Rangers 2019/2020 Match Day Thread

 Great result for the 'Gers. Makes up for recent indifferent form in the League.

WATP 

 
Frustrating as feck mate,from the highs of the Europa league games to the dross served up in the League games.

 
Great Rangers win, advancing to the next round and beating Braga(Benfica's B team) who are in great shape. As much as I like Rangers I haven't watch a lot of games from them this season. Any particular reason why they can't perform this good in the league?

 
Great turn-out by Rangers fans last night. In fine voice in the ground. The fans on the way to the ground:

87366664_1407251496108889_2564865958485164032_n.jpg


 
Disappointing result for the 'Gers tonight but were up against a very good Bayer Leverkusen side. Will need a miracle in Germany. Assuming the game takes place.

Big game on Sunday.

WATP.

 
Miracles in Germany are always for the Germans, Boyne!

Most of the time in the last minute.

 
I doubt they will finish the competition this season.
I hope that's the case. The other day Popcorn Teeth (Neil Lennon) said Celtic should be given the title due to the number of games played. Before the suspension, it was inevitable that the lot from the dark side would win the title but if they aren't awarded it I would crack open a bottle of whisky.

 
As there is no football at the moment I thought I'd start posting a few Rangers pictures from years gone by. Here's Durrant after scoring in the 2-1 win over Celtic in the 1986 Scottish League Cup Final. Davie Cooper scored the other 'Gers goal.

WATP.

FB_IMG_1584802327206.jpg

 
11918e27f5ab908f9f02493eccf06255.jpg


The team which won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1972. Some fine players in this side.

 
Today is the 25th anniversary of the passing of the great Davie Cooper at the age of 39. One of the finest players ever to grace the game and I would choose him as the most skillful British player I've seen. Yes, he had off days like all great players but on his day ripped defences to pieces.

Ruud Guillit chose Cooper in his all-time great eleven. Praise indeed. Here's a great tribute to him.



@moi Here's a picture of the great man for you.

b09d63da57ffacdbfdb2a58f06edf574.jpg


 
13 hours ago, Boyne said:

Today is the 25th anniversary of the passing of the great Davie Cooper at the age of 39. One of the finest players ever to grace the game and I would choose him as the most skillful British player I've seen. Yes, he had off days like all great players but on his day ripped defences to pieces.

Ruud Guillit chose Cooper in his all-time great eleven. Praise indeed. Here's a great tribute to him.


Davie Cooper was SO beautiful!  Made that Cudicini bloke look very ordinary @Valerie  I met Davie once when he came to our local town with Mo Johnston to talk to the youngsters about football and be interviewed b y the local paper.

I also  remember the first game Mo Johnston played for Rangers - the first Catholic ever to be signed by Rangers.  After the match local TV journalists were interviewing the Weegies as they poured out of Ibrox.  There was one wee man with a Rangers scarf wound tight round his neck and a dowp hanging from his mouth. When asked what he thought of the signing he wailed "It's a f**kin tragedy, so it is!"

 
Davie Cooper was SO beautiful!  Made that Cudicini bloke look very ordinary @Valerie  I met Davie once when he came to our local town with Mo Johnston to talk to the youngsters about football and be interviewed b y the local paper.

I also  remember the first game Mo Johnston played for Rangers - the first Catholic ever to be signed by Rangers.  After the match local TV journalists were interviewing the Weegies as they poured out of Ibrox.  There was one wee man with a Rangers scarf wound tight round his neck and a dowp hanging from his mouth. When asked what he thought of the signing he wailed "It's a f**kin tragedy, so it is!"
One of my aunts used to work in the John Menzies newsagents in Hamilton (not far from Glasgow) and Davie often went into the shop and stopped to chat to the staff.

I remember Mo Johnston signing for Rangers. It had looked like he was going to sign for Celtic for a second time after playing in France. On the way home from work in London I picked up a copy of the London Evening Standard and on the back page there was a headline which stated that Johnston signs for Rangers: see inside. My first thought was that he had signed for QPR as some media outlets had the habit of calling that lot Rangers. A poor error of judgement as there is only one Rangers. Anyway, I turned to the inside pages and Johnston had signed for THE Rangers. I was shocked, thinking that this is going to cause problems. 

A few months later, Johnston scored the only goal in a win over Celtic at Ibrox. He did enjoy scoring the goal. He was certainly the first high profile catholic to sign for Rangers. Not sure he was the first as John Spencer was on the books at Rangers before Johnston signed. 

 
  • Like
Reactions: moi
Davie after scoring from a penalty in the 1986 Scottish League Cup Final. The first trophy under the management of Souness.

90790485_2237002829927186_2029016767665274880_o.jpg


 
Back
Top