Best selling albums.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Unchained Melody one?
Yes. It has been a hit single for Jimmy Young, Al Hibbler, Les Baxter, Liberace (all in 1955), Righteous Brothers (1965 and 1990), Robson & Jerome (1995) and Gareth Gates (2002).

 
Here is one for to think aboutUltravox's 'Vienna' was widely acclaimed as a classic song in the 1980s however what kept this song from getting the number one position most people thought it deserved?
This is in the UK, right? I can't even remember what year 'Vienna' was released...
icon_redface.gif


 
That was the easy one.

For the second I could probably list a whole stack of songs that have been covered tons of times and probably end up chancing upon it but I must admit to having no real clue what it is.

 
Here is one for to think aboutUltravox's 'Vienna' was widely acclaimed as a classic song in the 1980s however what kept this song from getting the number one position most people thought it deserved?
This is in the UK, right? I can't even remember what year 'Vienna' was released...
icon_redface.gif
Yes UK -came out in 1981 - a lot of people claim it is the best song to never make it to number one - a fact made amusing when you find out what kept it off

 
The other one is "Everlasting Love" which has been a hit for Love Affair (1968), Robert Knight (1968 and 1974), Rex Smith & Rachel Sweet (1981), Worlds Apart (1993), Gloria Estefan (1995), The Cast From Casualty (1998) and Jamie Cullum (2004).

 
OK I would never have got that - even if I had listed much covered songs

 
Yes UK -came out in 1981 - a lot of people claim it is the best song to never make it to number one - a fact made amusing when you find out what kept it off
'Ghost Town' by the Specials was #1, wasn't it? That was released in 1981, but there's no shame in selling less than that one. Hmmm...
icon_confused.gif


 
I know what the song(Vienna) sounds like, but I've got no idea what the single is that kept it off top spot. My best guess is that it's England's Eurovision Song Contest entry for that year(no idea what it was). I give up.
icon_lol.gif


 
Speechless...I've heard the version done by the Mourinho impersonator. I never knew this was an actual hit single. Yes...that is humiliating.
rofl.gif


This one is easy, but what single kept Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York' from becoming a Christmas #1 in the UK?

 
Pet Shop Boys - Always on my Mind

Disgraceful!

 
What is the most succesful group that has never had a #1 hit in the UK? They've had 42 top 40 hits, but their best effort managed only a #4 spot. They originally came from Basildon, Essex and are still active.

 
What was the first song written by Bob Dylan to top the GB charts

 
Well Dylan himself has never topped the UK charts so it is obviously a cover version or a song written by Dylan for someone else

I know the Byrds version of Mr. Tambourine Man topped the US charts but I don't know if it topped the UK charts

 
Did it really top US and UK charts?

 
The highest position from which a song has dropped out of the UK top 40 entirely is #5. It's a very recent release, but can you name it? There's a bit of controversy to why it dropped so radically.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top