Other old stuff.

Yeah I agree Gabicci was 81 or so. Very popular with mods now I did have a Gabicci roll neck back in the day. The recent only fools and horses doc the woman in charge of wardrobe said Del Boy wore a lot of Gabicci as she thought the clothes were awful and some of their jumpers were pretty hideous.
One of my favourite ever jumpers was a Gabicci, charcoal grey, merino wool, turtleneck. No trim or fancy bits at all, just a black G in the usual place.

 
I'm guessing it's 66 or earlier, Terry Venables had gone by 67 I think,
Yeah, we got beat by Liverpool in the semi final in 1965, think we played them at Easter and won 4-0.. I might be getting it all mixed up though but we had a massive crowd that day, certainly looks like it judging by the West terrace there

 
England 1-0 Scotland 1913 the obligatory flat cap being worn I can't see a head without one.

ESxNLJhXQAMRMUB


 
Wasn’t the West Terrace replaced by the West Stand in 65...not sure when in 65 mind?
If your right then I reckon it was the season we nearly won it but for the Blackpool.incident. Still got it in my mind it was against Liverpool though. Gonna dig around cheers

 
Wasn’t the West Terrace replaced by the West Stand in 65...not sure when in 65 mind?
 Just checked.....I think it's 1964/1965 season. Just checked we played Liverpool on good friday, won 4-0 in front of 62,000, played next day at home West Brom , 30,000. It was the season  Liverpool beat us in semi final.

They must have started the West stand 65/67 season.?

I'm convinced that picture is the Good Friday Liverpool game., I was squashed on North stand end with my little brother ! Can't remember yesterday though !

 
First one probably posted before I just wished JD was nearer the front to get a better view for his hair. Don't remember Striker before my time but definitely remember the football cards with the bubble gum. Did anyone else play a game throwing them called knocksy and toppsy where you laid them upright against the wall and knocked them over or you placed some on the floor and tried to throw another one on top ha ha.

ES8NmlKWkAAaIIP.jpg

ESb_foeX0AAOKp4.jpg

ESItIBJXYAce8JQ.jpg

ESItII3X0AYR5qx.jpg

 
Last edited by a moderator:
 Just checked.....I think it's 1964/1965 season. Just checked we played Liverpool on good friday, won 4-0 in front of 62,000, played next day at home West Brom , 30,000. It was the season  Liverpool beat us in semi final.

They must have started the West stand 65/67 season.?

I'm convinced that picture is the Good Friday Liverpool game., I was squashed on North stand end with my little brother ! Can't remember yesterday though !
Did you go to the Spurs FA Cup replay in 64? 

67,000 gate with another 10,000 locked outside.

Remember about it in Bates’s propaganda rag, the Bridge News. Terry Venables did a feature about his time at Chelsea- think he might have been Barcelona manager at the time.

He used that gate as an example of what a big club we were- albeit just out of the “ sleeping giant “ tag we had for a few years when crowds were really sh*t.

 
Did you go to the Spurs FA Cup replay in 64? 

67,000 gate with another 10,000 locked outside.

Remember about it in Bates’s propaganda rag, the Bridge News. Terry Venables did a feature about his time at Chelsea- think he might have been Barcelona manager at the time.

He used that gate as an example of what a big club we were- albeit just out of the “ sleeping giant “ tag we had for a few years when crowds were really sh*t.
No didn't go that night mate but I remember someone telling me their was loads of shoes le[SIZE=1.4rem]ft on the terraces that night such was the squash in the ground dunno.if that's a myth but the image has always stuck in mind ![/SIZE]

Edit.... Wasn't it 70,000, or was that a couple of years before ? We deffo t

had a 70,000 crowd in the 1960s

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Did you go to the Spurs FA Cup replay in 64? 

67,000 gate with another 10,000 locked outside.

Remember about it in Bates’s propaganda rag, the Bridge News. Terry Venables did a feature about his time at Chelsea- think he might have been Barcelona manager at the time.

He used that gate as an example of what a big club we were- albeit just out of the “ sleeping giant “ tag we had for a few years when crowds were really sh*t.
Just checked mate it was 70,000 that night in January 1964..I remember over 60,000 crowds in the 1960s with reports of up to 20,000 locked out at one game v Utd.

 
Just checked mate it was 70,000 that night in January 1964..I remember over 60,000 crowds in the 1960s with reports of up to 20,000 locked out at one game v Utd.
Thanks RS. I’m guessing Spurs would have been the top draw crowd wise in the early 60s and Man Utd in the second half of the decade...

I think the appeal of the Law, Charlton, Best team must have been the first time in this country that people supported a side in mass that wasn’t local?

Cant imagine Londoners in previous decades following for instance Blackpool or Preston because of Matthews and Finney.

 
Thanks RS. I’m guessing Spurs would have been the top draw crowd wise in the early 60s and Man Utd in the second half of the decade...

I think the appeal of the Law, Charlton, Best team must have been the first time in this country that people supported a side in mass that wasn’t local?

Cant imagine Londoners in previous decades following for instance Blackpool or Preston because of Matthews and Finney.
Back then people used to go where ever there was a big match one, I'm sure they would have had a favourite but think noting of going to WHL or Highbury when the big teams were in town.

 
Back then people used to go where ever there was a big match one, I'm sure they would have had a favourite but think noting of going to WHL or Highbury when the big teams were in town.
Funny you saying that as was thinking on the old man, he was not a regular fan though attended Millwall and the only one he can remember is when Tommy Lawton went to Millwall.

Surprisingly,  I just discovered Lawton played for us too, scoring 30 goals in 46-47. 

 
Can only recognise a few and they might not be right. Possibly Graham Wilkins bottom left, Ray Lewington and Derek Richardson,  Ken Shellito, and Steve Finnieston and possibly Steve Wicks behind Shellito.

ETVOc2vXQAADYwi.jpg

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top