Holland V Messitina

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think on this occasion not so pointless. semi-finals is some achievement loved Italia 90 when England got there and think Brazil should get out there heads held high and have a go with the pressure off. It will help the players and fans no end to move on.

 
I think on this occasion not so pointless. semi-finals is some achievement loved Italia 90 when England got there and think Brazil should get out there heads held high and have a go with the pressure off. It will help the players and fans no end to move on.
I personally have moved on since before the World Cup even started.

Plus after yesterday's result, I've reached a dizzying 18th spot in the office pool. If Argentina win on Sunday, I might even make the top 10, should Germany win, I drop about 4 or 5 places. This is very important you know, my office cred is at stake.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Be serious Valarie ! I want Oscar, Ramires and Willian back in a decent frame of mind :)

 
Third place playoff should be scrapped.  Who gives a sh*t?  Who remembers?  
I agree but I'm $ur€ £i£a hav€ a £air £€w r€a$on$ £or it.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh well that's my sweepstake team out of the running...I hope Germany win the final as I hate the Messi love in (in order to work out how to nullify him  watch him against Ashley Cole)

I also hate Aguero, Mascherano and the Pope too at the moment...

Bloody Argies ! I'm left with not even the consolation prize in the office and am officially sulking.

 
I'll be supporting Germany.

Argentina_2935012b.jpg


 
so......Is Van Gaal still this mystical genius that gets everything right?

 
A dreadful game to watch... Couldn't get into it at all.

Although I appreciate the sentiment, I think it's a bit naive to suggest that Argentina are a one man team. Di Maria, Higuain, Mascherano, Demichellis, Aguero, Zabaleta & Lavezzi all play for top clubs and they are a team that play to their strengths with an energy sapping high pressing game.

That said, I don't think they'll beat Germany.

Messi has been kept very quiet in the last couple of games, and looked either unfit or disinterested towards the end of last night's match.

 
What did he do wrong last night? They looked the most likely team to win. No one has said he gets every call right but he has certainly made more good ones than bad ones so far in this world cup

 
Did Ron Vlaar really miss his penalty yesterday ?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=531923356953201

It's hard to tell by the video but the ball may well have crossed the line.
Does anyone actually know the official rule on that? I've always thought in a penalty shoot if the ball is saved and travels away from the goal the ball is dead. Who knows anyway I don't even think the whole ball crossed the line

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone actually know the official rule on that? I've always thought in a penalty shoot if the ball is saved and travels away from the goal the ball is dead. Who knows anyway I don't even think the whole ball crossed the line
I have seen it given once, the keeper was celebrating and the ball rolled back into the net :biggrin:


 
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone actually know the official rule on that? I've always thought in a penalty shoot if the ball is saved and travels away from the goal the ball is dead. Who knows anyway I don't even think the whole ball crossed the line
Reading an article about it on the Guardian's site it says the ref has to wait for the ball to finish it's natural path before declaring it dead. If it had crossed the line the next thing to decide would be did Vlaar touch it. Replays aren't conclusive though I don't think he did.

 
It looks like he touched the ball for me, well from that angle it does anyway.

The funny thing is I think even if he didn't touch it the ball was going in anyway, so if he did in fact touch the ball he could be strangely regretting that decision.

 
As amazing as he may be sometimes, he does f**k all when he hasn't got the ball. It can be the 5th minute of the first half and you will see him walking around the pitch aimlessly. Does nothing to get the ball back ever and only ever tries when he is in possession of the ball.

Give me a hard-working, die on the pitch type of player every day over Messi's flair.
The facts don't really support that conclusion. It's a strange dichotomy among EPL fans that if you're a "flair" player you automatically can't defend, and vice versa.

Messi is averaging 1.7 tackles per game. By way of comparison, more traditionally "hard-working" forwards such as Thomas Muller, Alexis Sanchez and Dirk Kuyt are actually slightly less (1.0/1.3/1.5 respectively) and that group is way ahead of the likes of Robben (0.2) or van Persie (0.5) despite Messi/Muller/Sanchez playing in far less defensive teams.

 
PS I'm glad Holland are out. Boring, cynical side. Thoroughly unlikeable and Robben is the only player that I have any sort of affection for.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top