The John Terry Appreciation Thread

I’m still disappointed Frank Lampard didn’t take on John Terry as his assistant while here, that would have been glorious.
Lampard explained this on Obi Mikel's podcast last year.

One was a problem of timing, after Potter the owners only gave Lampard 3 days to get his team together so he took his team from Everton + Ashley Cole on set pieces. Terry was considering an offer from Leiceister (which he took anyway).

In the same interview Lampard praises Terry for his work in the dressing room but isn't sure how he would go as a #2. He thinks Terry should be out there managing himself.

Also another interesting tidbit from the interview was Lampard saying he had to work hard on his long passing, because of the different standards in quality between West Ham and Chelsea. He said he felt embarassed at first because guys like Jody Morris, John Terry and Eidur Gudjohnsen were able to ping a 60-yard pass with either foot, whereas he could barely do that with his right! He talks about the mentoring they had from Desailly and co and then both he and Mikel pointed out the lack of that knowledge transfer in the current Chelsea setup.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
526002966.jpg


I absolutely loved watching these two play together, I really feel like Ivanovic doesn’t get enough appreciation. IMO he was one of the best right backs we’ve ever had. He was just… sheer power.

 
touch-icon-36.4462ac53e0.png
BBC Sport
0a758a10-9fa9-11f0-bcf9-91615bda46dc.jpg
Wayne Rooney: Defenders now not as good as in my dayWayne Rooney says the current crop of defenders are not as good as they were in his day - and rates the top five best he played against.
Names JT and Riccy Carvalho in his top five opposition defenders. Also recognises JT's often-overlooked skill with both feet.

 
From @PurelyFootball on X.

John Terry: "When Andre Villas-Boas came in, we went to Hong Kong and I'm sitting in economy on a 13-hour flight. We've got Josh McEachran, Nathaniel Chalobah, and a couple of other young players all in first class. This was part of AVB (Villas-Boas) going, 'No, no, no player's bigger than me, everyone's the same. So I'm on the plane going, 'No, I'm not going anywhere until these young players go back in economy and the first-team players, that have built this club to where we are today, go back in first.

AVB comes up and says 'What's the problem?' I'm going 'Well, I'm not going anywhere until the young players move'. To be fair to the young players they were going, 'Listen JT, it's really uncomfortable we'll go back'. I'm then going, 'No it's not your decision it has to come from him (Villas-Boas), and he has to own it'. In the end, it all spins to first-team players flying first class, and younger players back to economy. He tried to make a statement on day one and he failed instantly. I promise you, the plane wasn't going. If it was going, it would've gone without me, Frank, and Didier."

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FPurelyFootball%2Fstatus%2F1978219262067241310&widget=Tweet

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Supposed quote from JT.

John Terry: “For me the one thing that’s missing is being manager (of Chelsea). It’s my one last dream, I’ve done everything at Chelsea.”

I have also heard him tell an interviewer that he doubt's it will ever happen. Still it's nice to know he wants it.

 
From @PurelyFootball on X.

John Terry: "When Andre Villas-Boas came in, we went to Hong Kong and I'm sitting in economy on a 13-hour flight. We've got Josh McEachran, Nathaniel Chalobah, and a couple of other young players all in first class. This was part of AVB (Villas-Boas) going, 'No, no, no player's bigger than me, everyone's the same. So I'm on the plane going, 'No, I'm not going anywhere until these young players go back in economy and the first-team players, that have built this club to where we are today, go back in first.

AVB comes up and says 'What's the problem?' I'm going 'Well, I'm not going anywhere until the young players move'. To be fair to the young players they were going, 'Listen JT, it's really uncomfortable we'll go back'. I'm then going, 'No it's not your decision it has to come from him (Villas-Boas), and he has to own it'. In the end, it all spins to first-team players flying first class, and younger players back to economy. He tried to make a statement on day one and he failed instantly. I promise you, the plane wasn't going. If it was going, it would've gone without me, Frank, and Didier."

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FPurelyFootball%2Fstatus%2F1978219262067241310&widget=Tweet
When he first told this story, rival fans were quick to get smug and use this against him, AS IF their clubs senior players would act any different, or at least be happy about it. Absolute amateur hour from AVB, David Brent-cringe worthy stuff really, and the most insane angle, is the fact these youngsters like Josh at the time was still on about £2m py, and riding around in the latest Range Rover. So if anything, you always need to humble the youngsters; going first class like JT, Lamps, Didier etc should be something to aspire to. And above all, it was an empty gesture, making things unnecessarily awkward. What was going through his mind! 😅

 
The Ferdinand thing has probably been commented on here before, but I've always asked the question...What did Anton say to JT before JT responded to it ? I've heard different stories , maybe that it was a personal thing about JTs wife ?

Anyone know??

 
The Ferdinand thing has probably been commented on here before, but I've always asked the question...What did Anton say to JT before JT responded to it ? I've heard different stories , maybe that it was a personal thing about JTs wife ?

Anyone know??
Anton said to the ref that JT had called him that. JT responded to him by saying I didn't call you that, which is what is seen clearly on the video! The press published a video blurring his mouth of the 'I didn't call you a' so it just left the words in that they wanted you to see!

 
Anton said to the ref that JT had called him that. JT responded to him by saying I didn't call you that, which is what is seen clearly on the video! The press published a video blurring his mouth of the 'I didn't call you a' so it just left the words in that they wanted you to see!
I am actually an expert lip reader and can confirm that JT was calling the ref a 'blind c**t'

 
Back
Top