Fifa 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big problem FIFA has is that the game lacks heart. It just doesn't feel like you are playing a game of football. Compare with NBA 2K series. Now the game has its flaws such as overpowered three point shots (though it less prevalent as previous games) but the game is 100 x more immersive than FIFA. You feel every shot and every play.

Add to that superior features such as a nicely laid out MyGM and a brilliant MyPlayer makes FIFA rather chumpish.

I think the football game market is crying out for a shake up, perhaps a new developer to try and create a new game which really manages to capture the feeling of football.

FIFA has plateaued a lot since FIFA 10 and I don't think the jump on next gen was great. Konami could surprise us all on this gen if they pull their finger out. They took strides on 14 capturing footballing spirit. In my opinion PES 2014 was extremely immersive as a footballing experience but it was let down by complete game breakers like hideous keepers and the worst defending system on a football game in about 15 years.

All I'm saying is FIFA need to watch their backs as fans are starting to become a bit disgruntled

 
It's the same with all the annual "series" games. Besides a few minor tweaks and new players/team line ups/kits etc, its the same base game. They could have released FIFA 14 as a marketplace update for FIFA 13.

The next gen version of the game is pretty much a previous gen port so its not going to reach the full capabilities of a next gen console until EA start phasing out the older gen console versions (something I can't see happening for a few years yet).

They definitely need to start over and give it a complete reboot. Maybe take a year off and come back with something amazing? I would happily wait two years if they make the wait worthwhile.

Its just so samey. I tend to limit myself to one/two hour sessions. Mostly due to not having the time to play it more, but also because it bores the s**t out of me if I play any longer. Everything is so repetitive. Including the goals I score. The way the CPU plays, (mostly the offsides) stifles any form of creativity.

If FIFA 15 isn't any better than 14, I will be taking another break from buying FIFA titles until major improvements are made. Pointless paying 40 to 50 quid just for kit updates.

Also, anybody else use the Game Face virtual pro? May seem trivial, but my Gameface avatar on EA online has facial hair, but it still doesn't get imported onto the game. I've always had a beard so feels weird seeing my pro score with a pre pubescent looking face lol.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are playing against the CPU and you are expecting to enjoy yourself? Not going to happen I'm afraid, I'm actually surprised people bother playing offline to begin with. It's samey and boring because there's only so much they can do with a CPU, they could put in different playing styles, etc but that would require far too much effort for a game that's meant to come out annually. All they can do is artificially increase the difficulty (I hate games that do this).

Also I have a feeling most of you would snap your disk in half after playing Pro Clubs for a bit, right up there with FUT as the most broken game mode.

 
A big problem FIFA has is that the game lacks heart. It just doesn't feel like you are playing a game of football. Compare with NBA 2K series. Now the game has its flaws such as overpowered three point shots (though it less prevalent as previous games) but the game is 100 x more immersive than FIFA. You feel every shot and every play.

Add to that superior features such as a nicely laid out MyGM and a brilliant MyPlayer makes FIFA rather chumpish.

I think the football game market is crying out for a shake up, perhaps a new developer to try and create a new game which really manages to capture the feeling of football.

FIFA has plateaued a lot since FIFA 10 and I don't think the jump on next gen was great. Konami could surprise us all on this gen if they pull their finger out. They took strides on 14 capturing footballing spirit. In my opinion PES 2014 was extremely immersive as a footballing experience but it was let down by complete game breakers like hideous keepers and the worst defending system on a football game in about 15 years.

All I'm saying is FIFA need to watch their backs as fans are starting to become a bit disgruntled
Not going to happen anytime soon. No one will be able to afford the licences, which sadly does actually matter. 

 
That's the big problem fella. They're too keen to release one every season. I don't watch wrestling, and haven't done since i was a teenager (hate it, its like Neighbours on steroids), but play the games occasionally. They just tack on a bunch of new faces and market it as brand new.

The new WWE game is done through a new developer and even that is the same as the old ones. Its like they signed a contract to buy the formula or something.

These companies will continue to do this until their audience stops paying attention.

Not hoping for much with FIFA 15 but having seen the mass amounts of negative feedback FIFAs 13 and 14 received, a part of me hopes that they will acknowledge and do something about them.

Even small details like teams who win the league wear gold patches in career mode and newly promoted teams having premiership patches and name sets would be something.

Guess we just wait and see.

I tried playing the online modes but when you're constantly getting players that take the lead and play back half passing between 3 players to run the clock down, or players who quit as soon as you go a goal or two up, takes the fun out of it,

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else play co-op seasons? It's rubbish how there's only 5 divisions. We've won division 1 so many times there's no desire to play it much more. 

Feels like EA really rushed it. The matchmaking is a joke too.

In general, this FIFA has been a disappointing addition, although compared to the new world cup game, it's phenomenal. 

 
Is the world cup one proper crap then? Heard it wasn't all that. They would have been better off just launchijfg it as DLC for FIFA 14 like they did with the European cup on FIFA 12.

 
No-one has mentioned the #1 fault with FIFA, and that is that as soon as EA realized they can continue to get money out of customers after they've already bought the game by means of buying packs on Ultimate Team, every other aspect of the game immediately became a distant priority relative to EA trying to maximize the incentives to play Ultimate Team and to invest in better plays.

Hell, even on seasons mode after every game or on every pause menu there are a bunch of ads about current offers on Ultimate Team packs and links to take me there right then, in the middle of a game.

The more infuriating the game is the more likely teenagers will get pissy, go upstairs and nick their dads credit card, and buy some more packs hoping to get a Ronaldo or Ribery.

 
Yeah, micro transactions are a cheap shot when it comes to games. In fact, (call me old fashioned) any kind of additional cash requirement just to play the game is damn cheeky as far as I am concerned. Especially when the game itself costs 50 quid.

The Elder Scrolls Online is the worst culprit. A mate of mine was telling me that you literally cannot play it at all without paying a monthly subscription ON TOP of the monthly PSN or XBL subscription. So essentially, you pay 50 odd quid for the disc, get home and have to pay another 7 quid or something just to play it.

Now that right there is a piss take. People argue that it helps maintain servers etc. But what does the 50 quid base cost pay for then?

I dont play ultimate team because of the micro transactions. Cannot be bothered with it. The mechanics of it are built to constantly require top ups so its essentially a mode to encourage more spending. What you said about kids and their parents' credit cards is spot on too Jonty. The adverts in the upper corner are a nuisance aswell. I'm just not interested in it. Its borderline in game spam.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
"I lack the skill to progress further, that's all right though because for only £9.99 I can just buy my way through the game"

 
"I lack the skill to progress further, that's all right though because for only £9.99 I can just buy my way through the game"
Pretty much, I've found in my ultimate team experiences that whenever I face an opponent with a Team of the Year card or another very valuable team, a lot of the time I actually win, probably more so than against opponents with teams valued 150k-250k.

I faced a team with a starting XI of all legendary cards and won 6-0, all he did was pace down the wings and cross and he couldn't even do that properly, it was pretty amusing. I made sure I took the piss out of him by passing the ball in triangles around him once I was 3-0 up and the game was over.

 
Not going to happen anytime soon. No one will be able to afford the licences, which sadly does actually matter.
Yeah that will matter a lot for a new game, despite the ease of downloading mods.

I will, like every year, hold out for a good PES and give it a fair crack of the whip for what it is. Though I'm not holding out.

 
Pretty much, I've found in my ultimate team experiences that whenever I face an opponent with a Team of the Year card or another very valuable team, a lot of the time I actually win, probably more so than against opponents with teams valued 150k-250k.

I faced a team with a starting XI of all legendary cards and won 6-0, all he did was pace down the wings and cross and he couldn't even do that properly, it was pretty amusing. I made sure I took the piss out of him by passing the ball in triangles around him once I was 3-0 up and the game was over.
They spend all that money for those players, you think they would at least put in the effort to get the best out of them.

Yeah that will matter a lot for a new game, despite the ease of downloading mods.

I will, like every year, hold out for a good PES and give it a fair crack of the whip for what it is. Though I'm not holding out.
PES 2006 was amazing, best football game I've ever played with the Fifa World Cup 2010 a close second. 

It's only recently that PES has started to drop the ball, even when it was clearly better than FIFA it didn't sell anywhere near the same amount. 

 
They spend all that money for those players, you think they would at least put in the effort to get the best out of them.

PES 2006 was amazing, best football game I've ever played with the Fifa World Cup 2010 a close second.

It's only recently that PES has started to drop the ball, even when it was clearly better than FIFA it didn't sell anywhere near the same amount.
Yeah I'm glad you appreciate FIFA World Cup 2010, that was actually a really impressive game. I don't know how they got it so right, but they did.

 
"I lack the skill to progress further, that's all right though because for only £9.99 I can just buy my way through the game"
Haha this!!!! This also applies to other games like Battlefield, where people buy shortcuts to get all the gear early. Takes the fun out of it to me. In all games, I enjoy working my way through it. Instead of sitting there like some spoilt rich kid with a credit card.

I never quite got on with PES. Just something not right with player movement and the way its set up. Though I will pay attention when the new one comes out in the hope that its improved.

This next launch of PES and FIFA games will be a deciding factor in where my loyalties lie next year. Not gonna lie, FIFA is getting worse. They need to step it up x10 with 15.

 
Does anyone get caught offside a lot and upon watching the replay, you're actually onside quite a bit. I actually think that would be a good attribute to the game as long as you get the occasion onside decision when you're actually off (by an inch or 2)

Also I'd really like to be able to choose a free kick technique for my player.

You have your standard one, Ronaldo knuckle ball one, Eden Hazard stand to the side one and of course the long run up.

 
Does anyone get caught offside a lot and upon watching the replay, you're actually onside quite a bit. I actually think that would be a good attribute to the game as long as you get the occasion onside decision when you're actually off (by an inch or 2)

Also I'd really like to be able to choose a free kick technique for my player.

You have your standard one, Ronaldo knuckle ball one, Eden Hazard stand to the side one and of course the long run up.
Happens to me often actually, FIFA 14 calls the tightest offside calls in my opinion...
 
Is the world cup one proper crap then? Heard it wasn't all that. They would have been better off just launchijfg it as DLC for FIFA 14 like they did with the European cup on FIFA 12.
Yeah I hated it. Feels so sluggish and if you thought the refs were bad in 14, this will blow your socks off. 

 
Who here plays UT on Ps4? Or Clubs on PS4?

Im enjoying playing with my virtual pro but Ultimate is absolutely awful for so many reasons... I still play it... never spend money on it either.

 
Does anyone get caught offside a lot and upon watching the replay, you're actually onside quite a bit. I actually think that would be a good attribute to the game as long as you get the occasion onside decision when you're actually off (by an inch or 2)

Also I'd really like to be able to choose a free kick technique for my player.

You have your standard one, Ronaldo knuckle ball one, Eden Hazard stand to the side one and of course the long run up.
With me, the offside calls are quite often very wrong. The worst is when you pass to a player who is onside but get flagged because the CPU places one random player who isn't even part of the move and hasn't even had a touch like a cm offside. So annoying.

The general placement of players on your own team is abysmal. You still get instances where you'll do a run which fails only for the defender to bicycle kick it all the way from their box to yours and after a few in game minutes, you pass forward to find your striker from the previous move only JUST running back but still wildly offside. Team mates AI is shocking considering how much practice EA has had in making FIFA games.

Also, how many incredibly anal decisions do you get? Decisions where upon watching the replay, the two offside indicator lines are on top of each other, so they look like one line. Not many officials who could spot such a minute offside and get it right. Its ridiculous.

I think a good way of them doing offside calls would be to gauge the accuracy by ref/linesmen positioning and give them a field of vision. So if you commit a fowl right near an official, it gets written up proper but if you do it a distance from one, mistakes can be made. Would be more realistic than having Robocop officiating.

As for free kicks, they're a pain in the ass. I still have yet to score one as I can't deal with the system. There is no choice to pick out a player, so its a case of aiming roughly in the area and hope you get the right amount of power. Curve appears to be luck based.

Yeah I hated it. Feels so sluggish and if you thought the refs were bad in 14, this will blow your socks off.
Sounds horrible. The officiating in 14 is some of the worst I have seen in any sporting game.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top