Last night I thought I would try and watch Halloween 2, no not the original one from 1981, but the new one from 2009.
It is the 10th Halloween movie if I'm correct and one has to wonder when the series will end.
The two most recent movies are made by Rob Zombie - a musician who started making his own music videos and then thought he might start making movies.
I watched his first Halloween last year and I thought it was pretty bad, but had some elements that was mildly interesting.
One has to realize that it is easy to fail when one tries to make a new version of a cult classic like Halloween. But he didn't screw up to badly.
So last night I decided to watch Rob Zombies sequel.
It was horrible! One of the worst movies I have seen in a long time.
Story? Bad
Actors? Awful
Scary? Not really
One thing that really annoys me about Robs movies is his characters. There are very few I can at all sympathize with. Most are just awful. Girls are rude b*tches and the men are filthy ba*tards. In Halloween 2 there was perhaps 2-3 people who I kinda liked. One of them was killed after about 2 minutes on screen.
I might be wrong, but what is the point in making a movie about a killer when you actually want him/her to kill his victims?
I wanna cheer for the victims and hope that they will make it. I don't wanna sit there and say "Come on Michael, kill the f*ckers!".
But moving on there were other things that wasn't good. First of all the movie spent alot of time in some kind of dream or hallucinatory state where Michael Myers saw himself as a boy and his mother. It just didn't fit in really.
Now in the first Halloween Rob showed us alot about how Michael Myers came to become the murderer he is. We see him as a small boy, both before he starts killing and after. That was kinda interesting.
But now it's gone too far.
One of the reasons why Myers are as scary as he is, is because we don't know much about him. He is hidden behind his mask and we can't really tell what makes him kill. And we see no emotions, which add to the fright as well.
This leads me to another bad thing. We get to see almost all of Michael Myers face in this movie and that really sucks!
As I stated above, one of the reasons why atleast I like Michael Myers is the fact that we can't see his face - we can't touch him.
Now we get to see a man, not a strong, silent, mysterious murderer.
And speaking of silent. I've see almost every Halloween movie and I can't remember hearing Myers talk. He does in this movie. He grunts when he stabs people. It makes him more human of course, but we/I don't want him to be human.
I've already mentioned the bad acting. It is amazing to see someone like Malcolm McDowell who was great in A Clockwork Orange go on and make crap movie after crap movie. In this one he is quite bad and his character is a jerk.
Brad Dourif is in this one and he is one actor that I sometimes like. Not sure why though. He is decent in this one, but not great. Maybe it's down to how Rob Zombie handled the actors.
We also get to see Margot Kidder. Yes, Lois Lane is in this one and she is as boring as watching paint dry,
Crap movie that I wont watch again. I've seen three of Rob Zombies movies (he's done 5 I think) and I wonder if he can do something different for once. In all of his movies there is sex, blood and dirty/filthy characters that mostly don't feel natural. Also, we get to the the F word in every scene. I know it's a quite common word nowadays, but surely nobody uses it in every sentence?
I've just read that Mr Zombie is going to make a remake of "The Blob" - another cult classic. I expect him to mess it up completely.
I can't understand why they keep letting him make movies. It's not like they are hits at the boxoffice. The latest Halloween movie has apparently made just over twice as much as it cost making. I guess that is good, but surely there are other movies that can do better?
And I also can't understand how his movies can make money at all. And before you say that I watched the movie I want to point out that I have never paid for a Rob Zombie movie and I probably never will unless he somehow becomes great at making movies in the future which I really doubt. He's not as bad as Uwe Boll, but he's still crap.