BBC News
Are hardback books things of 'great beauty' or a dying art?Readers, publishers, shops and libraries share their thoughts on the hardback's future.
I've bought and read hundreds, if not thousands, of books over the years and have to admit that the ones I have bought and those I've borrowed from libraries take up a lot of space in my house. Shelves are starting to bow! I inherited a love of books from my father and he and his father were prolific readers. I love the look and feel of books, something you don't experience and enjoy with e-books. I've read a few e-books and though the story or account is the same as in a paperback or hardback it didn't feel right. I worked in a U.K. Government's IT Department and my colleagues knew that I loved books and they asked why, if I worked in IT, I didn't have a kindle. My response was that it's because I work in IT that I didn't have a kindle. It was good to have a break from IT.
With a paper or hardback you don't have to worry about charging a kindle, Just need a bookmark. I've had to replace a couple of paperbacks over the years. One of which was Stephen King's The Stand. I read my original copy so many times it was starting to fall apart so I had to buy a replacement. I've also have several first editions of books which were signed by the author. I have a book about the Mosquito aeroplane which wasn't signed by the author but was signed by four RAF personnel who flew in that wonderful aeroplane in WW2. One of my prized possessions.
Books are beautiful!