song or favourite food it really changes all time.

I do enjoy gangster movies though, Goodfellas, Casino, The Godfather, The Departed, Public Enemies, etc. are right up my street.

edit: Looks like I share a taste of films with blueblur  :good2:

2nd edit: I love Taxi Driver, that would also be right up there.
I watch films over and over again, because I am weird like that.

Yes! Casino, The Departed are also up there in my favourite films list. I've only seen Taxi Driver once, when I was quite young, so I don't think I "got it". Definitely will have to re-watch it.

 
I watch films over and over again, because I am weird like that.

Yes! Casino, The Departed are also up there in my favourite films list. I've only seen Taxi Driver once, when I was quite young, so I don't think I "got it". Definitely will have to re-watch it.
I'm no film buff and probably don't realize half of the cinematography techniques used in films that i've seen, but the way that Taxi Driver is filmed somehow instilling the continual suspense and atmosphere throughout the movie is unrivaled in my opinion.

Not as dark as say Apocalypse Now (the film i'd consider to be the 'greatest ever') but obviously they're in very different environments, the way the urban and moral decay is portrayed throughout Taxi Driver is just fantastic.

 
Couldn't give a top favourite, but among my favourites which I could watch again and again are:

The Royal Hunt of the Sun - Robert Shaw and Christopher Plummer who puts in an amazing performance as Atahualpa.

A Man For All Seasons - Paul Scofield and Robert Shaw (again)

Ryan's Daughter - John Mills, Robert Mitchum, Sarah Miles

 The Spy Who Came in from the Cold - Richard Burton

and a very old  French film called Les Enfants du Paradis

and an old Polish film called Ashes and Diamonds

P.S. and the Deerhunter

and I'm like Blueblur - I can watch films over and over again if they're good.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't pick an all time favourite, I did a top 5 list with a friend around Christmas which was (in no particular order).

Die Hard - It's just the perfect action film.

Pulp Fiction - Game changer, love everything about it.

The Dark Knight - I'm a massive Batman geek (got the tattoo to prove it) so this is just a celluloid wet dream for me. 

Fight Club - Probably my most watched film ever.

Shaun of the Dead - Me and the wife always laugh at this film no matter how many times we watch it. 

 
I couldn't pick an all time favourite, I did a top 5 list with a friend around Christmas which was (in no particular order).

Die Hard - It's just the perfect action film.

Pulp Fiction - Game changer, love everything about it.

The Dark Knight - I'm a massive Batman geek (got the tattoo to prove it) so this is just a celluloid wet dream for me.

Fight Club - Probably my most watched film ever.

Shaun of the Dead - Me and the wife always laugh at this film no matter how many times we watch it.
Some good films on that list. Pulp Fiction was a firm favourite of mine for quite some time.

Fight club was very very clever.

I prefer Hot Fuzz to Shaun of the dead.

 
I'm not of great taste when it comes to films and go through phases of liking different types of things, a few that have stuck with me over the years are:

American Graffitti, love the old cars and the feelgood happy days style of this film, all the characters are good and the old music.

Love Honour and Obey, yep a Ray Winstone classic...love an English gangster film and this was enjoyable.

Streetfighter, the old one with Charles Bronson, good stuff.

Gone in sixty seconds, loved the original and like the cornier Nickolas Cage one as well...Cars Cars Cars.

The Cooler, William H Stacy, a strange bloke who is used to jinx gamblers gets the girl, don't know why I like it but I do.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hardly ever watch anything more than once, it feels like a waste of time when there's so many un-seen films I mean to watch but never get around to. Some of my favourites include:

Blade Runner

Requiem for a Dream

Pi

Oldboy

Pan's Labyrinth

Mullholland Drive

Inland Empire

Taxi Driver

Apocalypse Now

City of God

Aguirre: The Wrath of God

Drunken Master

Beavis and ButtHead Do America

 
I'm no film buff and probably don't realize half of the cinematography techniques used in films that i've seen, but the way that Taxi Driver is filmed somehow instilling the continual suspense and atmosphere throughout the movie is unrivaled in my opinion.

Not as dark as say Apocalypse Now (the film i'd consider to be the 'greatest ever') but obviously they're in very different environments, the way the urban and moral decay is portrayed throughout Taxi Driver is just fantastic.
Taxi Driver is one of those rare films I'll go back to time after time. It's perfect the way it sucks you into it's seedy world, I think the soundtrack has a lot to do with that.

 
Stepbrothers.    it is the only film I can watch many times, and still laught like crazy each time.

 
Stepbrothers.    it is the only film I can watch many times, and still laught like crazy each time.
Ugh. Like, for real? I had to turn it off about half an hour in. Dire, dire film.

I'll add some more greats:

Usual Suspects

Hot Fuzz

Sin City

American Beauty

American Psycho

Trainspotting

Inglorious Basterds

Reservoir Dogs

City of God

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Leon

 
I'm pretty good at appreciating films for what they are, I'd make a terrible critic.  Something has to be really poor for me to actually hate it, unless it's pointless with absolutely no depth or message.  Tarantino and Ridley Scott are my favourite directors though.

 
Bullitt

Bladerunner

Sin City

The Big Lebowski

Alien

Aliens

Vertigo

2001

Seven Samurai

Terminator

I think I`ll stop there, could go on for ages. Of that lot probably The Big Lebowski and Alien are my favourites

Edit to add Akira, even though its a "cartoon" its a brilliant film.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bullitt

Bladerunner

Sin City

The Big Lebowski

Alien

Aliens

Vertigo

2001

Seven Samurai

Terminator

I think I`ll stop there, could go on for ages. Of that lot probably The Big Lebowski and Alien are my favourites

Edit to add Akira, even though its a "cartoon" its a brilliant film.

How did I forget Bullit, that Car chase with the 66 mustang and the 70 charger...immense :biggrin:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top