Last Movie You Watched

Cass is a good watch, although I know a few old skoolers (from different clubs) who said he's a sell-out for doing it.Dunno if he went against the unwritten code or it's a case of sour grapes?
Sour Grapes to be honest . Not meaning to play the race card but Cass is a much bigger seller and better story given the time and place he was about rather than the rest of them .Funny how they are all to scared to mention the top fella in name anywhere ............

 
I recently saw a movie called "Mary & Max" which is a stop motion film from Australia. It's about a young girl in Australia who become a pen pal with a middle aged man in New York.

It's a very bleak movie and certainly not for kids. But it's rather funny and interesting. Just like with "The White Ribbon" I thought I would find this movie a bit boring, but it wasn't. I actually couldn't stop watching it.

Despite it being a relatively small movie (atleast I hadn't heard about it when I stumbled across it), it do have some big names in the cast. Toni Collette, Barry Humphries (Dame Edna), Eric Bana and Philip Seymour Hoffman. They are all really good and even though I knew Hoffman was in it I couldn't identify him anywhere in the movie.

I doubt this one will be nominated for an Oscar, but if you ask me then I think it should. I've watched both "Up" and "Coraline" (two of the biggest favourites I guess) and while both are great I still think "Mary and Max" is just as good. It's not a movie for the kids, but it's darn good anyway.

I had the same problem with Paranormal Activity. After having watched it online, all I can say is thank you Odeon cinema for saving me £4.
I agree. The idea for PA was great, but it didn't pay off. I admire the effort though. Modern horror movies have to realize that to be a great horror movie they don't have to have oceans for blood and guts flying everywhere.

It's enough to have a good script, good actors and create a good atmosphere.

 
Last movie I watched was Lumumba. A great film for anyone interested in history, or the decolonization of African countries trough control. It's the story of Patrice Lumumba, elect premier minister of Congo (right after the independence from Belgium), and his rise to power and finally assassination. I'm majoring in history and had a few courses on the subject, and it really strikes you on how openly his opposition, the UN secretary general, the American secret services and the European governments were so open on corruption and elimination of possible threats to their puppet dictators in Africa. It's a sad story, and shows you how much blame the Western world has to take for the condition of Africa.

 
I recently saw a movie called "Mary & Max" which is a stop motion film from Australia. It's about a young girl in Australia who become a pen pal with a middle aged man in New York. It's a very bleak movie and certainly not for kids. But it's rather funny and interesting. Just like with "The White Ribbon" I thought I would find this movie a bit boring, but it wasn't. I actually couldn't stop watching it.

Despite it being a relatively small movie (atleast I hadn't heard about it when I stumbled across it), it do have some big names in the cast. Toni Collette, Barry Humphries (Dame Edna), Eric Bana and Philip Seymour Hoffman. They are all really good and even though I knew Hoffman was in it I couldn't identify him anywhere in the movie.

I doubt this one will be nominated for an Oscar, but if you ask me then I think it should. I've watched both "Up" and "Coraline" (two of the biggest favourites I guess) and while both are great I still think "Mary and Max" is just as good. It's not a movie for the kids, but it's darn good anyway.

I agree. The idea for PA was great, but it didn't pay off. I admire the effort though. Modern horror movies have to realize that to be a great horror movie they don't have to have oceans for blood and guts flying everywhere.

It's enough to have a good script, good actors and create a good atmosphere.
So Hoffman was not the middle aged man in New York? :)

 
Just watched Antichrist; I like von Trier's films and although not disliking this one my slight misanthropic traits pale in this light

 
I watched The Kite Runner today. I've been reluctant to watch it because I enjoyed the book so much, but I was given it for my birthday, so eventually I got round to viewing it.

I'd like to hear the reactions of anyone who saw the film without having read the book.

 
I watched The Kite Runner today. I've been reluctant to watch it because I enjoyed the book so much, but I was given it for my birthday, so eventually I got round to viewing it.I'd like to hear the reactions of anyone who saw the film without having read the book.
Saw the film before reading the book.

Bloody good film in my opinion.

 
Saw the film before reading the book.Bloody good film in my opinion.
Yes, I thought it was excellent. I particularly liked the way they stuck to whichever language would have been used instead of resorting to dubbing. I just wondered to what extent my knowledge of the book was causing me to fill in blanks in the film e.g. Hassan's and Amir's thoughts.

 
Yes, I thought it was excellent. I particularly liked the way they stuck to whichever language would have been used instead of resorting to dubbing. I just wondered to what extent my knowledge of the book was causing me to fill in blanks in the film e.g. Hassan's and Amir's thoughts.
I actually decided to give the film a miss as I enjoyed the book, not a great believer in seeing films if I've read the book. The opposite way round I've seen the Swedish films based on Stig Larsson's trilogy and reckon I'll now read the books.

 
Yes, I thought it was excellent. I particularly liked the way they stuck to whichever language would have been used instead of resorting to dubbing. I just wondered to what extent my knowledge of the book was causing me to fill in blanks in the film e.g. Hassan's and Amir's thoughts.
Have you watched the extras? Watch the director's comments, it's quite interesting. If I remember rightly he said he wanted the rape scene to portray Hassan as Afghanistan being violated by it's bullies whilst Amir was the rest of the world watching, but doing nothing from a safe distance.

Kinda deep.

 
Have you watched the extras? Watch the director's comments, it's quite interesting. If I remember rightly he said he wanted the rape scene to portray Hassan as Afghanistan being violated by it's bullies whilst Amir was the rest of the world watching, but doing nothing from a safe distance.Kinda deep.
Ah! I haven't watched the extras yet. I'll do that tomorrow if it's peeing with rain again!

 
Final Destination 4 - life is a pitch and then you die, any questions? :unsure: Not much of a scary movie, worth a few giggles

Jennifer's body - should be called Megan's body, that's why we watch the movie, right?

 
Just saw a little movie called "Moon" which was a nice little surprise.

It's a one man show by Sam Rockwell (a very underrated actor) who plays Sam Bell - an astronaut managing a station on the moon. He has a three year contract and its about to run out. Finally he'll be heading back to earth and his wife and daughter. He can't wait.

It's not easy spending three years all alone in space with only a computer (voiced by Kevin Spacey) as company.

I wont tell you any more about it because I don't want to spoil it. I found it very interesting though and much of it is because of Rockwell who really is great in this movie.

I recommend it.

 
Which Hamlet was it? Who was in the main roles?

 
Just saw a little movie called "Moon" which was a nice little surprise. It's a one man show by Sam Rockwell (a very underrated actor) who plays Sam Bell - an astronaut managing a station on the moon. He has a three year contract and its about to run out. Finally he'll be heading back to earth and his wife and daughter. He can't wait.

It's not easy spending three years all alone in space with only a computer (voiced by Kevin Spacey) as company.

I wont tell you any more about it because I don't want to spoil it. I found it very interesting though and much of it is because of Rockwell who really is great in this movie.

I recommend it.
I really wanted to see that when it was in the cinema. I shall invest soon enough I think.

 
I watched The Age of Stupid the other day and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Their cause is an important one, but as a movie this just wasn't all that great. These kind of movies are supposed to make you so angry about the state of the world that you're ready to start a riot before the end credits have started to roll, but in parts it felt more like a children's school report than a hard hitting documentary. Well, it's not 100% documentary, but you get the picture.

 
Back
Top