Fifa 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but does anyone else think that the Global Transfer Network is the worst addition to a fifa game for years?

I can't think of any worse additions. Ruins manager mode IMO.
I couldn't agree more. It makes transfer windows looooooong. Hiding OVR stats, approx transfer values etc was a huge mistake. Takes too long to identify targets, send scouts, get reports and strike deals. By the time you've got players in your sights, the transfer window is nearly closed.

Too many times, I have been denied at the last second by a player who wants to stay at their club with no further time to bid for an alternative or bought the player to find their OVR is crap.

The inbox just gets cluttered with so many reports, press stuff and junk that it becomes unnecessarily awkward keeping on top of things.

The scouts come back with garbage most of the time and you would think they would give you actual information if they've been watching players long enough to identify them as a target in the first place. So sending them back out to scout them for two weeks to get their stats (minus the OVR score) is just redundant. So you don't really know what you're buying half the time.

Then its aggro sorting out fees and player agreements. What used to be a quick and simple process of elimination, has now become long winded and tedious.

Also players retire way too early. I had Gareth Bale retire at 29. Also yourself as a manager retires at around 32 aswell. They really rushed the career mode this year. Its the only part of the game I play. I do enjoy it, but have to take regular breaks to stop the tedium setting in.

 
Dont get me wrong though, despite my many criticisms of the game, I do play it more than everything else. There are just so many changes that I would like to see in the next game. A return to the previous transfer market style would be much welcomed.

They also NEED to reintroduce an awesome feature that was in FIFA 96.... Editing kits. Makes a new season feel brand new.

Being able to choose from a selection of kit templates, changing colours, badge, brand and sponsor positions would make pre seasons more refreshing.

I understand there may be possible licensing issues with this, but being able to select from a series of sponsors and kit manufacturers for your club, based on how well you're doing would be cool too. Each could have different investment options too (again, based o performance), which could affect your transfer funds at the start of each season. For instance, if you win silverware, they invest in the club more.

Ahhh EA should hire me for ideas, haha, so many things could turn this game into an epic experience.

 
Dont get me wrong though, despite my many criticisms of the game, I do play it more than everything else. There are just so many changes that I would like to see in the next game. A return to the previous transfer market style would be much welcomed.

They also NEED to reintroduce an awesome feature that was in FIFA 96.... Editing kits. Makes a new season feel brand new.

Being able to choose from a selection of kit templates, changing colours, badge, brand and sponsor positions would make pre seasons more refreshing.

I understand there may be possible licensing issues with this, but being able to select from a series of sponsors and kit manufacturers for your club, based on how well you're doing would be cool too. Each could have different investment options too (again, based o performance), which could affect your transfer funds at the start of each season. For instance, if you win silverware, they invest in the club more.

Ahhh EA should hire me for ideas, haha, so many things could turn this game into an epic experience.
On the topic of pre-season. They should really change friendlies so they're not the same as competitive matches. 11 subs instead of 3. Pre-season tours instead of Wolfsburg away, Roma at home then Galatasaray away for example.

 
On the topic of pre-season. They should really change friendlies so they're not the same as competitive matches. 11 subs instead of 3. Pre-season tours instead of Wolfsburg away, Roma at home then Galatasaray away for example.
That would be great. Also you should have the option as a manager to choose which continents you tour in pre season. Because I find that its always the same teams I find myself against in pre season.

Gets very boring and repetitive. Every season feels like groundhog day on FIFA 14. Always the same scripted events happening too.

Also as a player, when playing as a virtual pro, you should be able to request contract negotiations, be able to run down your contract and have options when it expires. You should even be able to sign pre-contracts midseason in your final year of contract and have the commentators talk about it in games.

My contract never expired in 13 years and I was never given negotiations to renew.

You should also be able to have a use for the money your pro earns, such as training sessions to boost your stats in certain areas, but as a trade off, have it affect your energy levels, making better use of long periods off between games. You should also be able to buy better equipment such as boots, shin pads etc and have it affect your overall transfer value.

Just seems that player growth is incredibly slow and you don't really notice a difference in it. My virtual pro got up to 88 percent completion of the accomplishments and 84 OVR. Yet my transfer value was only 16 mil as a full forward, which decreased as he got older. Was down to 10 mil when he retired. Was kinda hoping to develop my pro to the level of Messi and be worth a massive transfer fee.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't agree more. It makes transfer windows looooooong. Hiding OVR stats, approx transfer values etc was a huge mistake. Takes too long to identify targets, send scouts, get reports and strike deals. By the time you've got players in your sights, the transfer window is nearly closed.

Too many times, I have been denied at the last second by a player who wants to stay at their club with no further time to bid for an alternative or bought the player to find their OVR is crap.

The inbox just gets cluttered with so many reports, press stuff and junk that it becomes unnecessarily awkward keeping on top of things.

The scouts come back with garbage most of the time and you would think they would give you actual information if they've been watching players long enough to identify them as a target in the first place. So sending them back out to scout them for two weeks to get their stats (minus the OVR score) is just redundant. So you don't really know what you're buying half the time.

Then its aggro sorting out fees and player agreements. What used to be a quick and simple process of elimination, has now become long winded and tedious.

Also players retire way too early. I had Gareth Bale retire at 29. Also yourself as a manager retires at around 32 aswell. They really rushed the career mode this year. Its the only part of the game I play. I do enjoy it, but have to take regular breaks to stop the tedium setting in.
Agree with all of that. I bet some big shot at EA came up with the idea and none of the proper game makers had the nuts to tell him how sh*t the idea is.

Desperately hope it's ditched next year, doubt it though.

 
Anyone play the player career mode? I find it frustrating how unintelligent the managers are in this game mode. Subbing a right back for a CB in the 80th minute when the team is 1-0 down is just silly. I wish they would make the managers more intelligent and have them actually change tactics and such depending on the game other than just going offensive when losing or defensive when winning.

 
Agree with all of that. I bet some big shot at EA came up with the idea and none of the proper game makers had the nuts to tell him how sh*t the idea is.

Desperately hope it's ditched next year, doubt it though.
Sadly that's the way most businesses operate these days. Out of touch executives in suits (probably never owned a gaming system in their life) sitting in an office spouting off ideas trying to be edgy. And instead of hiring creative people to improve on the ideas and scrap bad ones, they hire a bunch of yes men.I hope they completely overhaul career mode next time, and when I say overhaul, I mean literally start over from scratch. Its just boring and repetitive. No variation in it at all.

Anyone play the player career mode? I find it frustrating how unintelligent the managers are in this game mode. Subbing a right back for a CB in the 80th minute when the team is 1-0 down is just silly. I wish they would make the managers more intelligent and have them actually change tactics and such depending on the game other than just going offensive when losing or defensive when winning.
I started off playing the virtual pro career mode and understand what you mean. My pro was a centre forward with high stamina. The thing that bugged me the most about that mode was that no matter what, my player would get subbed off at the same time every game. Always around the 65 minute mark.I could have scored a hat trick, have a high conversion rate and still have plenty of energy left whilst midfielders were in the red and I would still get substituted. It felt like the game never really upgraded my player from a young youth team amateur to a fully seasoned pro.

Also the player rating system sucks on it too. When you get subbed off at half time, you automatically get a 6. score, regardless of how you played. You could have scored a first half hat trick, spent the whole half making key passes and finishing it with a respectable shot to goal conversion rate and you'll still get a six point average.

Goalkeepers are worse. Even if you keep a clean sheet, they get a low rating. They need to completely revise it and score players for their performance in the role they are playing in. For instance:

- Goalkeepers primarily scored on a clean sheet and if goals were conceded, score them based on the save to goal conceded ratio

- Defenders primarily scored on a clean sheet and their successful to failed tackle ratio

- Midfielder primarily scored based on their ball distribution

- Forwards primarily scored based on their shot to goal ratio

Not exactly rocket science. But I guess it is to these suits.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone play the player career mode? I find it frustrating how unintelligent the managers are in this game mode. Subbing a right back for a CB in the 80th minute when the team is 1-0 down is just silly. I wish they would make the managers more intelligent and have them actually change tactics and such depending on the game other than just going offensive when losing or defensive when winning.
It annoys me that even into my 3rd season when i'm rated 86 and have like 84 stamina that I still get subbed nearly every game either at half-time or early in the 2nd half because i've done the most running.

 
It annoys me that even into my 3rd season when i'm rated 86 and have like 84 stamina that I still get subbed nearly every game either at half-time or early in the 2nd half because i've done the most running.
That's what made me give up with the player career and moved onto management instead. Besides non existent progression, its the relentless substitutions that got to me. I could have scored a hat trick and have energy in the green still and still get subbed at half time. Hardly what a manager would do in real life. Sub off their goal machine at half time, who is fully energised and up for it.

 
When you guys are getting subbed off are you playing just as your player? Or are you playing as the entire team. I found it easier when I first got the game to play as the whole team and I would always get subbed off at halftime, when I switched to playing just as my pro I usually get 80-90 minutes. May depend on your position as well, I usually play as CAM.

 
I always play as the whole team. Find it too restrictive and disorientating playing as just one player.

I play as a striker and like clockwork, always getting subbed at 65 mins in. Sometimes at half time, which affects my targets for the month, which costs me XP. Its not due to poor performance or stamina either as I use the second wind boost plus my player has naturally high stamina anyway.

Just irritating and spoils the game. Especially when you're trying to hit targets and accomplishments.

 
Play just as your player, should get the full 90 minutes. You get used to it after a while, and you can change the camera angles so it's not that awful pro camera mode they have set as default for that mode.

 
Even still, I don't like the idea of not being in complete control. CPU isnt all that great at passing to your player in that mode.

 
yeah I always play as the whole team, I have 5 star skills and about 88 dribbling and ball control so i just spend most of the game going past players for fun and pretending that i'm that good in real life.

 
yeah I always play as the whole team, I have 5 star skills and about 88 dribbling and ball control so i just spend most of the game going past players for fun and pretending that i'm that good in real life.
Do you hum the MOTD theme whilst doing it? Mate of mine did it the other night and it cracked me up to the point where I had to pause.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Play it on Xbox one mostly, I falll in and out of love of it some decisions really pee me off on it.

 
Yeah. That's FIFA for you. It surprises me how they have yet to get the offside system right on it. The decisions are spot on most of the time, but there are still moments when the whistle is blown when a player who is not offside gets the ball. For instance, I love diagonal forward passing through the midfield or wing positions for attackers to chase and run on goal. But often I am hindered due to an offside player moving forward, not touching the ball and and as soon as another player gets it, I get a whistle.

Equally annoying is the player positioning. I often refer to team mates as the CPUs 12th man. It places them in offside positions during incredible movements. Spoils so many decent goal opportunities. Like earlier, I slipped the perfect through ball, player was in perfect position for an outstanding run, but the replay showed some berk running a fraction off.

Though I did score an absolute stunner against manure earlier with Mario Mandzukic (in a Chelsea shirt). Lovely forward diagonal dink pass finished with a savage volley from beyond the 30 yards mark. Its moments like this that make me fall back in love with the game despite its silly moments.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top