Movies and all it includes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more interested in seeing what films are being shown and given awards to at the Cannes film festival. To me Golden Globes are almost like a teaser trailer for the Academy Awards as they are usually a pretty good indicator of which films are likely to win Oscars. Ofcourse Golden Globes has categories for television shows, so that's something different, but they don't have the technical achievement awards that the Oscars have. I'm always looking forward to see who get the awards for best editing, cinematography, sound design etc.

 
I'm more interested in seeing what films are being shown and given awards to at the Cannes film festival. To me Golden Globes are almost like a teaser trailer for the Academy Awards as they are usually a pretty good indicator of which films are likely to win Oscars. Ofcourse Golden Globes has categories for television shows, so that's something different, but they don't have the technical achievement awards that the Oscars have. I'm always looking forward to see who get the awards for best editing, cinematography, sound design etc.
Agree. However, I do feel both award shows (the Globes and the Oscars) each have their good sides.

I feel that anyone can win in the Golden Globes as long as they have been good enough. At the Oscars you will have a hard time winning if you're in a comedy or fantasy-movie.

And I do like the television awards.

As for the technical achievement awards at the Oscars I'm not too keen on them. Most aren't even shown except for a short vid during the awards.

And you just know that if Scorsese has made a movie then Thelma will win the award
icon_wink.gif


I seldom follow the awards in Cannes. I really should follow it more closely.

 
And you just know that if Scorsese has made a movie then Thelma will win the award
icon_wink.gif
Well, she's won a few Oscars from her work in Scorsese films, but she didn't win an award for Gangs of New York or Goodfellas.
icon_wink.gif


Come to think of it...not sure if she won one single Oscar between Raging Bull and The Aviator. I'm sure she's been nominated for plenty of them during those years, but not sure if she's won any.
300.gif


But I see your point, though.
icon_wink.gif
icon_lol.gif


 
Anyone else seen any more of the "Cloverfield" film. I have seen a new clip and it looks like another "monster attacks Manhattan" movie. It seems that the monster also carries parasites that infect people. There is also a lot of people running about shouting "it's alive!" which, coincidentally, happens to be the tag line to an old movie called "The Beast from 20,000 leagues" which is also about a monster that comes and attackes manhattan and carries parasites!

Honestly, Hollywood doesnt' do anything original anymore

Scott

 
Anyone else seen any more of the "Cloverfield" film. I have seen a new clip and it looks like another "monster attacks Manhattan" movie. It seems that the monster also carries parasites that infect people. There is also a lot of people running about shouting "it's alive!" which, coincidentally, happens to be the tag line to an old movie called "The Beast from 20,000 leagues" which is also about a monster that comes and attackes manhattan and carries parasites!Honestly, Hollywood doesnt' do anything original anymore

Scott
I'm not sure what to thin about Cloverfield. I like the name of the movie and it looks really good in the trailers. But we don't know exactly what it's about so it's hard to say for sure if it will be good or bad.

It looks original even though the whole "monster attacks manhattan" isn't something new. The question is if it's a new Godzilla or something else?

It will be interesting to see what it'll be like to watch a movie that's filmed as if with a cam recorder. Will it be like that all the time or just for some parts? I didn't like Blair Witch Project but maybe it'll be better in this one. It might suit the movie perfectly.

There's alot of "maybe" about this movie for me. I really have to watch it as soon as it comes out.

Here's a clip from the movie:

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/12/14/check-out-5-minutes-of-cloverfield/http://www.cinematical.com/2007/12/14/c ... overfield/

And here's what the monster will look like:

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/11/16/holy-crap-check-out-the-cloverfield-monster/http://www.cinematical.com/2007/11/16/h ... d-monster/

icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif


 
The Golden Globe awards are approaching!

Anyone seen the nominated films?

I'm trying to watch them all before the awards but it seems impossible since very few of them have come to Sweden yet. And it's very hard to find a good version on the internet.

Still, I've seen 5 movies so far. Four of them are nominated for "Best Picture - Drama" and one is nominated for "Best Picture - Musical or Comedy".

The movies are:

Atonement

American Gangster

Eastern Promises

Hairspray

No Country For Old Men

Five really good movies though I must admit that I'm slightly disappointed at No Country For Old Men. It was good but not as good as I had thought.

Looking forward to seeing Sweeney Todd, Juno and There Will Be Blood.

I wont predict the winners just yet since I haven't seen that many of the nominated movies but hopefully I can give you all my thoughts before the awards.

 
Sad to hear that no country for old men wasn't as good as expected. I was actually quite excited about the Coehns trying a more serious genre. I have not seen it yet, as I usually don't pay the astronomical prices of the cinemas.

I did just rent Eastern Promises, and will watch it tomorrow. Hairspray, will never watch

 
The Golden Globes = Cancelled!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NotAvingIt.gif


 
I have a public safety announcement about a certain film.

Don't watch i am legend. It is a crock of sh*t.

 
I saw Juno- I liked it, sorry if no one else does. It was funny and also ironic since the whole Jamie spears thing.

As for Cloverfields, it's shot in sort of a documentary way(so I've heard) with different people taping the events. Original or not, still looks good, plus the commercials leave you with a cliff hanger. And it better be good for $10!

 
Because of the writers' strike?
Yes, that's the reason. And if they don't solve everything soon we might not get the Academy Awards either. If that happen then my whole year is ruined before it even started. No trophy for Chelsea can comfort me then
346.gif


I have a public safety announcement about a certain film.Don't watch i am legend. It is a crock of sh*t.
I kinda liked it. Will Smith was great anyway. But the cgi monsters were not that good. Not compared to Dobby and Gollum - The dynamic duo
icon_wink.gif


I saw Juno- I liked it, sorry if no one else does. It was funny and also ironic since the whole Jamie spears thing.As for Cloverfields, it's shot in sort of a documentary way(so I've heard) with different people taping the events. Original or not, still looks good, plus the commercials leave you with a cliff hanger. And it better be good for $10!
I want to see both of them. Juno seems to be very good and I think Ellen Page is a future star. Have to see it soon.

As for Cloverfield. Well, after watching the trailers I have to see it, no question about it. I just hope it lives up to the hype and doesn't turn out to be a War of the worlds. If it's as good as the trailer says then it will be one heck of a journey
icon_wink.gif


 
The Golden Globes = Cancelled!NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NotAvingIt.gif
Seemingly, all they will do is have a press conference where they will read the results. it is because of the writers strike as the actors said that they would not cross the picket lines to attend the ceremony

 
...the actors said that they would not cross the picket lines to attend the ceremony
Ok...I first thought that no one would be willing to host the show without scripted jokes.
icon_rolleyes.gif


Seriously speaking, I think it's great that the actors are supporting the writers.
clap2.gif


 
...the actors said that they would not cross the picket lines to attend the ceremony
Ok...I first thought that no one would be willing to host the show without scripted jokes.
icon_rolleyes.gif


Seriously speaking, I think it's great that the actors are supporting the writers.
clap2.gif
I think so to but, damn it, I want my Golden Globes
icon_mad.gif


 
Just had a look at best of 2007 lists on metacritic.com, which is a site that compiles film, dvd, music, game, book and tv reviews and determines an average rating based on all the reviews, and I have to say I'm VERY surprised about some of the movies on their The Best-Reviewed Movies of 2007.

I mean, first of all...Ratatouille is #1?
icon_eek.gif
I haven't seen it, but I seriously do wonder how come it has got such good reviews from so many critics. I was under the impression it's quite ordinary.

Ofcourse you can tell that the site heavily concentrates on reviews from US websites when you see films like "No End in Sight" in the top-10.

 
I can't say that I've seen all the films on that list, but even so I have to admit that that list is a bit wierd.

Ratatouille was really good. I liked it. But best in 2007? I don't really think so.

This Is England was a disappointment too. But that might be because I didn't quite like the style of the movie.
317.gif


Oh well, how often do you come across a list that you think is perfect? There's always something that you disagree with. I know I do.

Tonight we'll see who'll win at the Golden Globes. I'm really looking forward to it even if the show was cancelled. Then I will just pray to God that they don't cancel the Oscars.

 
It wasn't about the list not being "perfect" to my taste, but more about being surprised about how many smaller lesser known films have been included on that list in favour of the some of the big favourites for Oscars and Golden Globes. Ofcourse the bigger films get reviewed by such a large number of critics that they're likely to get ratings all across the scale. Ratatouille is just one example but to see a big profile animated film on the top of the list is very surprising indeed considering the way that list has been compiled. It's just that there were quite a few films that I was expecting to see on that list. For example, only 3 out of 7 films nominated for Best Motion Picture Drama in the Golden Globes are included on that list.

 
Just watched the Golden Globes. Well, the 30 minute short version anyway. I thought they would atleast make it an hour or so, but it only lasted 30 minutes.

Big surprise in the end.

"Atonement" won for best motion picture ahead of "The Will Be Blood" and the big favourite "No Country For Old Men".

I'm happy. I liked that movie.
clap2.gif


 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top