Other old stuff.

Back then people used to go where ever there was a big match one, I'm sure they would have had a favourite but think noting of going to WHL or Highbury when the big teams were in town.
So true , and there wasn't the hatred and tribalism around then either. You went to other games to see some great teams and players, just to appreciate the skills and magic of the game.  In fact there's a video of Anfield  applauding a Bobby Charlton goal back in the day as United trounced Liverpool. .Wouldn't happen today for sure. That game was 69/70 season, but he scored a better goal 1971 season.

If you like football , and we all do,  the ovation he gets sums up for me what football is all about

 
Last edited by a moderator:
So true , and there wasn't the hatred and tribalism around then either. You went to other games to see some great teams and players, just to appreciate the skills and magic of the game.  In fact there's a video of Anfield  applauding a Bobby Charlton goal back in the day as United trounced Liverpool. .Wouldn't happen today for sure. That game was 69/70 season, but he scored a better goal 1971 season.

If you like football , and we all do,  the ovation he gets sums up for me what football is all about
Bobby Charlton’s last game was against us at the Bridge.

Believe he got a very good send off.

I watched Fulham a fair bit in the early/ mid 70s as a nipper. Think their gates doubled for a bit when Bestie came on board, mostly neutrals interested in seeing a great footballer rather than come out of the woodwork Fulham fans I guess.

Edit: Zola used to regularly get applauded by away fans- just one of those blokes you can’t help but like.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bobby Charlton’s last game was against us at the Bridge.

Believe he got a very good send off.

I watched Fulham a fair bit in the early/ mid 70s as a nipper. Think their gates doubled for a bit when Bestie came on board, mostly neutrals interested in seeing a great footballer rather than come out of the woodwork Fulham fans I guess.

Edit: Zola used to regularly get applauded by away fans- just one of those blokes you can’t help but like.
I used to go the Fulham and even QPR.  Living in Fulham in the 70’s meant I had friends who supported both clubs.  The Best/Marsh time as Fulham was enjoyable for the nearly neutral like me, still wanted them to lose mainly down the the half time announcer (David Hamilton?) milking it when Chelsea were losing away. 

 
I used to go the Fulham and even QPR.  Living in Fulham in the 70’s meant I had friends who supported both clubs.  The Best/Marsh time as Fulham was enjoyable for the nearly neutral like me, still wanted them to lose mainly down the the half time announcer (David Hamilton?) milking it when Chelsea were losing away. 
Diddy Hamilton !...I was in the Dun Cow Old Kent Road one night and he was the DJ... He nearly caused a riot when he said " hello" to non existent Brum fans as a joke... The place was in uproar !

 
Can only recognise a few and they might not be right. Possibly Graham Wilkins bottom left, Ray Lewington and Derek Richardson,  Ken Shellito, and Steve Finnieston and possibly Steve Wicks behind Shellito.

View attachment 11968
As Backbiter said, I think it's John Sparrow top left.

Maybe Ray Wilkins to the right of Derek Richardson, I think he often played a year or two above his age, so would have been a little 'un.  Teddy Maybank next to him?

 
As Backbiter said, I think it's John Sparrow top left.

Maybe Ray Wilkins to the right of Derek Richardson, I think he often played a year or two above his age, so would have been a little 'un.  Teddy Maybank next to him?
Could well be both of those.

 
Agree with John sparrow and derek Richardson, I think there is Graham Wilkins bottom left ,butch with his little head to the right of Richardson ,then not sure who , but then the tall lad is Steve wicks ,not sure ,not sure  ,Steve finniston sitting ,number 8 looks like lee frost the removal man ,not sure who the next two are, the blonde fella is annoying me ,then Brian bason

but heh tough 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Briley and Bason. Who is the really big guy at the back on the right? Looks a couple of inches taller than Wicks, who was a big bloke.

 
cheers Ewan Les Briley that's the fella

re the above figures ,they are brilliant but whats the story Bluehaze?  

size? material? how old are they ,why ? how ?etc but they are totally brilliant 

 
cheers Ewan Les Briley that's the fella

re the above figures ,they are brilliant but whats the story Bluehaze?  

size? material? how old are they ,why ? how ?etc but they are totally brilliant 
A mate sent me that picture a good while ago I clean up what I download every couple of months and I can't remember who sent it I'm afraid. There is a website called Runnin Riot Mailorder they do those models I think although not of football clubs.

Here's a good item that I found which mentions the Shed End and the photos that were posted of Eccles a few years ago. Presumably the guy had a change of heart about publishing more cause they were great and possibly he's got a book in the offing or someone offered him money for them.

https://creaseslikeknives.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/chelsea-shed-boys-rare-pictures-of-danny-eccles-co-surface/

 
cheers Blue ,they are superb ps thanks for the link -nice one ,loads of archive links to have a nose through 

the picture of Eccles is a timeless classic....

 
That’s taking me back the Dunn Cow. It’s now a doctors surgery. I’m not sure there’s a  single pub left on the Old Kent Rd these days. The World Turned Upside Down might be around? 

Must have been 20 booozers or fun pubs as they became from there down to Drovers and Samson’s in the 80s

First started going down there with Chelsea fans the J Brothers from Kennington in 82 as a 16 year old, then with an older Millwall fan I got to know through work. Dropped the latter out because him and his crowd were in the habit of coming home on a different motor every week and a bit heavy for me at the time.

 
A mate sent me that picture a good while ago I clean up what I download every couple of months and I can't remember who sent it I'm afraid. There is a website called Runnin Riot Mailorder they do those models I think although not of football clubs.

Here's a good item that I found which mentions the Shed End and the photos that were posted of Eccles a few years ago. Presumably the guy had a change of heart about publishing more cause they were great and possibly he's got a book in the offing or someone offered him money for them.

https://creaseslikeknives.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/chelsea-shed-boys-rare-pictures-of-danny-eccles-co-surface/
Before my time but always fascinated with skinhead. The fellas wearing Harrington’s and Sheepies should have been at the front- think leather was avoided due to Greebo/ Biker associations at the time.

Love the facial expressions. The little geyser at the front reminds me a bit of Wisey- when Wimbledon played Liverpool in the 89 Cup Final the night before the Wimbledon squad were cooped up in the Cannizzaro House Hotel off Wimbledon Common. Morning of the game Wise and Vinny Jones escaped for an hour and decided to get crop/ skinhead cuts at my mates that’s still got the same hairdressers on Worple Rd Wimbledon.

Edit: that was pretty bold in 89- the only footballer that springs to mind with a crop back then was Steve Bull to my recollection 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bluehaze brilliant ,loads of memories ,I forget that we sang you’ll never walk alone ,that was the 4 2 Liverpool cup game ,loved the home kit and the green and yellow away ,loved the joy on his face when Tommy Langley scored ,had a cold shiver seeing Trevor aylott ,loved seeing lee frost ,happy removal memories, Ray Wilkins and Gary Stanley scoring blinders ,loved the goals and the ball boys behind the goals  who always jumped up in the same way or so it seemed , always wondered how Ron Harris felt having played with so many great teams and then suffering with the kids ,fair play he hung around to teach them and finally fans on the pitch in pure celebration ....brilliant 

 
Back
Top