Nerds needed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uno

An Untouchable
Messages
9,944
Reaction score
1,024
Hi nerds/geeks/dorks.

I need a bit of help. My PC has one TB of memory but i would like some more. Where can i get another memory card for a good price?

Thanks

 
Why would you insult people you are asking for help? Are those not derogatory terms in England?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not really, its not that insulting.

Those who know the answers wont be insulted i dont think.

 
You have 1 TB of memory and want MORE?? How much porn do you have on that thing, Uno?

It's not really a derogatory term, Stim. I am a geek, and proud of it. I see the term as one having specialist knowledge.

 
I think most people regard these terms as fairly pejorative.  I have specialist knowledge of lots of things, but I am definitely not a geek, a nerd, or a dork!

In fact, given the title of the thread, I am amazed that I looked in here!   :laugh2:

 
You have 1 TB of memory and want MORE?? How much porn do you have on that thing, Uno?

It's not really a derogatory term, Stim. I am a geek, and proud of it. I see the term as one having specialist knowledge.
Yeah i need more. There is so much good porn out there that i need more memory to save it all.

Seriously though, any ideas anyone on where to get another 1,2 or 3 TB from?

 
Does it need to be internal or external I recently got a Western Digital 2TB NAS drive for less than £100 from Ebuyer.

 
There is the geek i was looking for! Thanks DKW!!! It doesnt really matter to me. I would rather it be inside (although i wouldnt know how to put fit it. My friend who built it says there is room for two cards) but if it has to sit outside then so be it.

 
There is the geek i was looking for! Thanks DKW!!! It doesnt really matter to me. I would rather it be inside (although i wouldnt know how to put fit it. My friend who built it says there is room for two cards) but if it has to sit outside then so be it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Personal-Cloud-Storage-Network-Attached/dp/B00499DMRQ

This plugs direct into your router so can be accessed by anything thats on your network, be it a phone, laptop, smart TV or tablet etc. There are others on Amazon though, doesnt need to be this one.

 
Wow that does seem good. So if i put films or music on that could i play it on my ipad?

 
Yeah, can look at anything from any piece of kit basically. I have my TV hooked up, great to download a film using my tablet or phone, dump it on the NAS drive then watch it immediately on the telly. You can even access it from the outside world, but be careful as you need to open a port which is difficult to protect.

 
That all sounds great although im still unsure how you can watch it on your ipad. what app do you use to watch it?

How would you go about protecting an open port?

 
That all sounds great although im still unsure how you can watch it on your ipad. what app do you use to watch it?

How would you go about protecting an open port?
I dont use iOS but any streaming app should do the job.

To sort the port you could use a VPN client to give access and restrict anyone else getting to it, but I have used SFTP (https://www.eldos.com/sftp-net-drive/) but have only started messing around with it.

 
Thats just gone right over my head. Does that one also connect to a PC via USB?

 
Yeah, it has a USB slot so can connect direct to a pc. I hooked it up to my laptop initially to transfer everything as its a bit quicker than over WiFi.

 
What's your spending limit? There is a 4TB HD Western Digital drive availble for 144 : http://www.ebuyer.com/554538-wd-red-4tb-3-5-sata-6gb-s-64mb-hard-drive-wd40efrx I don't think you'll worry about running out of space any time soon.

Connecting an internal drive is pretty straight forward as well. You'll have two connectors, one coming off the power supply and the other coming of the motherboard going to the HDD. You will connect both on the hdd. Most of the time, windows will identify the hdd without any problems, but you might be required to map the drive in windows.

 
If your going to do that make sure your motherboard can connect it first, though I think they can connect to SATA 2 MB`s also.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top